Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Astron RS-7A Help

Reviews Summary for Astron RS-7A
Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $81.95
Description: Power supply

You can write your own review of the Astron RS-7A.

WB0FDJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2012 10:16 Send this review to a friend
Good supply  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got this to power my IC-703 plus. Plugged it in, turned it on and it's worked since without a hitch. No hash that I can find. Nothing fancy but does the job. For lower current needs it's a keeper.

W7MAG Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2011 08:29 Send this review to a friend
It just works.  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's one of those items in the shack I never think about because I don't have to. This thing has been in light duty operation for the past 10 years or so.

But then again, that's been my experience with all my Astron power supplies.

KS4HY Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2008 17:38 Send this review to a friend
I can't say enough good things about the Astron RS-7a  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just can't say enough good things about the Astron RS-7a power supply. I bought mine used back in either 1984 or 1985. It has seen countless hours of use, and it has never failed. The protection circuit trips so fast that an external fuse in the B+ wire never gets a chance to blow.

If this one ever fails I will surely fix it. If it could not be fixed I would buy another one in a heartbeat. I had two Radio Shack power supplies prior to owning the RS-7a, and those power supplies are not even in the same league as the Astron RS-7a. You could not ask for a better power supply, and I could not be happier with my 20+ year old purchase.

NA0AA Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2007 22:49 Send this review to a friend
Excellent supply  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I really don't know how to evaluate something that works so well. Mine is used as an idle-current power supply for the shack, providing radio idle current plus a bit to keep the 100 amp hour AGM battery topped off. The battery then makes up the difference when I transmit. If I feel long winded, then the bigger supply comes on - maybe once a month or so. Since it is diode isolated, I appreciate being able to adjust the voltage to deliver a true 13.8 volts at the battery terminal.

I currently have three Astron PS, two conventional and one switching. No complaints.

N4GG Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2007 10:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine new over 20 years ago and have had it on more than 50% of the time since. Never fails, never does anything except churn out the power. Numerous shorts and other abuse have not bothered it at all. I'd buy another in a second if this one ever goes - which it shows no sign of doing.

KN0V Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2007 19:39 Send this review to a friend
No fail power supply ...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the RS7-A power supply along with an Azden PS-2000 2M radio over 10 years ago. The power supply has never failed once during this period of time. It has powered the 2M radio and the MFJ ARB-701. I never turn it off and it has been subject to a few home power outages.

W5AOX Rating: 1/5 Feb 10, 2007 09:25 Send this review to a friend
Fails Often  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought my rs-7a used at a hamfest, and it was then in working condition. Age is a factor, but it EATS 723's when I try to leave it on continuously. It will not tolerate a continuous load of a mere amp or so. Evidently designed only for intermittent use. The output pass transistor never fails but the 723 does. My homebrew regulated supply does not suffer this ailment.....

K3NG Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2006 20:34 Send this review to a friend
Great supply  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own three of these. One blew the 723 chip a couple years ago; it was easy to troubleshoot and repair. The design of these supplies is rather simple and a joy to work on.

K4IDX Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2005 18:29 Send this review to a friend
Great PS  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this little power supply for a few years now and use it to power various items around the shack. Previous review shares the details on the rearend, but I am very pleased with the overall build and power switch. Would definitely buy another one. No noise or interference.

KC5ZRQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2005 12:58 Send this review to a friend
Good performer and a good econical choice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased one new at Hamcom in Arlington for $30. I'm guessing that is about 1/2 price of retail. It is heavy for a 5 amp power supply so if you buy one online, check the shipping price first. The "7", in RS-7A, refers to the amperage it can supply for a short period of time. I am using this with an APRS station with a transceiver operating at the low or middle power range. I don't plan to use the radio at the high (50 watts) power level. The power leads on the back are the banana plug type. There is also an exposed screw for grounding. The fuse is built into the AC plug receptacle, which uses a standard power cable, like you would find on a personal computer. The only part I didn't like was the power switch, which seemed flimsy compared to the rest of the construction. If you plan to operate a full power FM transceiver, I would recommend you upgrade to a 12 to 15 amp power supply. If you don't mind running at lower power levels, then the RS-7A is a good performer, and even at retail price, can be an good economical choice.