Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Radio Shack DX398 Shortwave Radio Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack DX398 Shortwave Radio
Radio Shack DX398 Shortwave Radio Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $150.00
Description: .05KHZ-30MHZ includes local AM and FM band.

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack DX398 Shortwave Radio.

K8JHR Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2012 06:35 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio - Solid Performance / Features  Time owned: more than 12 months
My wife bought me this radio for Xmas one year, and it will be in my shack Estate Sale after I am gone. Good looking, good sounding, high performance portable that holds up and looks good over time. I like the RF gain control, and it has excellent reception - holds up to, and works well with, an large external antenna without overloading the front end. Not many portables can do that. I used it with my 43 foot vertical monopole and with a 200 foot random wire, and it worked great with both antennas. As good as many older table-top receivers, this is a good performer and even receives SSB ham transmissions, although that can take a little twiddling, but still it does it and works well once you get on to it.

Bottom line = good radio for the money. I will keep this one for sure.

Just MY take. / K8JHR /

K7DXT Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2012 16:43 Send this review to a friend
Great little SWL Radio in its Day  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these new from RS when they went on sale...probably 10 years ago or more. What drew me to it was the LSB/USB capability. It was about the lowest price receiver I could find that was able to receive side band.

The radio still works as new, but admittedly, I've not used it a lot over the years. The only complaint is that it eats batteries pretty fast. I failed to buy the wall-wart power supply, so I've gone through a number of Double-A's over the years.

It's the same basic radio as the Sangean 909...but was a little cheaper. I bought my Dad the Sangean down from this model and it broke after a couple of years. He replaced it with a Grundig and the display went bad on that one. None of these cheaper radios are the quality of say an Icom receiver. But take care of them and they'll generally last many years.

VE7BGP Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2012 09:56 Send this review to a friend
Quick Speaker Fix  Time owned: more than 12 months
I also had a Radio Shack DX-398 which sat on my dresser as my Clock Wake up Call radio for many years. I recently got a Grundig G3 to replace the DX-398 and found immediately the Grundig's audio Quality blew the 398 out of the water for such a small Radio. My speaker also vibrated and sounded Raspy especially on low volume. Anyway I took the front off the DX-398 and unsoldered the speaker leads and carefully cut the Glue and removed the speaker it was full of dust I carefully cleaned the speaker Cone and port. The speaker Cone felt good and was not rubbing so I reinstalled it and reassembled the radio. Turned it on and now it sounds as good as when I first bought it in '99. My back stand broke I homebrewed one from Coat Hanger Wire it works great. The new Grundig still has better Audio Quality than the 398 main thing I can live with and use my DX-398's audio and enjoy listening to it again. Speaking on whip sensitivity my DX-398 is better then most it even pulls a lot of ham signals inside my Faraday Shield mobile home. The new Grundig has noticeably better sensitivity about 5 dB. These small portables are great for DFing QRMM on our local 75 Meter nets. QRMM is Deliberate Jamming of Nets. If you leave the Whip Horizontal pull out 6 to 8 inches of whip. Hold the portable close to your body turn your whole body. You will find a peak the direction of the QRMM. I hope that helps.
Gerry VE7BGP

KB8GRO Rating: 3/5 Feb 13, 2012 21:45 Send this review to a friend
OK Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this radio since 1998. I have a love hate towards this radio. the good: large display, signal strength meter, usb lsb settings, rf gain, rds for fm, wide narrow filter settings for am, over 300 mem slots to save frequencies, good looks. The bad: speaker vibrates at low volume, dust behind display window, fit and finish is bad,you can see the warp and rough areas in the case, flip stand on the back broke, battery eater, clock does weird things like going into a time zone other then my local time by itself, the case creaks sometimes when you pick it up. I am very careful about my equipment, I take extra care with this radio, I don't want to break it, I will keep this radio because I want to keep my friends, and I feel I can solve this radio and why it acts and does what it does so weirdly. I hope the Sangean ATS909 is a better radio. My radio still looks good but looks are only skin deep...

K4YRK Rating: 4/5 Sep 26, 2007 06:52 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
have owned this portable receiver for several years. I purchased it as a close out at the local Radio Shack store after hearing another ham bragging about the receiver and the excellent closeout price, under $100. It makes a very nice general coverage receiver with SSB coverage and many advanced features not found on cheap portable receivers. I use it for general monitoring of ham bands and as a take along vacation radio. It really shines when you connect an external antenna to it. I use a G5RV and it comes close to a ham band only receiver in general performance. have owned this portable receiver for several years. I purchased it as a close out at the local Radio Shack store after hearing another ham bragging about the receiver and the excellent closeout price, under $100. It makes a very nice general coverage receiver with SSB coverage and many advanced features not found on cheap portable receivers. I use it for general monitoring of ham bands and as a take along vacation radio. It really shines when you connect an external antenna to it. I use a G5RV and it comes close to a ham band only receiver in general performance.