Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TM-V7A Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TM-V7A
Kenwood TM-V7A Reviews: 118 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $719.95
Description: The dual band mobile with the cool blue display.
More info: http://www.kenwood.net/products/index.cfm?AMA=open&ama_mob=open

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TM-V7A.

KK6WOW Rating: 4/5 Aug 31, 2016 12:20 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio But Mic Problem  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought 2 of these radios used and love them. No problems with the screens and lines showing up as others have commented. Although I was aware of the problem with the display because I read up on the radio before purchasing - I made sure that the sellers specifically said no display problems. That being said, the radio works great in all functions...except the Mic.
Not too many people have commented on the microphone, but the microphone is very attenuated and does not have the high end crispiness as other Kenwood radios (like the Tm-281 or tm-v71)
If you research the microphone you will see that there is a known problem with the mics being "muffled" and low volume. Doing a quick mic switch and A/B comparison with another mic in your shack will confirm this for you. I have no idea what it is or why just these particular mics exhibit this characteristic, but it is there. I currently use this radio with replacement mics that I purchased on Amazon. It is wired for Kenwood RJ45 8-pin and sound much brighter and louder than the stock mic that comes with the radio. Only problem is, the wiring is a little off and you cannot use the DTMF with the replacement mics. But I am happy to use manual and computer programming and just have a loud clear mic to talk while using this radio. I use the radio indoors as my shack dual band FM rig. It is completely useless outdoors in the sun or any amount of sunlight because of the screen. The cool blue display looks great indoors, and thats the only place I can use it. So if you buy this rig for your go-box, don't expect to see the screen well. Other than that, the only other comment is that it is solid, puts out the stated watts and looks great in my shack.

KJ4FGI Rating: 4/5 Mar 28, 2015 19:49 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have not had a problem with this radio at all, I owned the Yaesu FT-8800, it stated vhf 50w and 35 uhf, it didin't. the TM-V7a is a true 50/35.
I don't know about these other reviews, it would be nice for more reviews with hams that did not have a problem.

Works great and great audio reports. Kenwood still has free programming software available for download.

W7BNW Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2012 07:30 Send this review to a friend
Great Find!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased a Kenwood TM-V7A at the Williams HamFest this past year. Owner told me that it had some issues and told me to just take it home and play with it. The unit would not save frequencies when turned off and the screen contrast would not hold the setting. I did a complete "Transceiver Reset". Unit works great now! Now I guess I have to pay for it.

KC0VOE Rating: 0/5 Apr 25, 2012 17:13 Send this review to a friend
FAIL  Time owned: more than 12 months
When will I learn to stay away from everything Kenwood? Every Kenwood radio I have ever had has fallen apart. I must like torture because now I got a TS-590, which I hate. My V7A quit working after about a year. Solder joints in the head unit came apart and that was the end of that. Do not buy this radio.

VE3XNB Rating: 2/5 Dec 27, 2011 22:43 Send this review to a friend
Beginning to suck  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned mine for @ 8 years now. It has gotten progressively worse. The lines in the display make it difficult to use. Radio World in Toronto On. had the voice unit on clearout so I bought one. Makes it easier to use. But the programing has become difficult. Will be replacing the unit as soon as I can afford to. Will likely go with something from Yaesu. Have several Yaesu products and am generally happy with them all. My wife VA3BLM is also happier with the Yaesu stuff she owns. I also have an
R-5000 that I have had to have repaired several times now. It too worked great at first but has gotten worse with "the out of lock problem."
Kenwood seems to be sliding down hill quickly.

N2PLI Rating: 3/5 Sep 1, 2011 21:27 Send this review to a friend
Just ok  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi I had one of these radios about 6 years ago very very hard to program I was never able to figure out how to use the .Display was not to bad a had a later model.It hold ok Intermod rejection.I should have dished out the extra 300 and bought the standard 5900 when it was available..5 years later I found a 5900 in near mint condition.

AD5KL Rating: 4/5 Apr 29, 2011 09:12 Send this review to a friend
Had 2 of them  Time owned: more than 12 months
First one is great, TX audio was strong. Only problem was the display problem after a few years.

Second one has had no issues with display but the TX audio was weak. After reading a bunch of different fixes, I chose the low tech approach. I disassembled the mic so I wouldn't harm the element. I drilled out the hole in front of the element & put it back together again. Worked like a charm.

W0IW Rating: 2/5 Dec 2, 2009 09:22 Send this review to a friend
Solid Radio /Worst display in History!  Time owned: more than 12 months
THERE IS A FIX FOR TM-V7A's HAZY BLUE DIMMING DISPLAYS!!!

I got sick of the display problem with them and I developed a modification to that radios head which allows the display to be clear and bright even in bright sunshine (( Check it out )) ...

I own 3 TM-V7A's..

I have used one of them for almost 7 years now in a cross-banding mode in the house it has worked flawlessly for me (( A +++ )) Except the display on all of them have grown more and more fuzzy and almost impossible to read.... The Others TM-V7A's are in my truck and in my shack.. All have been modded with my TM-V7A's fix, and now I enjoy them even in bright sunlight...

Joe Leto
WIW
w0iw.com

W9SAS Rating: 4/5 Nov 7, 2009 17:46 Send this review to a friend
What K4JF said  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used my TM-V7A mobile for years (until my vehicle was totalled by a clueless moron who rear-ended me at 40 mph while talking on her cell phone as I was stopped in traffic: no injuries luckily.) Performance-wise, the radio was great on all counts, Rx and Tx. And I never had the display "lines" problems reported by others. It just worked. And worked.

That said, the display is an ergonomic disaster. I could never locate it in my vehicle where I could view it consistently. Changing from normal to reverse video was no help. Via the extra-long extension kit, I finally put it above the rear view mirror in my minivan. Fortunately I had the VS-3 voice synthesizer option installed, which eliminated the need to look at the display much at all during routine operation. That made mobile operation tolerable.

For a fixed installation I'd give this radio a 5, but only a 3 for mobile, hence my overall 4 rating.

73s, Steve (W9SAS)

K4JF Rating: 3/5 Nov 5, 2009 18:10 Send this review to a friend
Great rig, poor display  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used the TM-V7A for years, always mobile in one car. The radio worked great, clear audio, solid crossband work. The display, however, was a pain. It is extremely temperature sensitive. Cold car, have to reset contrast before I could read it. Then reset when the car warmed up. Hot car in summer, same thing. Readjust when the a/c cooled it down. Pain in the tokus!! Plus, if I were wearing polarized sunglasses, the display went blank!! Almost all my station is Kenwood with solid results, but this one has a serious problem with the display. I replaced this with a TM271A. The display works fine, but it isn't remotable, so not as convenient. Therefore I would recommend the TM-271A ONLY for fixed station work, not mobile.