Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | BHI NES 10-2 MKII noise eliminating speaker Help

Reviews Summary for BHI NES 10-2 MKII noise eliminating speaker
BHI NES 10-2 MKII noise eliminating speaker Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $99.00 GBP
Description: NES10-2 MKII Adjustable Noise Eliminating Speaker.
Flagship DSP speaker with many features ideal for amateur radio. The MK II features power on/off switch with audio bypass.

More info: http://www.bhi-ltd.co.uk/

You can write your own review of the BHI NES 10-2 MKII noise eliminating speaker.

VK4MKE Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2008 19:49 Send this review to a friend
good on the ears  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a good thing,much better than the DSP in my ic718 and 706g I run the recieve audio through my sp20 icom speaker from the audio jack located in the most useless location on the side of the unit.Its a pitty that all the switches cant be located on one side only its a bit like a rubbics cube, anyway a good sounds comes from within. buy one

G0SLQ Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2008 03:25 Send this review to a friend
Every shack should have one!  Time owned: months
I bought this last year some time and put it in a box until I sorted out the shack. I purchased a TD480HX this week and was amazed with the receive DSP, NR, BC etc. I then dug this out and added it and started playing with the settings - I recommend changing the settings to find optimum for your own needs.

It really works! - not just reducing noise, but doing so without degrading signal - yes you can really hear what was below the noise level before. I was cynical (shame on me). I don't normally like ext. speakers, preferring the sound from the radio's own speaker, but adding this is no hardship - especially as I have many radios. It works with all of them.

As a cruel test, I now go looking for noise and QRM just to switch on what I call the "magic button". - surprised there are not more reviews on here, especially as we all know DSP doesn't always work on a lot of radios.

This certainly works!

EA5XQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2007 09:33 Send this review to a friend
Superb not only the filter but also the support!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've got the filter one year ago and I'm actually very happy with it, it performs very well.

I'm using it with my IC756 as a complement of its filters and also with my FT817 in QRP operations. It actually works as showed in their web site, it is able to remove literally all the disturbing noise during a QSO.

But, it is not only important to provide a good (or better said) a very good product to the market like NES 10-2 MKII does but also to provide a good technical support after the sale and I have to say that the technical support that I received has not been only "good", it has been EXCELLENT (and this is the main point as a key differentiator in business). I had twice little problems with my filter and BHI helped me a lot, sending me a new unit, providing me all the help required and now works again fine.

In summary, highly recommended not only because the filter is good but also because if you have a problem with the unit, they will help you.

OE3SGU Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2006 13:25 Send this review to a friend
Nice addition to the shack  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The speaker is a nice addition to any ham shack, it really improves a noisy signal a lot. I wish they grade of noise limitation could be switched easier...

ZL2AUA Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2006 21:57 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this for just over a year now, and I am really impressed with it.
I generally use a headset, as the small speaker is a bit limited and I prefer to operate with my hands free anyway, using VOX with a headset. The phone socket on the NES10-2 cuts off the speaker when in use, as one would expect.
The 12-volt supply needs to be clean. The 13.8v supply out the back of my Icom 735 is very noisy, and when I first tried the NES10-2 on it, the NES10-2 amplified the hash, so I now run it off a small ex-burglar alarm sealed battery, which I haven't had to recharge in over a year.
The NES10-2 is completely useless in fact worse than useless on CW, as it thinks that the signal is an interfering heterodyne, and does its best to eliminate it altogether. Considering that it is actually the desired signal, this can be a bit disconcerting until you remember to turn the thing off.
Still, I hardly ever listen to CW, so I don't find that a problem. On SSB it's just brilliant, and I thoroughly recommend it.

G3LGR Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2005 12:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent on White Noise  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the NES 10-2 speaker on satellite work with my IC821H for about 18 months.
The DSP function totally outperforms my Timewave 599X, but the NES 10-2 does not have bandwidth filtering. The Timewave now supplements my HF gear.
On the plus side, I can pull out satellite traffic from all the LEO's (and AO40 when it was working) when I can only just hear that there is something there under the background noise.
I estimate that it provides me with about 10dB effective gain.
The miniature headphone socket on the side of the unit has also proved reliable
When on FM, with no signal and the squelch at minimum, the background noise hiss is very evident. Turn the DSP on and in 2-3 seconds it dies away to a whisper.
The only criticism I have is that the 12 volt power connector can make poor contact and I needed to 'glue' it in place for mobile use in my Diesel Landrover Dicovery.
I would recommend this unit to anyone wanting near total white noise removal from their radios.

M0MRR Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2005 12:48 Send this review to a friend
Extremely Impressed!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live in a over populated area and have a garden that is approx 30ft square. I think every near-by house has an LCD tv and an electric blanket. Since getting my ham licence I have not spent huge amounts of time on the higher bands - 160, 80 & 40M due to the high levels of noise and european qrm. When I found a couple of local nets in the area that use 80M, I thought I had to do something about the noise.

The BHI noise eliminating speaker is well advertised in the local Radcom magazine and BHI usually have their products on display at various rallies. The claimed performance of the product seems almost unbelievable. But due to local noise I became increasingly interested in the BHI product. My FT-897 supposedly has DSP but it is not brilliant - I am not that impressed.

I eventually telephoned BHI direct and spoke to Graham who was able to answer my questions and then suggested I could buy one direct and if I didn't like it, to send it back for a refund...........I couldn't argue with that and ordered a speaker.

It arrived two days later and was very well packed. At first glance it looked much smaller than what I expected - the face of it measuring approx 4" X 2". I plugged the power cord in and connected the speaker to my FT-897 and then switched it on. WOW!!! A decent signal on ssb became almost FM in quality. A hard to hear signal became audible. White noise in FM mode completely disappears. The speaker performed exactly as advertised in the sales brochures. It really is amazing. The speaker will not pull out an already poor signal, but it will make listening to received signals a lot better. Have a listen to the sample audio files on their web site - they are a very accurate indication of what to expect.

The labels on speaker were not stuck properly - however when I emailed Graham with this information he immediatley posted out replacement labels - arriving the day after. To me this is a reflection of good service that is trustworthy.

I do not represent or have any affiliation with BHI, but am impressed enough with their product to give a whole hearted reccomendation. My partner who often complains about the radio noise is much happier - this is probably the best endorsement of the product Hi Hi