Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Heil Pro Set Quiet Phones Help

Reviews Summary for Heil Pro Set Quiet Phones
Heil Pro Set Quiet Phones Reviews: 31 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $225.00
Description: There are three models of PRO SET QUIET PHONE - depending on which Heil microphone element you choose. PSQP -5 contains the Heil HC-5. PSQP-4 contains the "Dx Dream Machine" HC-4 and the PSQP -"iC" contains the high performance Heil electret for early (Pre Pro) ICOM inputs. The Heil PSQP interfaces into the Heil AD-1 adapters that are available to your corresponding transceiver.
More info: http://www.heilsound.com/amateur/pro_set_quiet_phone.htm

You can write your own review of the Heil Pro Set Quiet Phones.

K9MA Rating: 2/5 Dec 26, 2007 08:33 Send this review to a friend
RFI Problems  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Noise reduction works well at low frequencies. Passive noise reductions at high frequencies is fair, but a reasonable trade-off for comfort.

Sound is fine, except for slight high-frequency hiss. Distortion occurs at a fairly low level, which could be a problem for older users and those who use ear plugs for high frequency attenuation.

The big problem is RF susceptibility. I am disappointed by reports the Bob Heil blames this on excessive RF levels in the shack. Based on my experience, unless your antennas are far away from the shack, you will have a problem at 1.5 kW. Amateur equipment MUST be designed to tolerate fairly high levels of RF, and most is. I built an external filter consisting of one 470 microhenry chokes in series with each of the 5 microphone and audio wires, including the shields, which reduced the level considerably, but did not completely eliminate it. Wrapping extension cables around ferrite cores also works, but it took 3 of them. I suspect the remaining susceptibility comes from the cable from the headset to the electronics module. (Perhaps that is why that cable is so annoyingly short.)

I will keep the headset, but only because the acoustic noise from my amplifiers is slightly more bothersome than the RF pickup (after connecting the filters). I could recommend it without reservations if Heil did the following:

Fixed the RF susceptibility problem
Added about 3 feet to the cord from headset to module
Fixed the high-frequency hiss
Increased the maximum audio level

N1KFC Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2007 04:39 Send this review to a friend
Bravo Bob!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the PSQP for a couple of years and have had no rf problems in my shack or at friends' stations. The ANC function takes out power supply and other noise. The PSQP are comfortable for hours at a time. I have always received compliments on my audio. Even the case is well built and big enough for a spare set of batteries. Heil has delivered again. Thanx, Bob!

G7SOZ Rating: 1/5 Jun 4, 2007 03:52 Send this review to a friend
Need RF-proofing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I tried a pair of these at CW NFD this weekend. The ANC works nicely, doing a good job of cutting out generator noise etc. All is great until you key the rig and get RF problems.

W3LK Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2007 17:59 Send this review to a friend
Not the Phone's Fault  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have used a (borrowed) pair of these off and on for several months with no RF problems, and I generally run a KW on a variety of bands.

The RF problem isn't with the phones themseves, but with stray RF in the shack. Get rid of the RF in the shack and the RF in the phones will go away.

W8CAR Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2007 10:26 Send this review to a friend
the best got better!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I note the other complaints about RFI and can state I have no problems. I owned the original ProSet( 8 years) and purchased the the Quiet Phone last year. I operate contests, DX and all modes. I run the legal limit on 160-10 and can state that I have never had RFI with the phones. The only service needed on my origianl head set is a replacent of the ear muffs and and foam pads- available from Heil. I don't think my station is special and don't understand the problems other have had.

I also operate at a contest station for CQWW and ARRL DX where we use the Quiet Phone and run legal limit in a multi single environment with no RFI problems. I'd buy them again but I haven't worn out the first pair! Now if I could just remember to turn them off and save the batteries!!!
Dan W8CAR

KC0TPL Rating: 2/5 Mar 26, 2007 11:50 Send this review to a friend
Heil made a Recr not Headphones  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have always been impressed with Heil's equipment from the sound perspective but they missed the boat on the "Noise Canceling Feature" with this unit. I used quotes here because itís more of a receiver then anything. Flip on this feature and you get a new monitor circuit for your transmissions.

I called Heil and they had me add capacitors to my power supply and make a choke out of several turns of Coax to try and remove a problem I did not have before I purchased the headset as any of my other mics and/or headphones are fine with my rig. The problem gets progressively worse as you move higher in the bands. It even picks up my mobile phone at less the 500mw. What I found very interesting is that when the unit is completely disconnected from my rig it still has the problem when the "Noise Canceling Feature" is powered on.

My unit is new enough to return to HRO for a refund and I will be doing just that. If it were not for the a Mic and the nice way the reverse works it would be 0/5

W2KN Rating: 2/5 Feb 28, 2007 13:57 Send this review to a friend
Interference defeats them  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have to agree with a previous reviewer. The Quiet phones just don't work for me. When I transmit on many frequencies I get feedback that is too annoying to bear. I spoke to Bob Heil about this and was told I must have RFI in my shack. I am using an ICOM 756PRO and have tried running the phones through a large toroid at Bob's suggestion. Some help but not enough.

Save your money. They aren't any good if you have to keep the quiet feature turned off as I do!!

Steve Silberman

W7VI Rating: 2/5 Feb 27, 2007 12:54 Send this review to a friend
operational FLOP  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have still been doing research on the Heil Pro Set Quiet Phone and have not come up with any real good answers to the feedback through the headphones problem. The head set is a great design and I have two other Heil Mics. I beleive Heil has fallen down on the operational design and preformance on this model and this is too bad. I hope Heil will research some improvements and cures without modifying to transcievers.
I thought this problem was only mine but I have talk to many more who are dissappointed in the Heil Pro Set Quiet Phone. So I recommend researching before buying.

KF4HR Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2007 10:38 Send this review to a friend
Like 'em!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had experience with Bose and Sony noise reduction headsets in the past (both work nice) The Heil Pro Quiet Headset is as good or better. They are increditably comfortable to wear, even for long periods. I ordered mine with the HC-4 mic element because my main purpose for these headsets was to work DX. I've experienced no EMI interference at all, even at near max legal power.

I also own Heil a Goldline mic. It has been my experience that the Heil staff are quick to respond to my question emails and very helpful. Bob Heil himself has even responded directly to my questions. Great products!

KO4NX Rating: 3/5 Feb 19, 2007 21:39 Send this review to a friend
EMI Problem  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I too have an awful EMI problem when QRO with this headset. This is the only item within my station that has an EMI issue.

The noise reduction works well, and so does the Phase Reverse function.