Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | W4RT BOSS 2 Automatic Screwdriver Antenna Controller Help

Reviews Summary for W4RT BOSS 2 Automatic Screwdriver Antenna Controller
W4RT BOSS 2 Automatic Screwdriver Antenna Controller Reviews: 20 Average rating: 3.1/5 MSRP: $149
Description: W4RT Electronics is pleased to announce the new Antenna BOSS II that interfaces directly with ICOM IC-706 series of radios for automatic tuning of motorized antennas from Hi-Q Antennas (with Blackhawk motors), High Sierra Antennas, and Tarheel Antennas, and others that draw less than 700 mA while running. The tuning is activated by pressing the IC-706 Tune button
More info: http://www.w4rt.com/

You can write your own review of the W4RT BOSS 2 Automatic Screwdriver Antenna Controller.

VA3BJD Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2005 07:13 Send this review to a friend
Works great, good customer service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am using the Boss II with a 706 and a Little Tarheel. Didn't work when I first tried it. I was doing something wrong(leads reversed) and the antenna had an unusually low current draw.

Couple of e-mails and a phone call from Barry W4RT fixed it up. The previous reviews that complained about poor customer service kind of worried me. But I saw none of that. Barry answered all e-mails no matter how stupid I sounded. He phoned me long distance on his dime. Most of the e-mail communication was on the weekend also.

I am very happy with this product.

Mobile installations are sometimes tricky and it was nice to be able to count on prompt patient tech support.

W9PMZ Rating: 4/5 Aug 16, 2005 14:52 Send this review to a friend
Integrated Accessory  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'd really like to give it a 4.75, but can't give it a 5 since the back lid won't stay on.

This is a great product that integrates a Tarheel Model 200 Antenna and an ICOM 706MKIIG transceiver.

So far no problems and the setup tunes 10M - 75M with no problems.

K0RFH Rating: 4/5 Jul 22, 2005 20:07 Send this review to a friend
Quality a little weak  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this from AES along with the High Sierra Sidekick. While the box does work, the fit and finish leaves a lot to be desired. The back panel has no way of staying on and one of the connectors for the db9 connector is missing. The unit does perform as designed, but it is irritating to not get a good looking and correctly fitting unit for the money.

WA1GZY Rating: 4/5 Jul 10, 2005 19:52 Send this review to a friend
Finally it Works!  Time owned: months
Sent unit back three times as it did not work with the Icom 706MKIIG and the Little Tarheel (40 - 6 meter model). The third time was a success with a new EPROM installed and dipswitch settings as follows: 1on 2off 3on 4off 5on 6off 7off 8off
These are different settings from the instruction manual. By the way, the instruction manual default settings work fine with a Hi Q 3 XTL (my alternate mobile antenna). Only other observation is that sometimes the unit hits top or bottom and doesn't automatically reverse direction. The solution is to stop the tuning (by pushing the Icom tune control button) and re-starting the tune control. As to customer service, I received prompt attention from WB0W and W4RT. Kudos to you and I can attest that they stand by their product.

W5TZ Rating: 1/5 Jul 6, 2005 04:33 Send this review to a friend
POOR DESIGN  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This controller is not ready for market and reminds me of a garage project. The i/o rf connectors are not tight, the interface cable has way too many dongles using huge D-9 hang off connectors and hardware that weighs more than the enclosure. The only way to communicate with the manufacturer is to send fax's. This controller could not determine the motor direction from the applied frequency change. I returned all three for credit.

K4IA Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2005 05:25 Send this review to a friend
Mine is FB  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use the Antenna Boss for Yaesu and it works great with a Tarheel and FT100D.

Check out the reviews of this unit under "W4RT BOSS 2 ..." Maybe you got a defective unit. Other folks have had good luck with both the unit and customer support.

KP4ZW Rating: 0/5 May 26, 2005 05:05 Send this review to a friend
It does not work!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It does not work!!!! Bough it after getting tired of manually tuning the antenna coil on my mobile rig. Installation is easy, but after installation the antenna boss could not find a match in any band. When activated it starts searching for a good SWR but it sometimes it trips the antenna motor early or does not sends a signal to the antenna motor at all not finding a match. There is no customer service phone number listed for w4rt, only fax or e-mail so forget about contacting them for any questions. I sent an e-mail, even faxed them but I am still waiting for an answer. If the item is returned they even charge you a fee. For an expensive piece of equipment like this one I would definitively expect more for my money.

WB6QAY Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2005 09:52 Send this review to a friend
Exceptional Support from W4RT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I recently purchased a W4RT BOSS 2 Controller to use with my Little Tarheel and Icom 706 on my Jeep. The unit was simple to hook up, but I had quite a few problems getting it to work consistently on all bands. Barry provided exceptional support in working through my installation issues including helping me identify a common mode current problem and fixing that. To make a long story short, the unit works great, and I can't stress enough how helpful Barry has been. This company is an A+ to do business with.

W4EA Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2005 13:04 Send this review to a friend
Good Product - Great Service  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Purchased this accessory to use with my N9JMX Predator screwdriver antenna. It works great, just as advertised. It's easy to setup and compact enough to fit just about anywhere. With my IC-706 Tune control I can touch it and let the Boss II do its thing.

The main praise is however for the service received. Barry was very helpful with some questions I submitted, went above and beyond, providing suggestions. I would recommend them to all my friends.

K5WLR Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2005 17:38 Send this review to a friend
Works great! Excellent folks to deal with!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased the W4RT Boss 2 to use with my Little Tarheel II antenna and the Ic-706 mkIIG in my new van. Had an issue with the first one. Sent the company an email and received a phone call that evening. Discussed the problem and quickly arranged to obtain an new unit and send back the original one. The new unit arrived in 3 days (over the weekend) and it worked out of the box. Had a slight problem with the reversing at the end of the coil, so I sent another email, got another phone call, threw one of the dipswitches and it now works like a champ!

Fellow hams: This is the kind of company we need to support. This kind of personal service and sticking with the customer until the product is working is a rare thing these days. Would buy this product again without hesitation. Too bad I cannot give them a 10 rating! Thanks for your help, Barry! It is nice to know that the ham spirit is alive and well at W4RT!