Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond CR8900A Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond CR8900A
Diamond CR8900A Reviews: 14 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $110
Description: A 10m/6m/2m/70cm FM Quad Band antenna. Specifically designed to work with the Yeasu Model FT8900R radio. This antenna can handle up to 60 watts FM.

This antenna is approximately 50 inches (1.26m) high and weighs 18 ounces (490g). The antenna is silver and black. There are two center coils and a base coil. The connector type is UHF (for PO mount). This antenna is not recommended for a magnet mount. Includes an Allen wrench for tuning.
More info: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantm/2123.html

You can write your own review of the Diamond CR8900A.

K6QT Rating: 4/5 Mar 8, 2017 02:41 Send this review to a friend
Fairly good antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Referring to the previous comment, there are some set screws at the bottom of the antenna for 6 M. They reommend you set those first, then do 10m. What I can't figure out is the set screw for 10. The hole is twice as big as the allen wrench they give you. Now do any of you have any ideas?

AD5HD Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2015 17:59 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this to work with a new FT-8900, mounted with a K400C and tuned it up with a CIA-HF for 10m/6m and a TH-G71A/SX40C for 2m/70cm. Got excellent VSWR across all four bands. Performance seems quite good for a trunk lip mounted mobile, no complaints. Seems very solid, not seeing how it could come apart at the matching coil as it appears to be a solid metal piece up to where the bottom whip (large diameter rod stock) attaches with dual setscrews. The Diamond and HRO sites show it as a tilt-over model but it isn't so it has to be removed to get the car in the garage. Instructions are clear and easy to follow, the antenna is easy to tune but can get tedious going back and forth, worth it though.

NS5F Rating: 1/5 Apr 23, 2014 07:24 Send this review to a friend
Awful durability, VSWR as advertised   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had owned several for use with my Yaesu 8900. While the antenna has acceptable VSWR on all the supported bands the durability is absolutely AWFUL.
Both antennas suffered the same defect and came apart at the base of the loading coil. The ONLY reason I did not rate this antenna a ZERO was it did perform as advertised with the VSWR. Hopefully a company will get serious about quality control and offer a product that is durable enough for an average commuter.

VK3FMJA Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2014 18:09 Send this review to a friend
GREAT 4 BAND ANTENNA   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had this Antenna for the last couple months. Not only a GOOD looking antenna but it has also a SUPERIOR PERFORMANCE. I have used Diamond K-400 for mounting bracket to have a good ground for the 10m to work. This antenna looks good specially on a 4X4 but it attracts trouble. The price is abit expensive but its worth buying for. I recommend this antenna for camping or any outdoor activities. CR8900 with matching Yaesu 8900R is a MASTERPIECE.

73....

G0LGB Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2013 06:31 Send this review to a friend
Good 4 band Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
Very impressed with my 8900, just make sure you have a good metal to metal contacts and avoid mag-mounts as the capacitance at 6 and 10 will throw out the swr, and its too big to use safely in a mag anyway and you will get vastly superior performance from good metal to metal contacts.

I've had mine for over a year with no issues at all, my analyser shows it tunes at or below 1.5:1 on all bands with excellent bandwidth, note it only needs very slight adjustment for 10m.

I use mine with a Diamond hatch back mount, no additional earth or ground plane and it tunes and works very well indeed.

It's nicely made using good quality connectors and stainless fittings.

Not a cheap antenna new but if you see one used at a rally I'd highly recommend you buy it.

M6AOC Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2013 11:50 Send this review to a friend
Performs Well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this antenna with my FT8900 a few weeks ago and although it is rather tall I have been very happy with its performance. I have it mounted using a K415 and this I am happy with. No issues with SWR. It is too early to say to much on this antenna at this present time. I will give an update later in the year.

BRANDRE Rating: 4/5 Apr 11, 2012 07:48 Send this review to a friend
A good quad bander  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this when another quad bander I had developed an early life failure. (This is not the place to bash it or even mention it.)

The CR8900A is a good quad band, no complaints, and I was able to get very good SWR's on 70/2/6 and a decent on 10 which very rarely use.

I have it on a K400 Mount, was on a Saturn Vue - the mount would only fit on the read deck and then very low but it performed well. I am now on a Ford Escape where it can mount very high and it does work better there. I have places in my regular route that I lost certain repeaters in the Vue that are there in the Escape with the higher mount. I also have a dual band 70/2 on the other side of the back deck which is the preferred antenna for really tough 70/2 operation - but it is not fair to compare a really great 2 band to any quad band. I work search and rescue and Emmcomm, nearly all on 70/2 so I need the backup antenna. I have run this on a tri-mag on the roof of the Vue with mixed results, probably because of the lack of proper grounding at the antenna. I do not recommend this.

WG9U Rating: 4/5 Apr 3, 2012 09:34 Send this review to a friend
Very Adequate  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I read the various reviews here and decided to try the antenna due to the mixed responses. When ordering, I also purchased a KS-400 mount for my mobile installation.

There are couple of items that need to be noted prior to listing my findings. First, I always install 1/2" silver plated copper mesh grounding straps in my mobile installations, and in this case it is quite critical for the 6m and 10m bands. While the screws and plate for the KS-400 did a fine job, the additional grounding strap definitely helped on the afore mentioned bands.

Secondly, it was necessary to trim the whip portion of the antenna to bring the VSWR into acceptable tolerances on the 10meter band.

The installation was simple and made even simpler using the KS-400 mount and low loss coax that accompanied it. I actually mounted this in the center of the trunk on a VW Jetta TDI, instead of to the side. Using an MFJ-269 I quickly and easily tuned 6m i.e 52.5 MHz (published range 51m-54m) to a 1.5 VSWR. Respectively, 2m and 70cm findings were below the published typical VSWR. 10m was a bit of a small issue as I was only able to achieve 1.8 VSWR at 29.6 MHz with the whip fully down in my configuration. After trimming the small whip approx. 3/16" of an inch (which the instructions advise you not to do), I was able to achieve 1.1 VSWR at 29.6, which was also below published VSWR for 10m.

I immediately took my FT-8900 and the new installation on a 350 mile road trip the next day and was very pleased with the overall performance of the antenna. 2m & 70cm radio reports were excellent. I was unable to test transmission quality on 6m due to a lack of repeaters in the area and/or discernible activity on the band. I did initiate a QSO on a 10m repeater and the antenna seemed to work fine from the signal report I received.

Obviously, a quad band antenna is not going to perform as well as a single band counterpart; however, I find this one to be very acceptable for the task at hand.

I would rate the CR8900A as excellent for 2m & 70cm, good on 10m, and unrated/untested on 6m. Overall I am pleased with the antenna, although the installation is only several weeks old. It will be interesting to see how the installation holds up over time.

MW0LEW Rating: 4/5 Oct 15, 2010 02:00 Send this review to a friend
MW0LEW  Time owned: more than 12 months
I HAVE USED THE CR8900 WITH MY FT8900 2 OR MORE YEARS,ALWAYS USED WITH TRIPLE MAG MOUNT AS IT IS TOP HEAVY, ON MINE I FOUND THE LOWER WHIP COULD BE 1 INCH LONGER TO TUNE 6 METERS BETTER ,I FIND LESS FLUTTER ON VHF/UHF THAN SOME OTHER WHIP TYPES WHEN CAR IS MOVING , GOOD AERIAL (EXCEPT FOR PRICE)

MD0MAN Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2009 08:54 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna, no problems at all.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had this antenna for 4 years now, originally on roof rack of Ford Escort Estate, now on front driver side of Vauxhall Frontera.

If it is mounted correctly with a good ground connection, as the instructions say - the only part of the antenna that needs tuning is the 10m stub, I had to snip about 1/2" off to resonate it when on the Escort.

Works very well on 2m / 70cms, I'm yet to be mobile when there's an opening on 6m, but over the past few years have worked numerous European stations from the Isle of Man on 10m.

I couldn't have asked for a better multi-band antenna.

Matty