Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Kenwood R1000 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood R1000
Kenwood R1000 Reviews: 34 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $Kenwood R1000
Description: manual & connectors
More info: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/commrxvr/r1000.html

You can write your own review of the Kenwood R1000.

AE6RS Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2009 00:04 Send this review to a friend
Excellent RX, Simple, a Beginner's Friend  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased a used R-1000 and I am amazed at its performance, excellent audio, stability for its era, and ease of use. This radio is now commissioned to introduce my Jr. high students to radio communications/Ham radio, and wow does it work great for them! Broadcasts sound golden, Ham SSB sounds like the ops are standing in the room, and CW is warm and crisp...all sounding like a fine Kenwood should. The tuning is touchy as mentioned and requires care to get it right with SSB or CW.

The best part...the front panel has "record out". This feature serves as an excellent line output with a constant sound level independent of volume "AF" control. Connect to a computer sound card "line input", download free software and adjust; and watch PSK31, CW, and SSTV come absolutely alive for beginner and experienced alike!

This receiver is a treasure and built to last many years to come...

I'll put up pictures of students using it on my classroom web page at www.cooltechlab.org

73, Rick AE6RS

KC8HQX Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2008 19:56 Send this review to a friend
Clearly best of breed for it's era  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased an R-1000 several years off of of eBay once I decided to upgrade to a "real" communications receiver. I performed the obligatory switch checkup and backlight replacement, but this radio has otherwise been rock solid.

I can't add much that hasn't said before other than I'll probably take it to my grave. Built like a tank, great selectivity, stable and FANTASTIC audio. The WIDE AM filter is often too wide, but when you get a clean signal from a top notch broadcaster like Radio Netherlands or the Vatican, that huge filter bandwidth sounds incredible. Use a good pair of headphones or connect a quality full range speaker and you're really in for a treat.

If you ever have the chance to buy one, don't hesitate. I'm not sure which has been more faithful, my dog or the R-1000.

KC8HQX

WA3A Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2008 15:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent RX!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought mine on ebay for $200. They usually go for less. This one had the 12volt mod. It is a very good general coverage rx. Ive been a ham for 35 years and was worried that I would be disappointed with the ssb reception of the R-1000.
I was not! I also liked the sound of the narrow AM filter which others have not. The sensitivity is excellent and the selectivity is good. The tuning rate is almost too fast for ssb but its very usable. The audio from the internal speaker is very good.

KD5JCE Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2008 16:58 Send this review to a friend
Best Buy  Time owned: more than 12 months
Can't add a whole lot more to the previous reviews. I studied what was available in the $200 to $300 range and finally decided on the R-1000. What a joy to use. I have a Cobra 144' antenna up 60 feet on one end and 35 feet on the other, picks up stations from all over the world. Most of the time I have to dial in 20 to 40 db of RF attenuation, this is one sensitive receiver. And the selectivity is amazing for a radio over 20 years old, with no digital filtering. No memories or programming to fiddle with, just turn it on and start listening. Best electronic purchase I ever made. This is a keeper.

DXTUNER Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2008 00:11 Send this review to a friend
One solid performing machine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first time owning an R-1000, having recently purchased it on Ebay for less than $200. My 5/5 rating isn't to say the R-1000 outperforms any of the techier new desktops, but rather reflects my astonishment that a 25-year old model has held-up so well after so much previous use. Not only that, it fulfills most of my stringent expectations for HF Dx. I am impressed.

Sensitivity on SW is easily up-to-par. With just a short indoor antenna I receive Volmets from Europe. However, being accustomed to newer model units with installed DSP, it took me a few days to get used to the band noise (which, at times, can bury a weak utility station). Yet the R-1000 has an asset the newer hi-tech models don't have: It's big, heavy and solid -- it does not feel like a plastic toy. Accordingly, its audio is really rich & full. Headphones are not needed. Just notch-up the volume a bit & the entire room is full of tone!

Limitations: Digital readout only to 1 kHz. But its actually easy to fine-tune with the main dial. Also, USB voice Txs are received 1.9 MHz above the listed frequency. For example, I get 3455 kHz NY ATC at about 3456.9. Its as though this particular model was made for receiving USB RTTY & Fax instead of USB voice. Or something. However, AM & LSB are dead-on.

Sure, the R-1000 has some very minor limitations when compared to today's $700 models, but this is one very solid machine that consistently delivers. No cheapo model here. Probably the best $175-$300 radio purchase that one can possibly make on Ebay.

N4ZBS Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2008 04:50 Send this review to a friend
Great general coverage receiver.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently purchased this receiver at local ham fest. Have wanted one since seeing magazine adds in the early 80's. Receiver serves me as well as Icom 751-A and kenwood TS-450S. Do not need a manual, no dual function keys, good audio when connected ot my old Zenith Allegro speaker. My only concerns are; is there a way to change agc speed and increase sensitivity on medium wave and 160 meter band.
Again this is a great receiver and a joy to use.73's

KF6JSA Rating: 4/5 Apr 13, 2008 17:50 Send this review to a friend
a wonderful radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I Bought my R1000 at HRO back in 1983 after seeing an ad for it in QST and owning two other Radio Shack shortwave radios. I turned it on and never looked back. While it lacks a lot of features found on other table top receivers, that's sometimes a good thing. The R1000 controls are laid out so clearly and sensibly that someone with no experience operating communications receivers will have the R1000 figured out in no time. The receiver's greatest asset is its ability to pull stations out of a noisy background, even when that noise measures an S9! The R1000 comes with both coax and wire antenna connections and reception in the low power tropical bands is especially good if you have a coax fed longwire antenna. The R1000 has no antenna of its own and you don't need an antenna farm to start listening. The R1000 is quite sensitive even with a piece of wire as an antenna. Tuning the R1000 is a joy. It's 0-30Mghz coverage is divided into 30 bands, each 1khz wide, so you can easily single out a favorite station in a crowded band.
With its all metal cabinet, the R100 is built like a tank. Being physically disabled, I've fallen into it walking on crutches and knocked it over a few times and it survived intact.
The receiver's weaknesses are that for its class, an RF gain control and adjustable AGC should have been included but are not. The automatic AGC is painfully slow, which can often obscure weak stations among strong ones while band scanning. The lamps which Illuminate the spread dial and the S-meter eventually burn out. The R1000's sensitivity in the longwave and mediumwave part of the the spectrum has been deliberately reduced by Kenwood to prevent overload,which makes it hard to do medium wave DX. What puzzles me is that the R1000 has an attenuator with a maximum setting of 60db, so the reduction in sensitivity seems unnecessary. The filters installed on the R1000, 12khz Wide and 6Khz narrow are a little too wide for my taste on shortwave, but you can change that to 6Khz wide and 2.7khz narrow if you get the R1000 Owner's manual and are good with a screwdriver. I'll tell you, with the wide setting on a Local AM talk station listening on headphones, I could hear the producer talking to the host through the station intercom and all the voice processing being used. The speaker on the receiver itself is only fair, lacking a low end. Kenwood has wisely put an external speaker jack on the rear of the unit. The SSB features work really well and use a 2.7 KHZ Filter. There's some drift in SSB mode when you first turn on the R1000, but it stablizes after it warms up. Other nice features include a clock, a timer, and a remote recording feature. If you buy one, be prepared to do your own repairs. Kenwood no longer services this model. A great, tough radio and an excellent value.

K9EUI Rating: 4/5 Dec 9, 2007 10:03 Send this review to a friend
Great general coverage rcvr  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had three of these over the years and for the $$ they can't be beat. Simple yet stable and sensitive. There are a couple of issues that can be remedied however. The AGC time constant is SLOW on AM and FAST on CW/SSB, just the reverse of the way it should be. There is an easy way to select whichever time constant you want in either mode. There is also a better way to select the three IF filters. The front end can also be easily modified to receive, with good sensitivity, down to 10 kHz. For these changes, see my article in March 1982 "73" magazine.

KC0ZZH Rating: 4/5 Oct 18, 2007 23:22 Send this review to a friend
Basic Starter Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second time having this R1000, traded it about seven months ago for an R-2000. Come about two weeks ago I got this radio back. Right now itís hooked up to 20M dipole. I mostly listen for casual DX or broadcast stations.

The R-1000 to me is ideal. Lack of memories isn't an issue for me since I have never used them. Dial accuracy isn't the best but once again I do not expect much for a unit of this age. The build quality is more than satisfactory.

No "big" radio features such as RF Gain and Notch filtering, but it does fine without those. I think the meter is too small, but usable once you get used to it.

Unit has great stock sound. Not even the newer radios can compare. No need to get an external speaker here.

It receives as well as my old Icom R-70.

Overall, I would rate this radio a 3.8 out of 5 bc of its lack of useful features, but when it comes down to it this radio is still hard to beat for all around quality.

N1WCL Rating: 4/5 Oct 19, 2006 15:29 Send this review to a friend
Good for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second R1000, sold the first one, what a bonehead! Right now itís hooked up to 20M sloper.and a 50 foot long wire antenna. Using the switch on the rear of the radio to change antennas These are great radios for band scanning. I mostly listen and search for utility stations on the SW bands. The winter half is my favorite time to search for new stations.
The R1000 is ideal. It has no memories so a pen and paper is required. With itís analog VFO and a digital readout which on my unit reads about 1khz high. Not bad, gives my brain something to do! The build quality is fabulous, nice tuning knob. When my Daughter first saw it, she couldn't believe it was over 20 years old!
She thought it was new. I thought in the back of my head we could only wish the new receivers looked and felt as nice as this classic. Thereís no notch filter or an adjustable RF gain which is probably a weak point for the R1000. I think the meter is a little small, but usable. The sound is good with the speaker, but headphones are always better anyhow for weak SSB stuff.
It receives at least as well as my Sony 2010 from the same time period. But itís a lot more fun to use. These are a great value and will out perform most portable SW radios. You can still find them on eBay or sites like eham and probably at hamfests. Also it might even be the best $200 spent on a radio. I have a feeling mine will last for another 20 years and no itís not for sale!