Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | SGC SG-235 Help

Reviews Summary for SGC SG-235
SGC  SG-235 Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $1595.00
Description: Model SG-235 Smartuner automatic microprocessor antenna coupler
More info: http://www.sgcworld.com

You can write your own review of the SGC SG-235.

K6GL Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2000 15:45 Send this review to a friend
A great tuner, it differs from the SG-230  Time owned: unknown months
I recently purchased an SG-235 to replace an SG-230 that I used for over a year. The SG-
235 is a unit with beefier components than the SG-230. It has a 500 watt rating. I used the SG-230 with an Icom IC-775, which can transmit 200 watts, the present rating for the SG-230. I had problems, which I described in a separate review of the SG-230 here on eHAM. The SG-235 has lower valued, but higher rated, components, so it needs a longer antenna (or the same length of antenna with an external loading coil), than does the SG-230. This has been no problem for me, even for 160 meter operation. The SGC engineers are concerned about the tuner tuning under a 500 watt load, which could cause arcing of relays. They recommend tuning under the lowest power possible. I use 3 to 5 watts. The SG-235 tunes instantly when first tuned, but, to minimize inadvertent tuning, subsequent tuning occurs after four seconds of carrier. This can be accomlished by reducing power and using RTTY and TRANSMIT and waiting until the SWR drops. This is an excellent tuner, and it is supplied with a control box (It's optional for the SG-230). It's ideal for solving my problems with antenna restrictions, does not require a control cable, and it has plenty of margin when used with my 200 watt radio.