Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Hy-Gain TH2-MK3 Help

Reviews Summary for Hy-Gain TH2-MK3
Hy-Gain TH2-MK3 Reviews: 11 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $369.95
Description: Hy-Gain 2 Element Trapped Tribander
More info: http://www.hy-gain.com/products.php?prodid=TH-2MK3

You can write your own review of the Hy-Gain TH2-MK3.

KE2TR Rating: 4/5 Nov 5, 2017 05:38 Send this review to a friend
Good small tri band beam  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I would have rated it a 5 but since MFJ purchased HY Gain the overall quality of parts needs some attention but if you have been a ham for a few years and been around the block this can easily be overcome. Having owned most of the popular brands of antennas such as HyGain,Mosley,KLM,Force 12 plus a few HB beams this was a very small issue for me but for a NewBee ham it might be a PITA. The bad is the swagged elements are not manufactured like what the old HYGain company produced, MFJ should take note hear cause what I ended up doing is when I had the antenna finally assembled and the swr seemed proper I pop riveted all the elements together. Another thing is the grade of SS hardware is cheap and they would have been better with plated hardware then you paint it cause the grade of this SS hardware gals way too easily.
The good is its performance for a TRAPPED antenna, first off they use hy Q traps so don't expect to cover the who band and still get gain, you decide which part of the band you op most and set it , I set this one for phone and when I use CW use the antenna tuner cause its around 3:1 in CW. But the performance on phone is good, at a low 33' this antenna is easily 3-4 S units over a ZS6BKW at 50' when the station is broadside to the wire but off its ends it like no copy on the wire and great on the little TH2. I would say the gains is right were they spec it out and maybe better even on 20m but the FB is not to shabby either, anywhere from 15 to 20db depending of were the station is, around 15db on most stateside and I have seen around 20db on DX. I have to say that after having owned some of the F12 C3 series that there FB always sucked, they may have had a little more gain but that was it but since they had no traps there swr bandwidth was better but look at the price differences between these two antennas.
If MFJ could work harder on trying to copy the early HyGain antenna manufacturing they could make this antenna a five plus use different hardware plus the boom to mast system is a huge waste, two galvanized 2" muffler clamps would be better.
So for beginners I would not recommend but for the ham who has been around the antenna block this is an excellent under $350 antenna.

NY6DX Rating: 2/5 Sep 20, 2015 17:38 Send this review to a friend
EH  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I read reviews and figured nuts and bolts would be missing but having to make missing tubes for the traps. Quality control seems to be a big issue with Hy Gain. Guess I will be going back to force 12 antennas.

EA3AJP Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2014 01:03 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Excellent antenna has great performance over the 14 years that I have had installed has never had any problems, the best directional antenna for small spaces, with her win first place in Spain in 20m WORL WIDE DX CONTEST 2000 in fonia cw and first place in 2011.
Easy assembly and quality materials.
Deshacer cambios

PD2R Rating: 3/5 Dec 29, 2011 03:06 Send this review to a friend
Needs work out of the box but performs OK  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I assembled this antenna two years ago, it needed some some work before it could fit together properly. The tubes wouldn't fit because the lager diameter tubes were considerably bigger then the smaller diameter tubes. Instead of using shims to make them fit I decided to cut the tubes a little more. This way the provided hose clamps were able to compress the bigger tube snugly around the smaller tube. Unfortunately it took me two hose clamps before I figured this out so I had to go to the hardware store to get replacements.

Up until now I have only used the antenna during field day and one IOTA contest. For a two element yagi it does perform nicely. I was able to compare this antenna with a Spiderbeam yagi. The Spiderbeam performed better but that is to be aspected since the Spiderbeam uses full size elements and has three elements on 20 and 15 meters, and even 4 elements on 10 meter.
The TH2-MK3 still performed very good on 20 and 15 meters. I can't say how it performs on 10 meter because 10 wasn't open when we used this antenna.

Can't say anything about the longevity of the antenna since we only used it for a couple of days at a time.

All in all I think it's a reasonable antenna at a fair price. However, I do feel the manufacturer could do a better job manufacturing this antenna so it will fit together nicely straight out of the box.

WC1X Rating: 0/5 May 5, 2008 23:14 Send this review to a friend
Missing parts, poor workmanship.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Missing parts. Poor workmanship.

Purchased antenna in Jan '08. Moved home at that time so I did not "take inventory" until March 2008. Discovered that the hardware pack was missing. The ham radio dealer was informed and he said "tuff shitski" since it had been more than 30 days since purchase date. So I ordered a new hardware pack from the manufacturer($70). Received the hardware pack and discovered it had 9 missing 5/16"-18 hex nuts. I then purchased these missing hex nuts locally. Finally it was time to assemble antenna, discovered that 4 of the alluminum tubes were not swaged properly and I had to insert alluminum shims to fix.
I had the same issue with another antenna from the same manufacture. I will never again do business with this company.

WB1FFI Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2008 13:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for its size  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have my tribander for 18 years, recently had the beam down to change out the rotor. My beam is only up about 30 feet mast mounted. I have had good dx particularly on 20 meters recently, though also on 15 meters in years past. Not very active in past on 10 meters. The side rejection is adequate and the gain is sufficient to hear weak signals and be heard working barefoot. The beam has a neighbor friendly profile and stands up to high winds extremely well. If you have limited space and desire some direction to your signal, this beam does the job.

PD3GIJ Rating: 4/5 Dec 24, 2006 06:06 Send this review to a friend
For a two elements beam very good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I made my first contacts with this beam on 10 m with Moldavia (5/9) and Italy (5/9) on 20m. I use only 25 Watts so this results give a good feeling about this antenna. As I am a Novice-station with a small mast for light-weight antenna's I think this antenna is ideal in my circomstances. Even the wind has little grip on this antenna and for neighbours its acceptable.

KC4CP Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2006 09:33 Send this review to a friend
SUPER  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned this beam for 8 years ... & then gave it to a friend (who has had it up for another 5 years). It has performed flawlessly! I would have never gotten rid of it, except that I wanted something with 17 meters (I now use the Cushcraft MA5B).

I worked my first 160 countries with it ... and I ran legal limit through it. No, it is not a 6 element monoband beam. But for what it is ... it performs great! The boom is only about 6 feet long. So, it keeps the neighbors happy.

For the difference in db gain ... and the hassles of a larger beam ... I prefer the Hy-Gain.

It is a huge improvement (and I mean "huge") over a dipole or a vertical.

David ... WR4N (ex KC4CP)

G0TIY Rating: 4/5 Dec 16, 2006 08:21 Send this review to a friend
you wont be disappointed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am able to compare this as i had to take down my A3S small
property unfriendly neighbours.So i put up the TH2-MK3
in its place.Not expecting the same performances
as the A3S i was very surprised just how good this
little beam works 5/9 reports into 9K(Kuwait)and 5/9 into c5(Gambia)5/9+ reports into Europe.SWR is rock solid as instruction manual,F/B measured at 18/20db side rejection also effective to the point
where i totally lost the station i was listening to when i beamed away from him. All this with the cycle at it's lowest can't
wait until it picks up im sure i will continue to be very pleasantly surprised.My conclusion is this beam dose do exactly what it states in the manual. To be honest i don't really see much difference than my old A3S? so im totally happy with it.And the neighbours (hi)so if you have a small property and want something that wont stand out and be neighbour friendly i would recommend this antenna.I would have given it 4.5 but could not find it on this page.Antennas owned and used by me TH3JR ZX2000 A3S Butternut HF5B This Beam is without doubt the best of all the small beams i have used and the SWR is rock solid not so with other small beams i have used The SWR was always fluctuating in wet weather.Regards John G0TIY 73

M0PRO Rating: 3/5 Aug 2, 2006 12:43 Send this review to a friend
Not for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased a very cheap TH2 Mk3 in excellent condition to put on my small tower.

Build quality is excellent, the antenna gives the impression that it will last for years. The instructions are good and it was very easy to tune.

Performace isn't great though, at the end of the day it's only a trapped 2 element tribander, so don't expect miracles. Front to back isn't great, and there obviously isn't much gain. Local and DX stations sound just strong on the front, back and side of this antenna.

Conclusion: If you haven't already got a suitable mast/tower and rotator and want to use 20, 15 and 10 with limited space, I wouldn't reccomend going through the expense and hassle of buying and errecting this antenna when you will probably do just as well with a resonant coax fed wire dipole or delta loop costing far far less.

FYI, this antenna retails at 349.95 here in the UK.