Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | ICOM IC-228A & H Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-228A & H
Reviews: 5 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$620 Cdn$
Description: Older great compact 2 Meter Mobile

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-228A & H.

W0FEN Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2013 09:39 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought an IC228A about 30 years ago. It is still going. I bought an IC-228H about 28 years ago. I get them mixed up. One did have a problem in the PLL but I fixed that about 15 years ago by plugging one into the other radio and further troubleshooting. Both do come unlocked in extremely cold temperatures. Like about -30 degrees F.
These radios don't have the front end intermod problems that the newer wider band radios do. The squelch circuit works like it should. Newer radios that adjust the RF gain as well as squelch with one knob are horrible. The panel lamps burned out long ago.
The Mic cords may be about to give some problems but after 25+ years thats OK.
What more can I say. They both are still working with one repair.

K6SDW Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2010 17:41 Send this review to a friend
Solid  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Nice and small 2-meter rig. Just the right amount of features and works and works.

WX1F Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2009 09:23 Send this review to a friend
Best for the money!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned/operated a 1/2 dozen of these great little rigs over the span of 12 years..and every time I sell/trade one, I instantly regret it. With 45watts, 20 memories, ease of programming...you can't find a better rig for the price. I have never had a bad one. They still pop up on internet auction sites, classifieds and ham fests at $25-$75, depending on their condition and what is included. Mics, manuals and brackets seem to disappear into that mysterious black hole that is in every ham shack. They make a good first rig for newbies and a last rig for us old timers who have tired of rigs with MENUS!! My advice? If you see one...buy it and tuck it away "Just because"!

WI4NDS Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2005 22:45 Send this review to a friend
Bulletproof  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a 228H brand new back in 1989 or 90. I used the rig for a few years, sold it to a friend, and he was using it up till last year when it was stolen. That rig came out of the box doing 50 watts. I adjusted it back to the 45 top speed. That is when the adjustments were in the owners manuals. That radio would get so hot it would peel your skin if you grabbed the heatsink on long HP QSOs. However, viewed on the wattmeter, it never lost a watt, EVER. I used it mobile and base and loved it. Built to last with excellent receive and transmit. It was sweet!

VE7BGP Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2005 10:17 Send this review to a friend
A great 2 Meter Mobile  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am really suprised that no one has reveiwed this great older vintage (1988 to 1992) Icom Mobile 2 Meter rig. I just recently bought this rig from a friend that got a new 2100H. Mine is the 25 watt IC-228A version. It replaces the old TR-7400A in my '90 Ranger PU missing CTCSS & DMTF tones. Wow do I ever like that Multi-colored LCD Display. It is a simple to use rig and has the needed tone encoder and DMTF Mike needed to use and link repeaters. This rig so far seems to have a Great Intermod free front end that still covers the 138 to 174 Mhz VHF general coverage Receive range. I will be the first to review this nice Icom like the IC-28H from that great era of the 735, 751A and 765 hf rigs that Icom made.
73 Gerry