Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Palstar PM2000A Wattmeter Help

Reviews Summary for Palstar PM2000A Wattmeter
Palstar PM2000A Wattmeter Reviews: 32 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $159.95
Description: The PM2000A measures and displays forward power, reflected power, and SWR simultaneously on it's dual movement meter system, in the frequency range 1.8MHz to 60 MHz. Accuracy of the readings is assured because the PM2000A features a true shielded directional coupler. The backlit meter can display either peak or average power readings, and has 300 and 3000 watt range settings. The PM2000A is the next generation of watt meters from Palstar. All of the features of the WM150 are intergrated into the PM2000A, but it can measure up to 2kW, and also has a 2 second PEAK/HOLD capability.
More info: http://www.palstar.com/pm2000a.php

You can write your own review of the Palstar PM2000A Wattmeter.

KI6RSE Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2008 22:58 Send this review to a friend
WONDERFUL METER!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ive used Dosy and cheaper meters all my 11 meter career, Got my ham ticket and decided it was time for some more professional equipment,After reviewing EHAM i decided on the Palstar Meter. Super meter, Very accurate near as I can tell, only drawbacks i can see is maybe a little bigger meter face and switchable backlight.Customer service at Palstar was very accomodating and efficient, Overall a pleasant experience.

W8NLZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2008 17:43 Send this review to a friend
Solid Investment  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I agonized over purchasing an SWR/Wattmeter with digital readout vs one with cross-needle display, feeling the latter was a bit old fashion. Ultimately, decided on the Palstar PM2000A with a cross-needle display and ... I'm glad I did! It's a solid, well-constructed unit which has given me zero problems. (a) I can tune my manual transmatch very quickly. (b) I get a feel for my modulation level from watching the needle as I speak. (c) The 200/2000Watt ranges are just right for barefoot at 100 watts or 1kW with an amplifier. I'm happy with the unit. Feel i made a solid investment.

W7JBB Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2008 21:55 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is, and has been,really fine gear for a number of years now.

Excellent quality, design and quality control.

There is no comparison between Palstar service, support, and quality control and the more popular mass marketed brand.

Again thanks Paul for making such quality available to us quality conscious hams.

W7JBB

K4DTC Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2007 12:39 Send this review to a friend
Good meter  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a good, reliable, well built wattmeter. No complaints or problems.

WU8P Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2007 15:30 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Meter  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had mine for 6 months now. It works great and built like a tank. I also have a AT1KM tuner that is also built very well. Thank you Palstar for some very nice products.

KC2FTN Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2007 15:24 Send this review to a friend
FANTASTIC  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This meter is very solidly manufactured and it covers from 1.8-60 MHz. I really like the peak hold feature, and the meter seems to be quite accurate as well.

JUNKMAN Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2007 21:43 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Meter for the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first PM2000A but not my first Palstar wattmeter. I've owned several of the WM-150's in the past. First off I'll say that I have to agree with N4JA in that the SWR calibration does seem to be a little off right out of the box. Mine showed my 75 meter dipole to have almost a 2:1 SWR when in fact it was really only 1.3:1 on my reference meter(LP-100). It showed a 1.5:1 on my 50ohm dummy load. After a calibration of both the 300 and 3000 watt reflected scales all is fine. It now shows my dipole at a 1.4:1 and my dummy load at 1.1:1,close enough for me. Both the foward scales were just about spot on out of the box so I didn't mess with those. The meter has a fast attack and delay time which I like and the peak hold works very well. Fit and finish are typical Palstar,excellent. After a slight calibration the meter seems to be very accurate at all power levels. For the price I think it's a great meter and probably about as good as anything you're going to get in an analog meter.

N4JA Rating: 4/5 Jan 1, 2007 21:42 Send this review to a friend
Calibration was bad  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Being a broadcast engineer, I have access to some test equipment that is superior to calibrating the meter by comparing its readings to a Bird wattmeter. The Bird is only accurate to 5% of full scale. This means if full scale is 3000 watts, it could be off as much as plus or minus 150 watts. I can measure the power to 1% using 1% calibrated RF ammeters and an RF impedance bridge. My Palstar said my amp was putting out 1000 watts when in fact it was putting out 1325 watts. I recalibrated the Palstar meter to read approximately that value (you can only read the meter scale to about 2 signicant figures). I had to recalibrate the peak and average power to read the same value when measuring the power of a carrier. I had to recalibrate the reflected power function. On 17 meters the Palstar said the SWR was 2.5:1 when it was actually 1.42:1. After recalibration on that band, the measured SWR on all bands were very close. This is an easy prodcedure to do. All you have to do is to reverse the coax connections to the meter and the reflected power scale becomes the temporary forward power scale. Afterwards the connections are flipped again and reconnected the right way. Unlike another reviewer who said the power measurements did not track from band to band, they tracked perfectly on my meter. Other than the poor calibration (it was originally close, but no cigar) the meter is probably as good as any on the market and it is better than many.

G3UXB Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2006 17:30 Send this review to a friend
Great SWR meter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have just purchased the Palstar PM2000A swr/wattmeter and have to say I am extremely pleased with it, excellent build quality and it appears to be very accurate compared to my KW 107 that I have calibrated with an RF ammeter and VTVM in fact up to 14 mhz it is spot on (the KW 107 falls off on higher frequencies)and the peak reading feature works fantastic, it also sits on top of my LDG Z100 autotuner just perfectly, and after reading N06E's fine article on wattmeters I am even more pleased with it's accuracy. I also read N5CNN's article on HF wattmeters and I think he does Paul at Palstar a great in justice, I have never experienced anything but great service and product from Palstar, unlike the MFJ stuff

W8JHA Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2006 19:50 Send this review to a friend
Nice Power Meter  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I now have two of the PM2000A meters and they are reliable and accurate relative to their cost. I had previously bought the DL2K dummy load and found the quality of that unit to be extremely sound. And the meters are in the same league. I use the one PM2000A with my Drake B-Line/C-Line, 2Line, L4B/MN2000 station and the other with my TR7/TR5/L7/MN2700 station.