Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Jeff Covelli WA8SAJ Help

Reviews Summary for Jeff Covelli WA8SAJ
Reviews: 73 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: RL Drake repair
More info: http://www.wb4hfn.com/Services/WA8SAJ/SAJ-Repair.htm

You can write your own review of the Jeff Covelli WA8SAJ.

KT5T Rating: 5/5 Aug 25, 2017 08:56 Send this review to a friend
Collins S Line Repair  Time owned: more than 12 months
I would like you to know that Jeff is the best Collins tech you can find. He has fixed numerous Collins S Line equipment including 75s-1 -3 32s-1-3 as well as a KWM2-A for me.
Jeff also rebuilds the Collins Power supplies.

Jeff repairs the Drake TR7s with the same great skills.

Jeff charges a very reasonable price and keeps you updated on the repairs.
I would not use anyone else.

Carl kt5t

AA4TZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2017 08:28 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Jeff is knowledgeable, reliable and reasonable.
He recently repaired a Drake TR-7 for me.
When received back from Jeff the TR-7 looked and operated like a new unit. His turnaround time was very good.
He is very available and is willing to share his vast knowledge.
Highly recommended!

KG3I Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2017 17:39 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Craftsman  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a Drake TR-7 as part of an estate sale from Ebay along with some other Drake gear. When I finally got all the equipment the TR-7 received fine but did not transmit. I had heard about Jeff from some on line source and decided to give him a call. From the first time we chatted I found him to be a real gentleman and very friendly and willing to share is vast knowledge. He obviously has an incredible love for these old beauties. After trying some things it became apparent that I needed to send it to him. Surprisingly he got to working on it fairly quickly. The radio ended up having some serious issues but Jeff was able to find and correct the problems. Additionally, he went over the radio in detail and provided a detailed report of what he had found and repaired. When I opened the box when she returned it looked like a new radio!

In summary, Not only is Jeff an excellent technician but he is a great guy. 73, Doug KG3i

AI6SS Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2016 13:05 Send this review to a friend
Repair & Service  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I’m on the west coast and recently acquired a mid-to-late model Drake TR-7. The radio was loaded with filters and working, but it hadn’t been opened up in years (not meant to be anything other than a remark on the quality of the Drake gear). I wanted to make small incremental improvements and build a station around it starting with a swap-out of the factory 2.3 Khz filter with a 2.8 Khz filter. I purchased a 2.8 Khz 8 pole crystal filter and before attempting to install the filter I first checked the alignment beginning with the +10v supply. It was about +9v. As I tired to adjust the pot on the supply board I noticed it was frozen. I took power off the radio and using a small amount of Deoxit was able break free the pot (I tried to sight and mark the original physical position of the pot).

Unfortunately, when I reapplied power the voltage reading was over +12v. I was able to adjust the pot to reset the power to +10v and measured this voltage across the pot resistors on the power supply board. However, when I tried to zero beat, I didn’t get any digital readings. The digital reading was simply counting (VCO oscillators cycling) and I was unable to adjust for frequency on any band or setting. Apparently the over voltage knocked the oscillators and the PBT board out of alignment. Since the PBT is the center of the radio…it no longer appeared to work correctly. Not being all that familiar with the radio (and not having a replacement PBT board laying around), and certainly not wanting to make matters worse… I reached out to Jeff Covelli WA8SAJ.

I can say without reservation that Jeff is a wealth of information and a remarkable asset to our community. He freely spent time on the phone with me to discuss the issues and things to watch out for when trying to align or modify the radio. I could listen to Jeff talk about the Drake radios for hours and decided to send the radio to him in Ohio. After the radio arrived in Ohio, Jeff spent a little time troubleshooting and found several problems with components on the PBT so he replaced the board. After a few other replacement parts and a complete alignment (plus a few mods) the radio sings. Besides the 2.8 Khz filter swap Jeff updated the radio with the wide band AM modification (it already had the factory original 6 Khz am filter) and the front panel transmit power control that will help when driving my L75. I can control the transmit drive on all bands from the front panel now with no problems with distortion with the amplifier.

While waiting for the radio to reach Jeff, I downloaded all the Dayton Hamvention Forums where Jeff and others provided briefings. Wow, what a series of events! Jeff even has the original working papers/files from Milt Sullivan, Drake’s Chief Engineer.

BTW…I was surprised with Jeff’s charges for the above services…time and materials. Unbelievably reasonable, and probably why the guy is so busy. Since he knows what he is doing… it took him only a few hours to provide all the services mentioned above. I won’t hesitate to recommend Jeff and I’ve decided to attend the 2017 Dayton Hamvention.

N2KPJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2016 13:22 Send this review to a friend
TR-4c/RV-4c/MN-2000/AC-4  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I acquired a complete Drake station for a very good deal from a local ham who indicated he thought it was working fine. Well anyway I had some issues and found Jeff's reviews here on eHam and gave him a call. He was extremely helpful since I was new to older tube gear. Anyway it was determined that I had some issues going on and he suggested I send everything to him to go through(TR-4c,AC-4, MN-2000, RV-4c) Boy was I glad I did. It works and looks like a brand new station. Turn around was extremely fast.When I put it back on the air I had some issues and a call to Jeff and he generously worked me through my problem.(Operator error, oops) Very willing to share his knowledge and his time. He doesn't make you feel like an idiot if you don't know something or if you are doing something incorrectly. You won't go wrong having Jeff work on your older Drake equipment.

WB6TTF Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2016 17:51 Send this review to a friend
Jeff has gifted hands and electronics understanding 2nd to none  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Not the first time Jeff has repaired "new" Drake gear for me and it wont be the last! He resurrected a 2B for me and it functions as if new. Really. This time it was the Drake Twins. Again, like new.

Whenever I've needed to talk to Jeff, he always answers the phone and is as friendly and approachable as anyone can be. He's happy to share his knowledge.

N9AI Rating: 1/5 Aug 19, 2016 05:14 Send this review to a friend
Save your $$$  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my TR5 back from him and the band switch was still dirty and not working correctly. You would think that the band switch is something he would pay attention to. I guess that what I get for thinking. I fixed the switch myself. From here on out, I'll send my gear to someone with a good reputation.
This guy also likes to argue and talks down to you. He thinks he can 'walk on water'. He is in for a surprise one of these days.

KB1PKS Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2016 17:03 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Drake Restorations and Repairs  Time owned: more than 12 months
Jeff has helped me with repair work and replacements since 2007 when I first became a ham. To date he has repaired and enhanced at least eight different Drake rigs and accessories for me. Way back in 2007 I sent a poorly working T-4XB (obtained via e-Bay) and AC-4 power supply (also e-Bay) to Jeff as my first submission. He repaired, aligned, and replaced all necessary caps in the T-4XB as well as the 6JB6 finals. He also replaced all the caps in the AC-4 as well. When it came back from Jeff the T-4XB looked and ran like new putting out 160 to 170 watts on 160 to 15 meters. More than this, Jeff gave me instructions on how to use my vintage Collins R390A receiver with the Drake T-4XB to zero beat and get on the air when I finally got my ticket in 2007. Since then I also sent a R-4B (Dayton Hamfest) to Jeff which he completely refurbished with new caps, aligned it with my T-4XB and both B-Line Twins still look and run like a charm. Over the years Jeff has fully restored and aligned my more recently purchased R-4C (e-Bay) and T-4XC (e-Bay) twins and repaired a newly installed 4-NB noise blanker (also e-Bay) that needed a new pot and re-wiring to chassis (which is not properly covered in the Drake 4-NB manual).

This past month I purchased a vintage Drake 2B via e-Bay and 2BQ Q-multiplier via the 2016 Dayton Hamfest. As received the Drake 2B only poorly received signals on 80 meters and no other band yet had all the crystals for 80 through 10 meters as well as the optional 10A crystal. I sent my 2B and 2BQ to Jeff and he brought back both to life, better than Factory Specs! Not only did Jeff replace all the caps, clean the chassis and repaint or replace the knobs and faceplate, he mechanically repaired the passband tuner by taking it apart and refurbishing the springs, cams and aligning it, so that proper passband tracking is now restored (for the details of the Drake 2B passband tuner, please see the recent article in Electric Radio, Number 323, April 2016)! All I can say is that Jeff supplies great service and there is nobody with his depth of knowledge and passion when it comes to Drake radios. All my Drakes look and perform great thanks to Jeff. Jeff will always be my guy for all my Drake repair and advice in the future! Thank you Jeff.
As for the latest Drake 2B and 2BQ additions to my shack, I have submitted some before and after pictures to the 40 meter 7272 Ragchew net newsletter that one can obtain by looking on the web or by contacting the author of the newsletter, Robert W. Lobenstein, WA2AXZ on QRZ.Com or by e-mail at WA2AXZ@arrl.net.

WB6TTF Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2016 20:25 Send this review to a friend
Highly skilled, Knows what he's doing!, glad I found him!   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Jeff Covelli is an enormously talented electronics technician as well as being very patient and most approachable. With his knowledge and skills of over forty years, he brought back to life a TR4 I really thought was ready for the scrap bin. The receive is now amazingly sensitive and has that "Drake audio" quality and puts out close to 200 watts. He also upgraded the AC4 power supply for me. I felt his fee was extremely reasonable for the work that was done. I would definitely have Jeff work on my other electronics anytime!

KG9D Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2016 11:13 Send this review to a friend
great experience  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sent my 2B to Jeff for repairs and it was back in my shack on the 28 for a fast turnaround.The radio performs and looks brand new.He returns old parts and documents referring to the work he performs.I would highly recommend him for your vintage radio repairs.