Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Palstar AT5K Help

Reviews Summary for Palstar AT5K
Palstar AT5K Reviews: 35 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $1195
Description: The AT5K takes power handling to the next level coming in with a rating of 3500 watts single tone continuous performance with low losses & wide Z range. Bands 160m to 15m with limited Z range on 10m. The AT5K provides balanced OUTPUT with high power 5kW TEFLON cable balun at the INPUT of the tuner circuit for excellent balanced feed antenna operation.
More info: http://www.palstar.com/at5k.php

You can write your own review of the Palstar AT5K.

OZ1LCG Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2009 23:26 Send this review to a friend
Bigger than expected  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My first review on eham. I have been licens since 1985 and had alot of different equipment over the time, but I never got into QRO before May 2009. There I got my fist Amplifiere a ETO 91b.I needed a better tuner, because my antenner is only a vertical and is not always the same in SWR on each band. I had already a tuner from MFJ 969 for only 300W and I rebuild it with bigger Capacitors but It newer handle the power and my bad SWR very good. At the end I had to spent some money, so I was looking for the best. I decieded to ordre the Palstar AT5K Tuner because of my bad antenna and the high power to handle. When I got it, I was very impressed of the size of the Capacitors and the big roller, tale a look at the Photo here http://hamradio.oz1lcg.dk/#91.15
After 2 hours of QSO there was not a problem working fine on all bands. Very easy to tune and find the best swr again. But after 4 hr. I had a minor problem, there was a small 18pf Cap, in the Direction Coupler board that made a SC into the printboard, a fault mounting I would say. I replaced it in 5min with a new one I had in stock, I was Up running again. The next day I sent Paul a email explain what had happend, he sent me a parcel the next day with 2 new 18pf Capacitors and thank me for fixing the problem my self, I will say service is also a 5. Itīs works now really well. The other evening I took it into the local Hamradio Club, People there was also very impressed of the size and the fine and easy tuning. Look at my log i have many QSO every day on many bands No Problem. I think itīs the best hamradio equipment i ever bought compared to money I spent.
73 I hope to meet you on the band.
Ole OZ1LCG

WS4B Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2009 17:12 Send this review to a friend
One word...."Rocks!!"  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This tuner is awesome, and I rate it at a 4.9/5. The 0.1 deduction is because it will not tune on the very upper edge of 10 meters. So if you need SWR adjustment on the FM part of the band, your out of luck. I run simplex FM on 29.600 when 10 meters is open and the tuner will not work at the upper edge of the band.

Otherwise, this tuner rocks and is built like a tank! If you buy one, you certainly will not regret it.

Brad
W4BJM

WA1GZY Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2009 15:09 Send this review to a friend
Impressive Performance!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well built, Quality Feel and Works Brilliantly covering 160, 80, 60 and 40 meters! All HF Bands tune to unity match with a few twists of the dials. No real "learning curve" to become a master band hopper.

My old Nye Viking MBVA would not tune 160 using the same Alpha Delta "shorty" balanced feed antenna. After 40 years, the Viking has earned its' retirement to my closet shelf!

It's expensive but in this instance, you get what you pay for!

K5YY Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2009 18:53 Send this review to a friend
AT4K early units equal  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just wanted to comment that the early LED bar graft AT4Ks were as robust as the AT5K.. Then it seemed that to lower the price to appeal to many more hams, the AT4K suffered a bit of quality in the components, not much though. Then the AT5K came out with HD components to satisfy the QRO boys. So, an early AT4K should give you the same satisfaction as the later AT5K, BUT they are few and far between. Palstar makes the best tuner on the market in my opinion and the service is great and emails answered promptly.

KA1CDE Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2009 15:22 Send this review to a friend
excellent tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this tuner for a couple of years. The roller inductor takes a little time to get use to. I have been able to tune the swr down to 1:1 on all frequecies.
The manual explains how to get the most out of the tuner and how to properly tune your antenna.
After 2 or more years the meter light bulb burnt out, I requested a new one from Palstar and received it with any charges at all.

I have found Paul to be polite and informative.

I would recommend a Palstar anytime.

W6THW Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2009 07:42 Send this review to a friend
Great product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my AT5K antenna tuner for 2 years
and a Command Technologies HF-2500 amplifier for about 4 years and have had no problems with them. The tuner will handle anything i can put to it. I have never had a problem with Paul.

KX2V Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2009 16:30 Send this review to a friend
100% Reliable!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this tuner for several years.
I can tune anything with the AT5K.

100% reliable On ALL bands!!!

KF8KL Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2008 11:32 Send this review to a friend
Great tuner!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I must echo NV7E's sentiments--this is a great tuner and I also used to own an MBV-A which I sorely missed when I sold it a few years ago. I no longer miss it as the AT5K will do everything and more. I also have a limited antenna situation because of a small lot. That being said the AT5K has handled any match I've thrown at it with ease. I will also add that Paul is a real gentleman to deal with and I have the sense that he will never produce anything that isn't outstanding in its class. Bravo Paul and keep up the good work. K8LD

KE4BB Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2008 06:10 Send this review to a friend
Best Money I ever spent on Ham Radio Equipment  Time owned: more than 12 months
You know that feeling when you get something and wish you would have spent a little more to get some thing else.

You won't experience that with this tuner.

It cost more but it's worth it. I have had three other tuners and they don't compare.

Before you buy a MFJ, turn the roller inductor. It feels cheap.

I've had my AT5K for almost four years. Can't think of a one better.......mmmm the 10K with digital readout.....(it wasn't available when I purchased mine).

One last thing. They must be practically indestructible because I have destroyed some stuff over the years. I wish I were kidding.

W3ZDF Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2007 18:31 Send this review to a friend
Great Engineering  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received the AT5K today, outside of the Rotary Inductor readout spline loose, and I fixed that. it performs as I expected. Thanks to Paul.... it is a great tuner used with my HT-18 Hy-Tower....
The quality is well worth the cost... as I have had several MFJ tuners.. and we all know what the initals stand for.... and this is a great product..... the AT5K....