Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Heil MEDIA PRO SET Help

Reviews Summary for Heil MEDIA PRO SET
Heil  MEDIA  PRO SET Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $$ 110.00
Description: State of the art Heil PRO SET fitted with a high performance condenser microphone for use with Computers.
More info: http://www.heilsound.com

You can write your own review of the Heil MEDIA PRO SET.

N7WNX Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2008 13:01 Send this review to a friend
Great Product!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This headset works wonderfully for me both
running my remote station over the internet
from a laptop and directly connected
to the 8-pin jack on my Ten-Tec Omni VII
(I built a little adapter to send the 5V
from the rig up to the electret element
in this headset). I get better reports from
this mic in this headset than any of my
desk mics. Also, I find the headphones to be
of VERY high quality and comfort (and I run
a recording studio). The phase reverse
switch comes in handy sometimes when using
it with a computer. Buy it. You won't
be sorry.

K6SX Rating: 0/5 Mar 7, 2008 20:14 Send this review to a friend
Heil Hype!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My local Ham Radio store had this set on sale for half price. Hummmm. Looked to be a great deal until I slipped those buggers over my ears. What I experienced was some of the most ill fitting, uncomfortable, generally aggravating and cheaply made headphones ever to grace my head. Ten or so years prior, I purchased their BM 10 Lightweight Boom Set. Worked great until you turned your head and then the inertia of the heavy mike at the end of the boom caused the over-the-head band to flex so much that it set the boom into a bouncing back and forth oscillation that was more than just a little irritating. This is good engineering? I think not. Zero for two.

From my experience, the Heil products are grossly over priced, poorly engineered and way over-hyped for way too many years. Recording studio maybe. Ham Radio I think not.

Rick Fults
K6SX

N1FFF Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2008 18:09 Send this review to a friend
Great product for both Echolink on my PC and my VX7 HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using the Heil Media PRO for a couple of years with both my PC for Echolink and with my Yaesu VX7 w/ the ridiculously expensive Yaesu adaptor.

The sound quality is superb, the headset is very comfortable, and the construction quality is solid.

W9AC Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2007 07:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Performance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've been using this headset with my remote Internet station. Great TX & RX audio from my Dell laptop to a Kenwood TS-480 at the host location.

I've tried several headsets for remote Internet use and singled them down to the Heil Media Pro Set and the GN Netcom 2100 when I want to use a USB audio connection. Both sets are a solid 5.

N5ZC Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2005 07:49 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for Soundcard  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been running a remote hf station which utilizes my pc's sound card to get the audio back and forth. I've been using a basic pc desk mic until recently.

Bob Heil let me know about his new Media Pro Headset. The mic element is specifically designed to work with a pc's soundcard.

I use Skype for my audio and the Media Set drives the soundcard perfectly. I also use Skype to speak with my Dad in South Texas. He noted that he had to turn the volume down on his pc speakers when I started using the new headset.

The headset is also perfect for use with contesting software such as Writelog. By plugging the mic into the sound card and using a proper interface, like a rig blaster, between the transmitter and the sound card, I can get audio from the mic to the rig and record wave file messages on the fly. This has always been a problem in the past as most ham mics would not drive a sound card well enough. I would use a pc mic to drive the sound card and Pro Set for the rig. Now I have just one mic connected to my system which makes things much easier.

I'm looing forward to using the new setup during the up coming contest season.

Rich - N5ZC

N1FFF Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2005 16:05 Send this review to a friend
Great Headset/Mic combo for EchoLink (and VX-7)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Santa delivered Bob's new Pro Set Media headphone-boom mic to me for Christmas and it is great! I'm pretty active w/ Echolink and was not happy with using PCs' speakers and cheap dynamic mic's sound quality (overmodulation, etc). Bob Heil saw a message from me on a VX7 yahoo group and responded w/ pre-release info on his new Pro Set model, w/ two 1/8" connectors for use w/ PC sound card. I had questions, Bob replied to my emails personally, often within a few minutes. (It's like he never sleeps!) In any case, I get great signal reports, the QSO's are easy to follow, the sound is like the speakers are in the middle of my head, and they are the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn. I like the flexible mic boom, too.
BTW-I am in no way associated w/ Heil Sound, just a happy customer.
Fred N1FFF