Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | W4RT BOSS 2 Automatic Screwdriver Antenna Controller Help

Reviews Summary for W4RT BOSS 2 Automatic Screwdriver Antenna Controller
W4RT BOSS 2 Automatic Screwdriver Antenna Controller Reviews: 20 Average rating: 3.1/5 MSRP: $149
Description: W4RT Electronics is pleased to announce the new Antenna BOSS II that interfaces directly with ICOM IC-706 series of radios for automatic tuning of motorized antennas from Hi-Q Antennas (with Blackhawk motors), High Sierra Antennas, and Tarheel Antennas, and others that draw less than 700 mA while running. The tuning is activated by pressing the IC-706 Tune button
More info: http://www.w4rt.com/

You can write your own review of the W4RT BOSS 2 Automatic Screwdriver Antenna Controller.

VE7LGF Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2009 14:01 Send this review to a friend
Antenna boss, Little Tarheel II,FT-100d  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am enjoying the W4RT Boss with the Little Tarheel II antenna and FT-100d. Works well 40m-6m and with manual switch to tune 75m. Sure wish I could find W4RT OTT (One touch tune) module or the LDG Y-OTT One-touch tune discontinued to complete the party package for one touch tune all bands...If you see a One touch tune module W4RT or LDG please ve7lgf@rac.ca 73 Glen

K6TTE Rating: 0/5 Oct 8, 2008 12:38 Send this review to a friend
Never did work  Time owned: months
I hever could get this thing to work. Customer support was poor, as well. Don't walk away from this thing, run!

AI4JD Rating: 1/5 Oct 8, 2008 11:24 Send this review to a friend
a big pain  Time owned: more than 12 months
i have owned this thing now for just over three years. The back cover has never stayed in place since it was new. Its a great idea but it does not tune for lowest swr so on voice peaks the swr could spike upward. The unit is also very touchy any little thing and it will bypass what you are wanting to tune. There is no rf in my veichial as everything is bonded and grounded all cabling sheilded. Went back to the old reliable toggle switch antenna tunes every time.

KK8ZZ Rating: 2/5 Jul 26, 2007 16:19 Send this review to a friend
Largely unacceptable  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Everyone's experience and situation varies, and for that reason, readers should take that into account whenever they read a review of ANYTHING on eHam... however.... as a long time HF mobile operator, with experience with both the BOSS II and the Turbo Tuner with both a High Sierra 1800 PRO and a Tarheel Lil' Tarheel and a model 100, I will say that the BOSS II required a lot of fussing, and I never could get it to work right for lowest SWR, and the Turbo Tuner has been absolutely trouble free for over 18 months with my IC-7000 installation in a Toyota Highlander with two rigs and two different antennas (Both Tarheels). The advantage of being able to update the TT firmware easily from your computer as new rigs come on the market REALLY adds to the TT value. The TT was absolutely plug-and-play.

KE7GIM Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2006 09:07 Send this review to a friend
Plug/Play/Simple  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After installing my IC-706MkIIG with a High Sierra 1800/Pro, and verifying 1.5:1 or better across all bands, and verifying that the vehicle is well strapped, that is bed/cab/frame, I was ready for a plug and play install. It was.

The only caution is from 80M to 10M it will find a false null but adjacent band to band always works and tunes to 1.5:1 everytime.

John K7FLG

WA6RF Rating: 3/5 Mar 2, 2006 14:53 Send this review to a friend
Great people!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I waited months for this unit as I run Icom radios. Their customer service was excellent! They called me with help. My installation was very tough, a small hatchback, to get the best results so my issues may have doomed the result and I had to move on to another popular controller. Thanks anyway for the help Mike.
Dick WA6RF

WA1GZY Rating: 0/5 Jan 29, 2006 08:32 Send this review to a friend
Not For IC7000!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Having just upgraded to an ICOM 7000 from the Icom 706MKIIG, I did not anticipate needing a new antenna controller. My W4RT Antenna Boss II should have worked with at least one of my favorite mobile antennas (HI-Q 3XTL screwdriver and/or my Tarheel collection LITTLE TARHEEL and Tarheel "Stubby" Model 75).. right? WRONG! The Antenna Boss II does indeed move all of the aforementioned antennas....RANDOMLY! Oh for a manual up/down switch (W4RT are you listening?). After several unanswered emails to W4RT and being told the IC7000 was too expensive to work on, a friend clued me in to the N2VZ TURBO-TUNER.

KD4UXM Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2006 12:18 Send this review to a friend
I'm Satisfied!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well Fellows, it seems too many of "us" live in a plug and play world. I personally just can't see this with ham radio, especially with an H.F. mobile set-up... Gee all different kinds of combos here.IE: different antennas, radios, mounts, etc... But my opinion of the Antenna Boss is..#1 READ THE INSTRUCTIONS FIRST... yea, I know it's hard to do.. But you'll probably save Barry and Ralph a lot of headaches..This is a great product, but some experimentation may be in order.. Just like anything else in an H.F. mobile enviroment..'cause nobody's got it plug and play yet! Super customer service.. Thanks Barry and Ralph and 73..Buddy KD4UXM.

N9IJ Rating: 1/5 Dec 26, 2005 14:07 Send this review to a friend
Disappointed  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought my Boss II months ago for use with the Hi-Q 4/160 and IC-706Mk2g. Had immediate issues including the chincy plastic enclosure, loose panel, SO-239's that turn with the PL-259, and inability to reliably discern a good match.

I did find Barry and crew pleasant to work woith though email was the necessary means of communications.

They replaced the firmware and that helped some, ...for a while. They whole system was moved to a new truck and worked well for several months then unit became unusable, stopping on anything BUT the selected frequency of choice.

I'm told the addition of inductors and by-pass caps in the pig-tail feeding the rig will help but I'm really tired of experimenting with it.

I'm seriously considering a turns counter type of controller instead.

K6TTE Rating: 1/5 Oct 9, 2005 10:09 Send this review to a friend
Customer Service?  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm unhappy that I didn't share in the other reviewer's positive customer service experiences. My emails went unanswered and there seems to be no phone number listed on their website.

The Antenna Boss II unit seems to not sense when the antenna is in tune and just passes the low SWR point by and keeps searching until it times out. I have tried all of the recommendations in their literature and have looked on the website for updates to this information.

I choose to vote with my feet (and wallet) and will not be doing business again with companies that ignore their customers after sale. Sadly, W4RT falls into this category.

I would buy a Turbo Tuner next time...

-- Dale, K6TTE