Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Kenwood R1000 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood R1000
Kenwood R1000 Reviews: 39 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $Kenwood R1000
Description: manual & connectors
More info: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/commrxvr/r1000.html

You can write your own review of the Kenwood R1000.

MBOTT Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2017 11:15 Send this review to a friend
Impressive  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I found my R-1000 on Ebay. I've dealt with the seller before so I was pretty sure the description was accurate. Anyway, I am just impressed with this receiver and really appreciate just how simple it is to operate. Minimal buttons and knobs yet it is good in the bands during these less than perfect times for radio. Great sound, too. Couple years ago when I was looking for a R-1000 and could not find one, I picked up a R-5000. Happy I did not give up on finding the R-1000. This receiver rocks!

VK2JEM Rating: 4/5 Jul 25, 2017 17:56 Send this review to a friend
Great budget radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got this at a deceased estate auction for chump change, didnt expect much. Was pleasantly surprised.

Its a basic no frills am/ssb .5- 30Mhz receiver with wide/narrow bandwidth and digital frequency display, clock timer functions.

Its a step up from older FRG7 type analogue receivers. Like all barlow wadleys receivers it tunes in 30 1Mhz segments so when you reach x.999MHz you have to turn the mhz knob and go back the way you came.

Easier to use, more stable and more accurate, with two well chosen bandwidths and good shape factor, makes it much better to use than FRG7 or similar.

It has good audio, is sensitive and stable enough and has no fancy features, and no vices. Not the prettiest one to look at, but its for listening to, not admiring.

Well recommended for a beginner or backup, rig if you just wand fun easy general listening to broadcasts and some hams or utes. Mines been through the wars and in all those years or neglect, just the meter lamp has failed.

If you see one cheap grab it.

N2MDV Rating: 4/5 Jan 11, 2017 22:03 Send this review to a friend
Funnest shortwave rig I've ever had, and simple.  Time owned: more than 12 months
A very no thrills rig for seasoned DX'ers, but still a great rig for beginners, and just a fun rig to tune. Yeah, not the most sensitive, not the most selective, but very, very, easy to operate. Definitely add-on an EXT speaker to take advantage of its audio quality. This rig may drift almost 500Hz, but rock solid after a 30min warm-up. Only a big deal with SSB and CW. The power supply built-in does add to the heat of this rig, and if you can run it with EXT +12VDC, it would be best to do so. (This is probably one of the biggest 1980's Kenwood gripes is their power supplies.) Kicking myself for getting rid of this rig 20 years ago. Still, if you're looking for the perfect shortwave starter rig for yourself, a friend, and even your kids, this is the rig to get. Biggest gripe? No FM, but you can still do slope detection for that.

KE6TDT Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2016 23:07 Send this review to a friend
Built like a tank with limo audio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my Kenwood R-1000 receiver for about 18 years now and I bought it used. I replaced the display bulbs myself about 5 years ago. If I ever do it again, I will use LEDs. But for now, I leave the dimmer on and no issues so far.

About a 5 months ago it finally started with the 39.545 fixed display issue. It was in the power supply as most have reported and nearly fixed it myself, (I'm no technician). while going over solder joints I replaced the bad large PS capacitor with a new 12v 10000uf 105c capacitor as was bulging and slightly leaking. But it still had the intermittent display 39.545 syndrome and I did not want to push it.

So I took it to John Klewer N6AX in Placentia, CA. John had the work completed in just a couple days when I did not expect it for at least a week or two longer. And he did a wonderful job on this top shelf great sounding receiver. Btw John also does Kenwood, Yaesu, and Icom for those needing help.

Bottom line, if you're looking for a great receiver and find a R1000 in good condition, I would buy it. I highly recommended this great communications receiver.

NA5XX Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2015 22:52 Send this review to a friend
Great audio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was given this radio buy a friend. He found it in a thrift store for $10. The audio on this radio is absolutely great and receiver is very sensitive. This is an excellent addition to my radio gear. I am partial to Kenwood. I also have a TS-430 and a TS-870. If you see one for sale (good luck) grab it. You will not be disappointed.

N1TKM Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2013 10:06 Send this review to a friend
Going Strong At 32 Years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my R-1000 new early in 1982. With the exception of a power supply solder joint that had to be repaired and numerous bulbs that burned out, this has worked great for almost 32 years. I never imagined that any electronics would work as well after that length of time as this radio.

KC7NYI Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2013 18:01 Send this review to a friend
good old radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
got mine yesterday off e bay. in great shape. seens to operate ok. going to change antenna from hf vertical to a long wire. my antenna man had surgery today,waiting on him. i cant walk or climb towers, disabled and too old. has great speaker and receives well.

WA9LAE Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2013 13:56 Send this review to a friend
Unbeatable!  Time owned: more than 12 months
OK, I know I'm nuts but I now own 7 of these receivers! 3 need a little work but all are functional. This rig cannot be beaten for ease of use, sensitivity, audio fidelity, etc. at the price it can be purchased used. Also, it's extremely rugged; one of the toughest out there with it's metal case. I forgot to mention stability. After a minute or so the receiver remains within a few Hz one way or the other for hours. If you have the opportunity to purchase one, do so! I would say a decent one can be had for $150-$250 on eBay. You will not be sorry!

N8FNR Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2013 09:43 Send this review to a friend
My gateway drug to ham radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought one when they first came out in 1980 and had a ball with it for years. Only had a longwire indoors but still heard a ton of DX. Had West Radio install mechanical fiters, one for AM and one for SSB and that made a big diference on receive. Also added a weighted tuning knob that came from a TS-830 and that made tuning very sweet. Sadly I had had to sell to finance a used loaded TS-840SAT once I got my General ticket.
If I never bought the rig I would have never gotten interested in ham radio and would not have written this review.

RADIOFREAK Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2013 15:50 Send this review to a friend
Reliable performer!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 2 of these babies,and i WONT sell them never.
Receiver built to last,one of the best general coverage receiver Kenwood have ever made!
Excellent audio,stability and sensitivity.
I like audio especially with this WIDE filter.
These receivers are getting rare,
nobody wants to sell....and the reason is wery simple THIS RADIO ROCKS!
Reasonable price level,used around 150-300.
It is wery simple to use and you will learn it fast,no useless buttons,lights or switches....every button,every switch and every light this receiver has have some meaning.
Solid like a tank!
If you are looking for good general coverage receiver,
this probably gives you the best value for you money in this price range.