Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Elecraft Repair & Alignment Service Help

Reviews Summary for Elecraft Repair & Alignment Service
Elecraft Repair & Alignment Service Reviews: 8 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Repair / Alignment Service (We want to make sure everyone succeeds!)
If necessary, you may return your K2 to us for repair or alignment. (Note: We offer unlimited email and phone support to get your kit running, so please try that route first as we can usually help you find the problem quickly.)
More info: http://www.elecraft.com/repair.htm

You can write your own review of the Elecraft Repair & Alignment Service.

W1XV Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2009 16:01 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING  Time owned: more than 12 months
The K3 #178 that I purchased used was out
of warranty by a month or so. I was experiencing problems with the ATU when running more than 50 watts. Elecraft offered to send me a new board which may or may not have solved the problem. I chose to have them repair the problem. Turn-around time was less than two weeks between NH and CA AND
there was no charge!! Two diodes apparently had "gone south." ALL parameters were reset. This truly exemplifies how a company should be run. THANK YOU Elecraft.

W3QJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2009 16:24 Send this review to a friend
Thanks Wayne.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Sent them a 6 mo. old K3/100 s/n 1055 that I bought used at Christmas 2008. After being stupid enough to pay $2,900.00 for a used K3 with several options (yes the money was burning a whole in my pocket, and I paid the seller what he paid for it)I wasn't about to be even more stupid and fiddle with it too much. It had some problems, and I sent it back to Wayne, and bought the 6khz filter and had them do a full alignment, and mod the DSP board for me. He wouldn't accept any money for the board, and charged a very fair price for the alignment, parts, and other work.

My only criticism, is that they were disorganized.
I couldn't count on what the sales person told me, which is the person who sets up the repair, and takes payment information. She told me, my radio was being worked on and the tech would get in touch with me after lunch on the day I contacted them. This was after the third time of trying to get a hold of them for a report on the status of my radio. Several days passed, and not a word.

I was told before billing they would contact me with a report and the amount billed. No calls or report, but charges on my card. I didn't have a problem with what they charged, which was very fair, but I did have a problem with them being disorganized, and not doing what they said they would do, when they said they would do it.

I did get the report and invoice after contacting Wayne direct, after the fact on the day they shipped.

But I will say Wayne is a very honorable man, and if you can't get a response in a timely manner, contact him direct. One email is all it takes. He will follow through. That's what I had to do, and he always responded immediately. I hated to keep pestering him, but that's the only way I could get through.

All in all, I think they are good people, maybe they a just overwhelmed with work.

I wish them well.

K6SDW Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2008 19:26 Send this review to a friend
Better than the best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've never sent anything to Gary for repair, but I've had to consult his advice many times while getting the kinks out of my K2. From personal experience, I can attest Gary knows what he's talking about and has the patience of a Saint!!

Gary and Scott (parts guy, I believe) are a big reason why I'm sticking with the K2!!

Cheers All!

N5YFC Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2008 18:12 Send this review to a friend
Top notch repair  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I built a K1 in Dec of 06. The kit was of high quality material, it was my building that was the problem. I had a few problems on transmit that I just could not figure out. The people at Elecraft were a great help. I ended up sending it to Gary to look for the problem. He repaired it and sent it back within a week and with a list of repairs. Now the little rig works great. Many companies could learn from Elecraft quality and service.
N5YFC

W0FM Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2007 12:19 Send this review to a friend
Above and Beyond!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The completion of my K2/100 was delayed about three years due to family issues. I had left the half-completed rig on the bench partially assembled. Determined to finish the kit, I recently got the rig, remaining parts and the accessory modules together and documented exactly where I had left off. Then I dove head-first into building again.

I was amazed to find out how much the K2/100's design had been improved during my building delay. Gary Surrency, AB7MY, of Elecraft's support staff responded quickly and patiently to each of my emails, and, in a few weeks the rig was complete.

I did the alignment myself and the rig seemed to function OK, but for a few annoying audio pops and a stability issue on 60M. So, I decided to send it off to the folks who know these radios like the back of their hands to have my work checked out.

Lisa Jones was right there with my RSA number and Gary provided more valuable insight into what I should expect from the service/alignment process. He even let me know that, depending on the work load and parts on hand, the turn-around might be quicker than normally quoted. And, in my case, it certainly was. Records indicate that Gary received the rig late on July 3rd and it was repaired, updated and aligned and shipped back to me on July 10th. I don't know for sure, but looking at my calendar, he almost had to have worked on this repair on a Saturday, a Sunday, or BOTH!

Adding to the impressive experience was the detailed report that Gary included regarding exactly what was done to the radio and why. He referenced the assembly manual page numbers so I could go back and see each procedure he worked on. There were 18 specific items addressed in a two page Word document, including some recent engineering modifications and even the model number of the microphone he used to test the transmit audio. Also included were the actual filter settings as Gary had set them.

I had read about the "very thorough" reports included after an Elecraft service was performed, but this report went above and beyond my wildest expectations.

By comparison, I had two popular Yaesu rigs (one of which I still own and like) that had to go back to the factory for repair a collective four times. Upon the equipment's return (after six weeks for one, ten weeks for another), the factory paperwork documenting the repair said only "repaired wobbly knob", "adjusted for proper operation" or "no trouble found". No longer sufficient for me.

The good folks at Elecraft continue to get it right. They get a 5 (only because 10 is not an available option here)

Terry, WFM

AA2LD Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2005 01:48 Send this review to a friend
Thanks Elecraft  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Gary and the staff at Elecraft are more like guys on my team than manufacturers of radio equipment. With their help, my KX1 runs well and I have a great deal of pride in it. They also repaired and aligned a K1 that I bought from another Ham, updating it and bringing it up to spec.

This was all done for nominal charges. I consider the Elecraft organization to be first rate. Do not change, please, and thank you.

KD0ZV Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2005 20:18 Send this review to a friend
Its rare you need to send it in  Time owned: more than 12 months
A K2 is something that you normally can find all the support you need online. Users and Elecraft staff will bend over backwards to help you fix something if it becomes a problem. I had an issue with the DSP which was beyond me and turned out to be a bad DSP processor. I sent the radio to Gary, the fix was fast, no charge and he looked everything over.

It does not get better than this.

Rich

AB9EI Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2005 10:59 Send this review to a friend
Great service!  Time owned: months
Nobody likes to have to contact a repair service, but when you have around $2000 invested in a fully loaded K2/100 and, after a couple of months, still can't isolate a problem to fix it, then it's time to call in the pros. My rig was not only quickly repaired, but several updates were applied, and it was recalibrated -- all for the minimum charge. Better than a fair deal. Thanks, Gary!