Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Pryme PR-222 Help

Reviews Summary for Pryme PR-222
Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $299.95
Description: (missing—add Description)
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Pryme PR-222.

N3OMS Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2004 11:50 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful little rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Programing is not the simplest, but neither is a Standard (my personal favorite). The price can't be beat for what it is, and it seems to be "heavy duty". You get what you pay for, and in this case, I believe you get more than you pay for, and that is rare these days.

Mike

KD4WOV Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2001 19:39 Send this review to a friend
A great 220 HH  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
i have had my PR-222 for almost a year, and i think it is a very solid rig. I also have the PR-460 which is the UHF comercial version and it is the same radio just for a different band. they are solid performers.

To operate it from DC there is a cord with a battery look alike that attaches like a battery and it works great. I have used mine with a larson on a mag mount with great results. When i was traveling tru FLA and GA i would get most repeaters out to 20 to 30 miles with out an amp.
It has a great reciever also. Programing is a little tricky but once you get the hang of it is wil be a breeze.

KE6NFZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2000 00:43 Send this review to a friend
RUGGED AND FUNCTIONAL 220 HT  Time owned: unknown months
I've had my Pryme PR-222 one day now. I am very pleased with this radio; it is my first 220 rig. I like the compact size, and the feeling that I am holding a bulletproof HT (it also feels like you're holding a small heavy gun). The bicolor LED on top lights green when receiving, red when transmitting and is easily viewed when on the belt. I have received good signal reports stating that I have excellent audio going into repeaters. I have monitored myself on 2 meters while talking on a linked 220 system, and I am very happy with my audio. I don't have to crowd the mic, and I get loud undistorted audio. Compared to other 220 HTs, the 40 memory channels, PL encode and decode advanced DTMF functions, and ANI all standard make this radio an excellent value.

With these things said, here is what I don't like:
-The only way to change channels is with the up/down buttons.
-It is not obvious what all the functions on the buttons are.
-To set power level you have to be transmitting.
-Every time you change channels it automatically switches to HI power.
-There is not a manual squelch control.
-The manual is not that great.
Does not cover external DC power, only charging.
No trouble shooting/error code section.
The directions for deleting a memory don't do what they claim.
It DOES cover how to adjust the volume. (turn the knob dummy!)