Reviews Categories | Microphones | Yaesu MH 59A8J remote mic Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu MH 59A8J remote mic
Yaesu MH 59A8J remote mic Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $82.95
Description: REMOTE CONTROL DTMF MIC FT-857/FT-897
More info: http://www.hamradio.com/cgi-bin/uncgi/ase?ITEM=mh+59

You can write your own review of the Yaesu MH 59A8J remote mic.

KA3RCS Rating: 4/5 Jan 3, 2014 00:54 Send this review to a friend
Excellent except for RFI susceptibility  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got this mic about 7 years ago for use with my FT-857 mobile setup. Unlike the stock MH-31A8J with its abysmally muddy dynamic element, this mic has a proper condenser element which generates very good audio. I can't imagine why some users report bad audio with this mic, unless they have inappropriate DSP mic EQ or carrier insertion point adjustments or something.

The remote control capabilities of this mic really shine, allowing almost any function of the FT-857 to be used without touching the control head. That is especially handy now that I have moved the FT-857 to a different vehicle, in which the control head is currently much more difficult to reach comfortably.

Unfortunately, this mic (like its DTMF brother, the MH-36E8J) has a serious RFI susceptibility problem. It took years until I finally realized that this mic was the reason why I had to add copious ferrite cores to every cable in my FT-857 mobile setup to be able to transmit without getting reports of RF in the audio. I've tried adding bypass caps and small ferrite cores inside the mic, and have thus far not managed to cure the RFI. I plan to investigate the issue further and see if I can come up with a fix, as I have a significant investment in three similar mics.

In summary, if this mic is used far away from the antenna, it usually works and sounds great. However, mobile operation (or use with an amplifier, etc.) without RF getting into the transmit audio may require additional RFI mitigation. The MH-67A8J (the stock mic for various Vertex commercial radios as well as the original FT-450) offers similarly great condenser element audio with no RFI problems, though it does not offer DTMF capability. There are similar commercial mics which offer 12-key and 16-key DTMF pads which might be a good match for the FT-857; I need to research them.

VA3GNX Rating: 4/5 Sep 22, 2012 15:43 Send this review to a friend
Much better than the stock mic  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I wanted to be able to control the radio remotely so this was my only choice. At first it was a bit overwhelming but it didn't take long to figure out how to use it. I gave it a 4 because it is a good mic but I had to change it, no other reason. The audio reports were tinny and thin sounding so I modified it by removing the small plastic baffle that sits in front of the element[not the wind baffle it stays in], made a slot out of the 2 extremely tiny voice ports and enlarged the hole in the rubber mount for the element. I found this online by doing search for mh59micmods. It's no desk mic but the reports are better than it was and much better than the 38. I agree yaesu should include this mic with the radio even if they added $50 to the price point it would be well worth it.

CR7000 Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2012 11:05 Send this review to a friend
A must have mic  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Why yaesu dont include this with the radio is beyond me

Excellent audio and full functionality from a superb mic

A must have for any 857/897 owner

K4AMT Rating: 4/5 Nov 21, 2011 16:33 Send this review to a friend
Good but...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got this remote after the original went out at field day. I thought I'd go ahead and upgrade since I was going to be buying a new one anyway. As others have said it's really hot. My first few reports were "Man, you need to turn that mic down!" and "Check your ALC!" So I made the necessary adjustments and it was fine after that.

I'm giving this a Good rating for now. The reason I won't give a Great! at this time is because I've noticed that the top two buttons, the up and down buttons on the very top, are not working. I haven't found anything that might be a result of some type of setting that might have locked the buttons up. I checked with a friend who has one too and he can't think of anything either.

I won't be very happy if this remote is already broken because since field day, I've only used it about three times. My antenna got taken down by high winds/storm and I just got it back up this weekend. If the remote is bad, this would be the second Yaesu remote that I've gone through in just over five months. I'll be fair and if I find out the problem is me, I'll gladly adjust this rating to Great.

Rick K4AMT

N6PG Rating: 4/5 Mar 24, 2011 07:16 Send this review to a friend
great mic, be prepared to turn the mic gain down  Time owned: more than 12 months
I like having a DTMF pad for VHF/UHF, but the mic runs hot. Not sure about FM settings, but on HF I had to turn the SSB MIC GAIN down to about 9 or 10. It was sounding overdriven otherwise. The MH-31 had a mic gain setting up around 60 or 70 without a problem.

KD0KIX Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2010 11:53 Send this review to a friend
Great Audio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a great mic. It lets you do almost everything using just the mic. There is just one function, setting the squelch level (it can momentarily eliminate the squelch but not set it) but that is a VERY small criticism. It is a marvel.

The audio quality is superb, lots of punch and good range--others tell me it sounds great, plenty of power, full modulation, and several times I have been told not to change a thing. This had been a concern to me based on earlier postings but is absolutely not an issue, to the contrary I get rave reviews on my audio. PROC level is set to 50 and SSB MIC gain set to 55 on my FT-857D.

Why put wear and tear on you front buttons when you can put it on a $70 mic?

Great item.

KC4RZW Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2008 08:00 Send this review to a friend
Fabulous Mic  Time owned: more than 12 months
This mic makes the 857D stand up and shout! Direct frequency input, the keypad and functions of this mike are fabulous. Great audio, usually get the report that my audio is the best on the HF net. Recommend it highly. Not sure why others apparently have problems with this mic but when you understand how to use it, you would not want to go without it.

NK5G Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2008 17:26 Send this review to a friend
Must have for mobile  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This was a great purchace. Operating HF/VHF/UHF mobile it is nice to control every item on the radio without taking eyes off the road. Infact I forgot what the radio feels like. I never touch it.
I like the user defined buttons.
Make sure you turn down the mike gain when you get it set up. It does run hot.

NARUNAS Rating: 4/5 Apr 29, 2008 06:15 Send this review to a friend
Good functionality - overpowering audio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got this microphone attached to my Yaesu 857D and at first I could not even make any contacts - It could be my inexperience as a HAM, just minted license on 04/2008 - but... Finally got someone to respond and the audio report was "overpowering". I kept turning down the mic gain settings - 50, 30, 20 - at around 15 (out of a hundred) it apparently was ok! Wonder what the 100 setting is for then. Mic is working well, does control most transceiver features since I do not want to fiddle with the radio while mobile. Have not tried it on the HF bands, will do when get my General ticket

Narunas
KC2TGZ

KI4CRA Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2007 12:48 Send this review to a friend
This ones a KEEPER!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased this mic, when I purchased my FT-897D back in January the day before I had rotator cuff surgery. All I can say is WOW, this one is definetly a KEEPER. This mic is a great addition to the FT-897/857 rigs on the market right now. For me personally, I ahd NO trouble getting this mic set up for my habits and usage on air. As it has been said in other posts, any thing you can do on the front panel of youe rig you can do with this mic. I am very well pleased with this microphone. I also have the Heil ProSet, and to tell the truth, I find my self using the MH 59A8J more than I use my ProSet. I have been complimented many times on my audio with mic. I will say however that I did have to set my SSB/FM mic gains a little lower than usual, cause the MH 59 will darn sure reach out and let people know your out there. I too agree with another post, that this mic come standard with FT- 857/897 models rigs. It just don't get any better than this.

73 de Mark