Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | WB6ZQZ Pneumatic Antenna Launcher Help

Reviews Summary for WB6ZQZ Pneumatic Antenna Launcher
WB6ZQZ Pneumatic Antenna Launcher Reviews: 10 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $100
Description: Compressed-air tennis ball launcer for
stringing wire antennas into trees
More info: http://www.qsl.net/wb6zqz/csv19/

You can write your own review of the WB6ZQZ Pneumatic Antenna Launcher.

VE6KK Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2014 20:06 Send this review to a friend
Essential for outdoor portable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my unit for several years and regret not writing a review. This has simply got to be one of the best ham tools and toys I have bought. It is so much safer than a bow or slingshot or launchers that use a hard projectile. I easily shoot a line over 80-100 ft. D-firs. I have tried a slingshot but all I got was insult and injury (don't ask). A small water bottle thrown is ok for 15-20 ft. Don't try too much pressure, often 40-50psi is all that is needed. I use tennis balls with a loop of fishing line through and a swivel/clip tied on. A one ounce weight inside is best but rocks will do. I have shot the ball off the line if it snags, so I recommend a good reel. Get the barrel adapter so you can take the reel off. I HATE monoflament as it tends to curl if not under tension, so am going to try a braided "Spectra" type line. I have the launcher, a bicycle foot pump, the reel, several prepared balls, a rag and knife all in a small backpack as my antenna go-kit.

I first tried sourcing parts for this, never mind the time, the 2-1/2 in. PVC barrel is rare in Canada and who wants 10ft. of it? It is true that you should take your time and build this right. I was not happy with the ugly yellow PVC glue so got some clear stuff. It is worth masking before painting too - I did just my pipes blue with Krylon Fusion paint. I made an aluminum strip to steady the gun handle. I had a wee leak at the pressure gauge but I could plug and re-locate - seems fine now. Hint- the gauge needs a thin spanner- I found one at a dollar store.

Get one, you will have a ball:) I showed mine off to students and at an indoor ham meet shooting tee-shirts, a hoot. Try snowballs for the neighbours' dogs to chase. And don't worry of your ammo is a bit small - smoother tennis balls and the smaller cheap import dog balls work ok. Fluorescent street hockey balls are a bit fat but go like stink. Shoot 'em straight up, they may never land!

N3ETA Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2011 11:45 Send this review to a friend
A must have!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you use wire antennas and you have trees you have got to have one of these! I've used sling shots , surf fishing rod and reel, bow and arrow, crossbow, even a ball thrower (For dogs) with a spinning reel on top. The CSV-19 makes them all seem like stoneage technology. With this you can put a line right where you want it
as much as 200' in or over a tree. Small enough to take to field day. Fill it with anything from a compressor to a bicycle tire pump. Adjust your desired height with the amount of pressure (Gauge built in). You can buy as a kit or pre-built and ready to use.I ordered the kit which came with everything needed including Teflon tape and a tap for the gauge, valve stem and safety relief valve. All I needed to pickup was some PVC primer and cement. If you have any mechanical ability at all you should have no problem building the kit. If you don't want to deal with building a kit the Pre assembled version wasn't much more. I had a lot of fun building the kit. It worked great on the first shot. Well worth the money spent.
N3ETA

VE3XKD Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2008 16:43 Send this review to a friend
Very Useful Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the kit and built it myself over the summer. The instructions available on the web were very good, and the e-mail support I received was fantastic! I have some very tall (70 ft plus) trees at my qth and wanted to get up a wire antenna for 40 and 80. In the past, I have tried bow and arrow and sling-shot. The bow was too dangerous to use in the suburbs, and the EZ-hang sling-shot couldn't get high enough. The CSV, however, works really well and out-performs the other systems I have used! I use a bicycle foot pump to pump it up to 90 psi, 10 or so easy strokes of the pump is all it takes.

K2CG Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2007 19:58 Send this review to a friend
The Best for all Field Antennas  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The CSV-19 Pneumatic Antenna Launcher is simply the best for safe, consistent, and very high placement shots that are virtually impossible with any other portable device.

The kit arrived promptly from WB6ZQZ. I downloaded the assembly instructions from the internet and I can not emphasize enough to thoroughly review and understand all aspects of the instructions. All of my questions about the assembly process were quickly answered via email. I used a bicycle tire pump to test my CSV-19 up to 100psi for the initial safety test. I think a bicycle tire pump will continue to be my primary means for charging the pressure chamber, approximately 50-60 strokes gave me 40psi. The CSV-19 pressure chamber pressure gauge makes it very easy to establish and deliver consistent height and trajectory with very little practice. The only downside to the CSV-19 is the size and weight is just too impractical for backpacking. However for all other operations is has to be the best.

I have searched the internet looking at several types of pneumatic, or other type of propellant launchers, WB6ZQZ produces the finest compact quality device available bar none.

I have used a slingshot for years to set up my field antennas. Using a slingshot is a perishable skill that requires practice in order to reliably place shots to string antennas. You are also very limited to a maximum height of 30-50 feet with a slingshot. I will continue to use a slingshot for my backpacking trips. However for all other applications the CSV-19 will be my antenna launching device for home and local field trip applications. It is simply the best.

KD4DTM Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2007 19:14 Send this review to a friend
Better than imagined!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I could not be happier! It works great, is fun to use, and you will be the envy of your friends. There is no easier way to put up antennas, period. I strongly recommend that you buy the kit or the completed unit from Alan. I have access to a lot of tools, and it took me forever. I am certain that spent more than the price of the kit by the time I bought an extra tool or two, more material than I needed, etc.

K9JM Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2007 10:32 Send this review to a friend
Amazing  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bad news: It will take you longer to build and you will invest more time and money in building this than you think. Good news: Once completed the easiest part of putting up any wire antenna will be getting the line over the tree. Here in California we have many >> 150 foot pines. No problem. I have used bows, sling shots, soft balls... nothing holds a candle to this. Never lost a tennis ball and haven't had to explain why there is a arrow in a tree. In decent weather shooting two trees for a dipole takes less than 10 minutes, including packing and unpacking. Highly recommended.

KA1BVE Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2006 19:39 Send this review to a friend
Still a satisfied customer.......  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm one of the Field Day captains for the Stamford Amatuer Radio Association(SARA). We've run QRP for our last three Field Days, and it's a real challenge to work a lot of stations on 5 watts. I purchased the WB6ZQZ Antenna Launcher last year to use for the club's Field Day effort and had excellent results with it. Getting the wires up at a good height makes a big difference. Our club used it again this year to put up our 3 wire antennas with great results once again. It's an outstanding product, every club should consider getting one.

KZ1X Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2006 17:57 Send this review to a friend
I agree, why did I wait?  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have now reduced the work of antenna assembly and experimentation to near zero with this launcher, so I can concentrate on the best part, the antennas themselves! This kit is worth its weight in fun. And, I am the MAN at Field Day! I also used everything else, bows and arrows, slingshots, ball-and-bat, you name it. These other methods work, but NOwhere near as well, as fast, or as accurate as this launcher. I only wish I'd have done it sooner.

KI4LYX Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2006 17:36 Send this review to a friend
great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Works exactly as described. Shoots far taller than any tree available. Very accurate.

W1ITT Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2005 13:05 Send this review to a friend
must have  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For years I've been using a crossbow and worrying what the bolt is going to land on (or in.) Shooting tennis balls is much safer, at least as much fun and I don't have to worry others by skulking about with the crossbow . I'm glad I went for the full kit, as it saves a lot of machining and procurement problems. Alan's instructions are informative and complete, and the parts are all high quality. The finished unit works as described. Every Field Day group needs one of these things. Maybe I'm going to have too much fun with my new toy!