Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu FT-530 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-530
Yaesu FT-530 Reviews: 62 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $260.00
Description: Hand held
More info: http://www.rigpix.com/yaesu/ft530.htm

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-530.

N3WVH Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2007 10:37 Send this review to a friend
I have never considered parting from my FT-503  Time owned: more than 12 months
As a teenager in the late 70's, I always dreamed of owning the perfect HT. I remember being fascinated with the old DIGICOM (which eventually changed to ICOM). There was no digital readout, just thumbwheel tuning. Yaesu came out with the FT-203 series, which I thought was a technilogical breakthrough...all were fascinating, but until this day, no ht compares to the FT-503. In fact, I wonder how much you would pay for a new HT with all of these features in the present tense...I believe that protibility may outweigh features and rf power. Speaking of portability, the FT-203 really isn't as large as many skeptics think. Without any battery attached, the "radio" fits within the palm of your hand. If you have a dc power cable/chargeer, this unit is perfect in the mobile, without the need for the bulk of the battery. If you know anything about ht's within the past 25 years, you can admit that the FT-503 is relatively small in size. I personally like the idea of versatility in battery strength...more power, larger battery pack. These newer units can't come close. I have researched other ht's as I am in the mood to pruchase a mate for my FT-503. I am convinced that I will buy another one for the collection. I am just overwhelmed at the thought of this radio continues to receive such great reviews 13 years later, and still favored by smart HT enthusiasts. The FT-503 is beyond the rank of "Classic"...as coined in a recent Will Smith sci-fi film,"I AM LEGEND" is a true dipiction of one of the greatest HT's ever built!

N3WVH

KB0PTV Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2007 01:07 Send this review to a friend
Best HT ever made!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned 2 of the Yaesu FT-530's for 12 years. Bought them both new. They both work like the day they were purchased, excellent performance on every level. I only wish they were never discontinued!

KD7YHF Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2007 09:54 Send this review to a friend
A Gem Indeed.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is one great radio. I used it for an alarm clock in the morning. I have owned many dual-banders and this is the tops. Reception is great. Itis easy to use. Get the Mic that goes with this radio along with the AA battery pack. These are hard to find, you will have to look for months possibly. Yaesu did a great job with this radio. I can't compare the VX-5R with it other than I think that the FT-530 has better reception in band and with police and fire frequencies. Get a FT-530 while you can, and keep it, don't sell it. You will regret it.

KB5CEJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2006 08:52 Send this review to a friend
A TRUE CLASSIC  Time owned: more than 12 months
Some companies are lucky enough to have one great product, others such as Yaesu have had several memorable rigs throughout the years - the FT-530 is one of those rigs.

I've used the 530 on and off now for about 12 years, selling it when something new caught my eye, but I always came back to buy another. Of course, you can't buy a new one now, but there are several that pop-up forsale from time-to-time at a reasonable price.

I have 4 FT-530's now, and can tell you they are tough, well made, made to last, and made in Japan - not China. Like many other reviewers, I've found that the HT has so many features, many of which I'll probably never use...but I'd rather have that problem than one of "Too Few" features.

At its current used price this makes for a great "First" HT that someone can use in the beginning, and continue to use, as they grow and develope new interests in Amateur Radio!

Points of interest:

1. It's heavier than the typical HT you can purchase now, but for myself, I find that it's "Just right".

2. The display spkr/mic is a great accessory if you can find one, but usually it's sold in a package deal with a 530 (so if you want to buy a 530, look for one that includes this accesory).

3. I use this at home, in the car, and at work and it's likes having a full featured dual band mobile in the palm of my hand.

Woody
KB5CEJ

K1RRC Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2006 21:32 Send this review to a friend
A Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Own a Yaesu FT-530 since March 1995, love the radio, have not had any problems with it until recently.
I have programmed frequency 462.625, a Family Radio Frequency, when I key this frequency the display reads: ERR.
This problem just started, never did it before, would like to know why it does it, and what can I do to correct it.
I gave it a rating of 5, if the rating posted was a 10, i would have given a 10, wonderful radio.

Ron R Cabral
E-mail: K1RRC@aol.com

KE7IOD Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2006 23:45 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This radio is awesome. Durable, reliable, powerfull, full of features, no complaints.
The only problem is my keypad is starting to wear off so I can't read the keypad anymore.
And the BNC adapter broke on me, mostly because I was fairly hard on it.

K8APS Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2006 08:36 Send this review to a friend
Still getting good reviews...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yes, after all these years it is STILL getting great reviews.
It was my first HT (actually, my first transmitter) and I still have it! Others have come and gone.
As mentioned previously, it has a clock (and alarm) that you just don't find in radios these days. It cross band repeats. It mods easily. It does just about everything except make coffee... oh, and it doesn't have alphanumeric memories. That is just a minor inconvenience though. I did have a volume pot get flaky on me, but some touch up solder and cleaner fixed it up. That was the only problem! I wish I could say that for any vehicle I've had for that long!
I'll probably never part with my FT-530... it's just too good a radio to part with.
73!

KC4FOX Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2006 12:59 Send this review to a friend
Figured I should give it at least a decade before reviewing...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought an original 530 from AES- I saw it in the catalogue, lusted after it, scrimped and saved my meager funds (as a fishmonger!) and finally bought the wonderful little gem.
Of course, after only seconds of holding it in my hands, I handed it back to Ben and AES sent it off to Yaesu for the IF fix ("intermod fix").
The radio came back, and...

Okay, okay. I've gotten my use out of the poor thing. It survived my initial learning with good humor. It's been beaten up, dropped (has fallen from a motorcycle whilst riding down the freeway) and has survived, more or less, to this day.

It's got problems, to be sure. I've had to replace the batteries several times, though only once for the lithium backup. I've taken the radio apart to do the freeband mod (didn't everyone?) and then several times thereafter to fix the antenna connector on the PA board.

The radio still wakes me up, every morning: best alarm clock ever.

I've worked satellites, ducting DX (across Lake Erie to Canada), and taken it to Europe to work in Portugal.

It'll be going back to Yaesu for an overhaul. In the meantime, I bought another from e-Bay.

I'd do it again.

I still wish Yaesu would make another like it. The age of the Dual Bander is nearly gone, at least as the manufacturers would have it: with it, the age of the Great Radio; the 530 seems to be a legend from the old days; Yaesu could have done worse (and did- FT-50, VX-7 (early) and so forth!)

N8LB Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2005 10:09 Send this review to a friend
GREAT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two ft530's since the early '90's, one new one highly modified bought used. Have many of the accessories. These radios have been in constant use with no problems. One of the best products I have ever purchased.

KF6LIL Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2005 05:20 Send this review to a friend
I love my 530  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have a FT-530 and they are great for remotes i mean no ther ht except for the icom W-32a has full duplex and features like the 530 has take a look at the kenwood th-79 all plastic and if you drop it numerous of times it`s gone but unlike the plastic ht`s the ft-530 just keeps working for you.. And did you know that these radio`s are collector items i have a friend who has a pristine ft-530 who has rarely used it he keeps it in his drawer..
And these radio`s are still available on ebay if you can get one of course moded and ready to go on frs and murs.