Reviews Categories | Ham Shack Accessories | ID-O-Matic Help

Reviews Summary for ID-O-Matic
ID-O-Matic Reviews: 26 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $20.00
Description: The ID-O-Matic is a multipurpose, PIC microcontroller based project that nearly everyone can use. In its most basic form, it's a simple 10-minute timer with audio and visual outputs to remind you when it's time to ID.

But wait, as they say -- there's more! How about a variable delay timer that announces your call sign or any other message, in Morse code at a speed you choose? How about CW keying and PTT outputs so you can attach it to a "fox" transmitter, or an emergency crossband repeater? And how about inputs for squelch or COR to make a repeater IDer that works the way you want it? And how about a serial interface to connect to your shack computer, laptop or terminal? And how about a Morse keyboard mode that sends text from your keyboard in Morse code (new in V2.0!) It's all there. Sorry, no Ginsu knives or fruit peeler included.

The ID-O-Matic can meet a pretty wide range of needs. Out of the box, so to speak, it will light up a green LED until nine minutes have passed. The LED then turns yellow, and at 9 minutes 30 seconds starts blinking yellow/red. At ten minutes the ID-O-Matic beeps at you until you reset it with the pushbutton, then starts over.

Using the built-in RS232 serial interface, connect it to a terminal or a PC with a terminal emulation program (Procomm, Hyperterminal, etc) and you can set your own delay from 1 second to over 9 hours. You can control when the LED turns yellow and when it starts blinking. You can also choose between the default beep, or just type in your call sign or any other mesage up to 64 characters long to hear it in Morse code. When in CW ID mode, ID-O-Matic will send the message, then automatically reset and start timing again.

You can also select repeater mode. In repeater mode two additional inputs can be used to control when ID-O-Matic sends your selected Morse code ID. You can use a squelch, COR, PTT or other signals of your choosing. You can optionally have the ID-O-Matic send a courtesy beep at the end of each transmission.

In Morse keyboard mode, text you type is sent in Morse using the speaker, CW and PTT outputs. Letters A-Z, numbers 0-9, AR, BT, SK and punctuation ( . , / ? @ ) can be sent (yes, even the new @ sign). You can also use the + and - symbols to increase or decrease the code speed in the middle of a message if you want.

Regardless of the mode used, the PTT output is active 100ms before and 100ms after the CW ID, and the CW output can be used to drive a keying transistor for CW transmitters. Speed is variable from 5 to 60 words per minute, and the audio pitch is also variable via the menu.
More info: http://www.hamgadgets.com

You can write your own review of the ID-O-Matic.

N9KTW Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2012 20:31 Send this review to a friend
Great little kit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great little kit. I am using it as a controller on MICOR repeater.

Easy and quick to assemble with great instructions. Easy and fast to program using "HYPERTERMINAL".

Technical support and customer service from Dale is absolutely the best, Thank you Dale.

W2NAP Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2012 20:35 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
We got a ID O matic for the 435 repeater we built here in Indiana. Pretty simple to build. and works quite well.

Only "con" is the audio level adjustments are extremely touchy you can go from low audio to blaring loud overdriven with just a slight bump. so adjusting the levels is a bit of a pain. but once set your good to go.

Ours has been running for a couple months now non stop and I have no complaints. works quite nice for a simple repeater controller

KF7IWZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2011 19:13 Send this review to a friend
ID-O-Matic II  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It was easy to assemble and interface to my receiver and transmitter. The features are just what I needed. It is easy to program. The instuctions were great. Customer service is excellent.

I asked for advice on making some custom modifications to better suit my preferences and my Emails were answered quickly and the advice was perfect. The modifications gave me exactly what I wanted.

I've already ordered another!!!

When using this kit as a repeater controller,
make sure to use proper shielding for this board and wiring to avoid desense.

N5GEB Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2011 08:28 Send this review to a friend
This is for the ID-O-Matic II  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I acquired a vhf repeater setup using two Motorola GM300 radios and a RICK. I needed a identifier and this was just the trick! This unit is very straight forward, easy to build and program. Very satisfied!

N2OBS Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2010 18:35 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Enjoyed building my id-o-matic, instructions was clearly written and enjoyed constructing that i purchased another for more fun. The first purchased was installed in my uhf repeater and have been operating ever since without any issue. Dale really put alot of thought and effort in creating the circuit board and he was extremely helpful anytime asked every e-mail message was followed up promptly.

WZ0O Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2008 06:38 Send this review to a friend
Wow what a deal  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the best money I have spent on shack goodies. I sure hope I learn all the things this gem will do before I become a SK.HiHi
How Dale does it for the price is a wonder. It went together in about 30 minutes and then the real fun began. I have messed with it for over 2 weeks and am still finding new things I can do with it.Thanks for a great kit Dale
Brad
WZ0O

K2JN Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2008 04:18 Send this review to a friend
Useful and innovative!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I finished the board some time ago but finally got around to mounting the board, connectors and switches in a plastic box this evening. It's an interesting and inexpensive kit with lots of useful features. The hardest part of the construction was trying to figure out how to layout everything in a case. However, I had lots of fun and enjoyed the feeling of success when it worked the first time I applied power. Mine is configured to work as a simple ID timer with an output port to command a beacon transmitter.

AF5U Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2007 13:55 Send this review to a friend
As good as it comes!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Simply the best bang for the buck. The project is not simply a CW IDer, Beacon, or Repeater ID - it is whatever you could want in the way of this kind of device. You can find smaller devices but they wont have built-in reprogramming on them. This one can be changed when ever you feel the need. I am going to use it as a Auto IDer inside my HF SSB and FM rigs. Not only am I covered by the FCC rule to ID my station at least every 10 minutes, but if my rig is ever stollen, it will identify itself via PTT. That will help on the recovery and/or conviction.

K9KJM Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2007 22:27 Send this review to a friend
Great value!  Time owned: more than 12 months
A great value. In fact, I would like to see a few more bells and whistles (Like the easy ability to add voice ID) at a higher price.....
I bought one, Easy assembly, But had trouble trying to interface a voice ID module with it.
But then, For 20 bucks, The ID-O-Matic is a great value all by itself. So I wound up just using it as it was intended, CW ID. Works fine.

KB9MWR Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2007 20:45 Send this review to a friend
Simple but powerful  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the first version of this and the second. I've recommended it to others.

Initially I picked it up to compare it to a simple
controller I built from QST. What I like about the ID-O-Matic about it is an interactive way to set the callsign and other parameters, instead of hard-coded on an EEPROM. It has a serial port connector you you jack in with hyper terminal.

I have one in service as a bare bone repeater controller wired to a pair of Maxtracs. Works great. The other I use for foxhunts and misc.