Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond CR8900A Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond CR8900A
Diamond CR8900A Reviews: 14 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $110
Description: A 10m/6m/2m/70cm FM Quad Band antenna. Specifically designed to work with the Yeasu Model FT8900R radio. This antenna can handle up to 60 watts FM.

This antenna is approximately 50 inches (1.26m) high and weighs 18 ounces (490g). The antenna is silver and black. There are two center coils and a base coil. The connector type is UHF (for PO mount). This antenna is not recommended for a magnet mount. Includes an Allen wrench for tuning.
More info: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantm/2123.html

You can write your own review of the Diamond CR8900A.

PE1OID Rating: 1/5 Sep 2, 2009 09:22 Send this review to a friend
swr and cr8900  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hello,
i also bought a cr8900 but i'm not so hapy with it ,
the swr on all bands are hihger 1:3,5
it's a pitty that diamond din'd wrote the manual not in englisch , unfortunaly i cant read japanese :-)
but i can't get the swr in the right direction
so i think i will put it a side and wait for a better one for 10/6/2/70 .

is there somone woh got it working on all bands?..

Greetings from holland
pe1oid Jan

KB3CS Rating: 4/5 Feb 27, 2008 16:11 Send this review to a friend
works fine on my vehicle  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a 5-inch dia. mag mount placed just off-center in the middle of my Subaru's roof rack. Off-center because of a reinforcing rib running down the center of the roof.

The worst-case VSWR is 2.5:1 at the low end of 6m (below the repeater part of the band). The 10m VSWR is nearly 1.5:1 across the repeater portion of the band and better than 1.8:1 except the CW portion.

The 10m tuning is sensitive to the length of the stinger at the top even though the resonance is broad. One quarter inch more or less moves the curve significantly but once you find the right spot - lock it down.

Parked at the top of a public garage, this set up works very well. Repeaters 30 miles away are S-9+. If you want to duplicate my set up, the mag mount is an MFJ-335BM (NMO) with an Opek NMO-8 NMO to UHF-F adapter.

NA0AA Rating: 3/5 Oct 25, 2007 22:53 Send this review to a friend
Useful compromise  Time owned: months
I don't find this antenna to be a super VHF/UHF performer, although once I installed matching counterpoises for 6 and 10, I managed to get an acceptable match and all 4 bands work w/in specifications.

I have mine roof rack mounted and I'll give it credit for being reasonably robust - mine gets whacked on tree branches on a regular basis and only the very tiny stinger has been deflected in the least.

I'm going to keep mine for the forseeable future - I like a single feedline option in my mobile.

I would suggest that this antenna is VERY dependent on proper location - the manufactur says trunk lid and I hope it does not need as much work as I had to put into gettting a match.

2E0KPX Rating: 3/5 Jul 13, 2007 22:58 Send this review to a friend
SWR  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've only had the CR-8900A up and running for a few hours now in conjunction with the CR-8900R and it listens very well. Am I correct in reading that this antenna requires NO extra tuning except only on 10m?
I ask this question as there are allan wrench screws the whole lenght of the antenna and wondered if these were tuning points!! I've never been convinced with antenna's (multiband) that are pre-tuned and require no extra tunning. The only downside to this antenna is the non-recommendation of a magnet mount.
I don't have a choice and have to use one as I'm not prepared to ruin the paint work nor drill holes in the body of my car to obtain a lower SWR.

Anyone have any ideas?