Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | EchoBase Help

Reviews Summary for EchoBase
EchoBase Reviews: 3 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $0.00
Description: N8AD's virtual software lets you access HF via your computer. It has been over two years since the original post about my EchoLink "EchoBASE / MixBASE" project appeared. I designed the system to be made available as an experiment to enhance the hobby. As in all experimental packages there were many obstacles. I did not intend to provide a freebie system that non-qualified hams could use to escape upgrade. I did not intend to provide a system that hams could use to avoid the work and expense of building a station of their own. It was designed primarily for experimentation. As you can tell there are NO other systems available on EchoLink today that provide fully functional HF/VHF/UHF Transceive Operation. The reason is that this is nearly impossible to duplicate with reliability in EchoLink! Since it was to be operated without my personnal intervention (I did not want to be present every second of it's use), it was necessary to establish it as a remotely controlled station. It is true that it's transmit usesr's were required to pass a "sort of" test without their knowing that they were being tested. There are two main reasons to administer such a test! First, I don't want you blowing up my equipment by using it incorrectly. Second, since I am responsible for proper rules compliance, even if I am not acting as control operator... I did not want anyone else responsible for N8AD receiving complaints and rule violation notifications from government authorities. FCC / IC / RSGB / ARRL / my mother / et al. I have been conducting Remote Experimentation on EchoLink for over 5 years. To this date I have only found a handfull of Hams wanting to experiment. Unfortunately I have had thousands requesting to use the remote base. Most don't want to read information on how to properly use the system. They just want to transmit!

You can write your own review of the EchoBase.

KB3JUV Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2005 08:20 Send this review to a friend
Amazing...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Amazing how far the EchoBase has come. I was always interested in how it worked. As far as I remember, it was one of the first remote bases on Echolink.

KR3ORY Rating: 4/5 Sep 1, 2005 08:50 Send this review to a friend
Innovative Alternative  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been using this to monitor the Emergency and H&W HF traffic from the Hurricane Katrina disaster. I find it pretty easy to use (if you read the instructions and the station operator, N8AD seems to be very helpful.)

It allows for EchoLink hams a chance to do some neat listening on HF without the HF gear in hand. I think it is understandble and prudent for N8AD as the station operator to be judicious with regard to any potential control operator(s) wanting to use it in XCVR, transceiver mode.

I could see this being an invaluable extension for hams who haven't aquired any HF gear yet or those who can't run their own equipment due to housing/antenna/location limitations. Given the price and the generousity of its intent, I say THANK YOU to Len, N8AD for this innovative EchoLink HF remote base station and to Len and Knut for the EZ-Pad freebie user interface.

Rory
KR3ORY

WA8MEA Rating: 0/5 Feb 14, 2005 20:53 Send this review to a friend
Not even worth FREE....  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
They say we shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. But I advise you to stay away from this freebie software/system for as far as the eye can see. Getting permission to operate the EchoBase software/system is not a clear procedure. And when you finally do gain access to Len, N8AD, your "permission" status will be graded on how well you've done on a type of personal exam he conducts. He has no website of his own for support. The instructions for use are located on some website in Europe. There are TWO SETS of instructions on that site, both different. More of a pain than it's worth. I think I'd rather spend a $35 per year donation on Lamonica's Internet Remote Base software/service.