Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | MFJ-1432 RuffRider Hyper Gain 144/440 MHz Mobile Antenna 62" Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1432 RuffRider Hyper Gain 144/440 MHz Mobile Antenna 62"
MFJ-1432 RuffRider Hyper Gain 144/440 MHz Mobile Antenna 62 Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $69.95
Description: 62 1/2 mobile antenna with 5 dB gain on 7/8 Wave 2 Meters, 5/8 Wave, 7.6 dB gain on 440 MHz. Handles 150 Watts
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1432

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1432 RuffRider Hyper Gain 144/440 MHz Mobile Antenna 62".

VA3DBD Rating: 3/5 Feb 9, 2013 21:37 Send this review to a friend
Good, but has a flaw  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the MFJ-1432 and a MFJ-336S mount in the summer of 2010, and they have been on three three vehicles, a car, a mini van, and a small SUV.

I was instantly impressed with the performance of the antenna. Even just using my handheld at 5w, I have been able to hit repeaters 40+ miles away through urban sprawl, and been told that my signal was strong and clear, with no signs of my being mobile.

Like other people I have had issues with the fold-over feature. I have had the antenna fold it self over a number of times. When it was new it took speeds between 70 - 75 mph, but now it seems to be happening at just 60 - 65 mph.

Last fall it also started to develop a wobbling clunk sound, that has progressively become worse over the winter. I have been able to trace it down to the fold-over point and it appears that the spring is no longer able to keep the mast held tight. I have contacted MFJ twice about a way to fix this, but have not received any response.

Overall - This is a great performing antenna, however the fold-over feature is a serious weakness.

MCDO320 Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2009 20:03 Send this review to a friend
A very funtional Dual bander!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the MFJ-1432 to replace a Motorola Spectrum I had on the roof of my F-150! The gain is outstanding and me being in a rural area, I can hit repeaters as far as 50+ miles. I check in to the Area nets in Hattiesburg,MS (53 miles away) and Meridian, MS (48 miles away) while sitting in my yard! I have used the fold- over feature several times and have not noticed the problem's other owners have. Overall, for the price and gain you can't ask for anything better!
73's
Albert- KF5CQJ

AI4HO Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2009 18:51 Send this review to a friend
Still Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna takes a beating and comes back for more. I've had this antenna for almost 5 years, hard to believe, but Sept. it will be 5 years. This antenna has seen its share of use and abuse, just took it off the 02 Sport Trac in Jan. to put it on my new 09 Ford Ranger. About the only thing I can fault on this antenna is the base, its one of those hinged fold over type bases. Over time, use, or whatever, I've found that at 75mph the antenna has a tendency to fold over without any help from myself.

I guess its time to clean it up, see if somehow I can't tighten up the fold over hinge and keep it and get the radial kit to make it a base/mobile antenna, put it to one side and have it ready for hurricane season this year. Still a great antenna, one that will stay with me for another 5 years.

73 de Mark
W3LZK
Formerly AI4HO

K9VKC Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2008 07:01 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great Antenna, receive is outstanding the gain this antenna provides lets me access repeaters way beyond normal operating range, audio feedback from other stations is "wow you are LOUD and clear and you are MOBILE?" I use the MFJ Goliath Tri mag mount. Great product good price.

AA5CH Rating: 2/5 Apr 23, 2005 21:05 Send this review to a friend
Gone with the wind...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It was a blustery day in the hundred acre wood today and I was in a bit more of a rush than usual...free hamburgers and hot dogs at the motorcycle dealership, you see...

I was running 75-80 mph and the wind was gusting to 20 mph... as I glanced in the rear view I saw my roof mounted RuffRider Hyper Gain antenna bounce off the tool box and into the bed of my truck. The antenna survived the ordeal but the solder joint in the magnetic base broke under the strain.

This antenna is just too heavy for a single, heavy duty magnetic mount at highway speeds, especially in wind gusts. If you do manage to get it secured sufficiently, you will still probably have to "loctite" the fold over hinge.

A shorter, lighter antenna with a couple less dB gain is far superior to a high gain antenna that has folded over horizontal or is laying broken in the back of your truck or the highway, no?

Brad
AA5CH

W9YO Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2005 18:11 Send this review to a friend
Performs & the price is right  Time owned: more than 12 months
I originally had a Diamond SG7900A with a Diamond K600M mount. My son always has run the MFJ1432 and MFJ-345 mount. After thieves stole both the Diamond & MFJ antennas we replaced them only with MFJ1432's. (The SG7900A was almost $140) This was well over three years ago. I personally switch between the MFJ-345 & Diamond K600 mounts but always use the same MFJ1432. Neither has failed me in the least. The adverse weather conditions here in the Chicagoland area also give an antenna a real workout. Our antennas are mounted on the rear deck of a station wagon & the other on a trunk lip of a sedan. Antennas are straight as arrows. I would definitely purchase this antenna again. Just wish there was a security feature to prevent folks from removing them. UHF/VHF mobile to mobile is great even at 10W and there's never a dropped QSO. A solid product.

73, Bill

KI4CRA Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2005 17:46 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased my MFJ-1432 at a hamfest last Sept. I mounted mine on my 02 Ford Explorer Sport Trac, on a tri mag mount. I have found it is comparable to the HyGain antenna. I've been able to kick repeaters from over 40 miles away. I've been complimented on my audio and have receive great signal reports. I would have no problem purchasing another MFJ-1432. Absolutely a winner for me. I have had several mobile antennas the last being the Diamond HV-7A, which is an outstanding antenna, but for strictly V/U work it can't be beat.
Mark