Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | SGC SG-235 Help

Reviews Summary for SGC SG-235
SGC  SG-235 Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $1595.00
Description: Model SG-235 Smartuner automatic microprocessor antenna coupler
More info: http://www.sgcworld.com

You can write your own review of the SGC SG-235.

K0LTD Rating: 4/5 Jul 31, 2014 18:23 Send this review to a friend
Great unit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Should have bought this unit in the 1st place..This unit has a range of 2ohms to 5,000 ohms..Yes, that is the statement from SGC..

VK3GK Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2013 16:29 Send this review to a friend
Perfect !!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this beastie 2nd hand with a broken case as it had been dropped on the feedthrough insulator. Luckily all the bits were still inside the case, a bit of superglue and I fired it up, still works.... Bonus.
I took this tuner on the VK9NT Dx-pedition to use with a 500w KPA500 amp and a 12m spiderpole vertical. I made a home brew controller, basically ground the reset pin, apply 10w RF and clackity clack....tuned in seconds
What a combo, fast tuning with 10w drive across all bands except 160m (wire was too short but i knew this)
ATU easily handled the 500w CW and 600w or so of SSB.
(We also used the SG230 200w atu on the other vertical with 200w CW again flawless operation)

Z21BB Rating: 4/5 Jan 16, 2012 05:06 Send this review to a friend
Good tuner, but  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great piece of equipment, well built and works flawlessly. This is what I use for anything but 10, 15 or 20m. It tunes my tilted long wire, which is about 150m long (folded in a rectangular shape with a longer side of about 60m) hanging from the top of a tall tree.
I have had the same 2 diodes blown in the tuner 3 times already, in heavy thunderstorms. My tuner is well grounded by means of a 2m galvanized steel rod driven into good soil, and is also connected to a fan of 15 long radials spreading under the wire (good RF ground is essential for your LW to work properly, as clearly explained in the manual). The tuner rests very close to the ground, to achieve a very short connection between the radial fan, the rod and the ground bolt in the tuner. This is also an important detail, as otherwise the connecting cable may radiate and create problems to you. It is not such a big deal to replace the diodes, which are ordinary fast-switching ones, but somehow it annoys me that this keeps on happening in spite of my precautions. That is why I give it a 4 instead of a 5. I am not sure whether there is a technical impediment as to not fitting a fuse in the circuit. Otherwise I am really satisfied with this quality product, and look forward to a version that can handle 1 KW or more.

73 de Fernando (now Z21BB)

9V1VV Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2008 23:00 Send this review to a friend
Good Remote Coupler  Time owned: more than 12 months
Unlike the SG-500 amp which I think is overpriced, this coupler is excellent value.

I have used one on the roof of an offshore accomodation barge mounted in a plastic box for added protection, on and off for the past 3 years. It still works well even in such a harsh salty environment.

Pay attention to the minumum wire lengths: it will not work with less than 300 feet on 2.0 MHz and below.

It can drive a ballanced antenna such as a doublet fed with 600 Ohm ladder line, by placing an ugly balun of 30 feet RG213/RG8 and control cable wrapped round an 8 inch plastic drum just before the coupler.

Works well even with total 100 feet cable, including 70 feet to the radio room from the balun. 600 watts PEP no trouble.

Be careful not to tune on full power; the relays don't like it. Only a few watts is required.

You definitely need the smart-lock pro if you are using it totally remote such as in this installation.

KG5JJ Rating: 4/5 Feb 13, 2004 22:41 Send this review to a friend
Nice coupler.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The case on the 235 is much better than the one on my 231. Very nicely built unit. Has worked flawlessly for me.

I gave this coupler a 4 out of 5 for two reasons; don't stress or twist the case feed-through that houses the Smart-Lock and coaxial cables. The sealant will release. Also, be aware of the minimum length of wire allowed on 160 meters. Pay attention to the above, and follow the directions, and you'll be rewarded with a QRO (500 watt) coupler that makes bandswitching almost instantaneous. Two thumbs-up on this unit.

73 KG5JJ (Mike)

K8SWD Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2003 17:55 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using for over 5 years an SGC-235 coupler in a mobile installation using the QMS and SG-303 whip along with the SGC 500 watt amp and an Icom 706MKII. I originally started out with a QMS/303 whip and SGC230 coupler using an Icom 735 in the mobile. Then I wanted to move up to 500 watts, so I swapped out the 230 for the 235. I still have the 230 by the way--that is also an awesome coupler! I did have to add a ceramic insulator to the QMS box.

I am on my second 235 coupler. Something went wrong with the "brain box" after a couple of years or so and it was replaced with a complete new unit. Warranty was 5 years when I bought mine, but is only 1 year now :( I think inadequate grounding is the root of most problems with couplers such as these, and grounding becomes more critical with higher power levels.

My replacement unit has been in daily service for over 3 years now without a problem. I use solid copper strap to ground it to the vehicle. I believe this is a must--I had some tuning problems using braid strap--I even had up to 4 1" braids at one time. After going to the solid copper strap--it works like a charm. The minimum antenna specifications have been increased several times over the years I have owned this unit. When I bought my 235 coupler, a 50' or longer wire was needed for 160 meters. Now, it's 315' long! Hmmmmm? I have done well with at least a 1/4 wave on the lowest frequency I needed--but try for 150' when I can. Must have a real good ground and/or counterpoise however!

My QMS box has the lettering all faded off. It has withstood over 7 Michigan winters and I am due for my 3rd set of suction cups. The coupler has performed its tasks well, automatically, in rain, heat, cold, snow, ice, on and off road.

Occasionally, the 235 will not find a match under 1.5:1 and will settle in around 2.1:1 or so. I simply go to another band, tune there, then come back and all is good.

This coupler is not cheap. It does take some time to install into an effective station. This coupler is not a "cure all" for lack of antenna knowledge either. It may not perform up to a good screwdriver, but often I only have a 4 mile drive. In the time it takes me to tune a screwdriver, I can work 3 DX stations on different bands with my SGC235.

SGC's service and warranty coverage is second to none. Many can learn by their example! Even though this unit costs a lot, and I had one fail, I don't regret buying it and would do so again. I still give it a 5.

9K2KS Rating: 3/5 Oct 6, 2001 22:38 Send this review to a friend
Doesn't like high temperature  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm using the SG-235 for the last 5 months in different combinations and locations.I also compare it with HARRIS 601A coupler.
Combinations and locations :
TS-950SDX,SG-500AMP,25m wire at home.
IC-706MKIIG,SG-500AMP,SG-303 ANT. at car.
IC-706MKIIG,SG-500AMP,RACAL BASE&WHIP '3m' at car.
TS-B2000,SG-303 ANT. at an island.
TS-B2000,RACAL MAST-ANT.12m at an island.
DX-70TH,SG-500AMP,RACAL MAST-ANT.12m at a camp.
DX-70TH,SG-500AMP,15m wire at a camp.
FURUNO marinr,SG-500AMP,10m wire at boat.
The unit will tune any piece of wire on any HF frequency 'minimum 4m' and it's 100% Waterproof, but it does not like high temperatures '55C+' even in the shade while it should work in '70C' as mentioned in the specification.That's the difference between it and the HARRIS 601A coupler which I've been using for years.On the other hand The SG-235 is better in weight,size and in the tuning speed after the modification.
The optional SG Remote On/Off unit should include more indications,TEMP...etc.
I don't think that we will ever find a coupler that will suit all.

Regards,
9K2KS

TEASHEA Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2001 19:33 Send this review to a friend
Exellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the absolute finest antenna tuner (coupler) made. Putting the tuner at the antenna instead of at the transceiver is the only logical thing to do. Moreover, this particular piece of equipment is beautifully desinged and built. The performance is superlative. I am using it to couple two crossed pattern, shortened multi band dipoles (two Alpha Delta DX EE's), located in my attic. Estonia and Sweden the first night with 50 watts.

WW3KP Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2001 09:16 Send this review to a friend
Great tuner, great Company.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the SG-235 tuner, the SG-303 antenna, and the SG-500 amp for about 15 months. It is a super mobile setup. It is used with the Icom IC706MkII. Many stations can't believe that they are talking to a mobile station.

I had a problem (probably self induced) with the tuner after a month, and it was repaired ASAP. At 13 months (just out of warrenty), the microprocesser in the tuner developed a problem, and when I talked to SGC, they said send it back
and that they would take a look at it. It was repaired ASAP, at no charge.

There have been no problems with the amp or the antenna. SGC has been a pleasure to deal with. Their Customer Service is great. I have always recieved a reply to my email questions the next day.

If you enjoy mobile operation, and want to move up to 500w, this is the way to go.

Ken,
W3KMP (ex WW3KP)

K6GL Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2000 15:45 Send this review to a friend
A great tuner, it differs from the SG-230  Time owned: unknown months
I recently purchased an SG-235 to replace an SG-230 that I used for over a year. The SG-
235 is a unit with beefier components than the SG-230. It has a 500 watt rating. I used the SG-230 with an Icom IC-775, which can transmit 200 watts, the present rating for the SG-230. I had problems, which I described in a separate review of the SG-230 here on eHAM. The SG-235 has lower valued, but higher rated, components, so it needs a longer antenna (or the same length of antenna with an external loading coil), than does the SG-230. This has been no problem for me, even for 160 meter operation. The SGC engineers are concerned about the tuner tuning under a 500 watt load, which could cause arcing of relays. They recommend tuning under the lowest power possible. I use 3 to 5 watts. The SG-235 tunes instantly when first tuned, but, to minimize inadvertent tuning, subsequent tuning occurs after four seconds of carrier. This can be accomlished by reducing power and using RTTY and TRANSMIT and waiting until the SWR drops. This is an excellent tuner, and it is supplied with a control box (It's optional for the SG-230). It's ideal for solving my problems with antenna restrictions, does not require a control cable, and it has plenty of margin when used with my 200 watt radio.