Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Elecraft T1 Miniature ATU for all Low-Power Transceivers Help

Reviews Summary for Elecraft T1 Miniature ATU for all Low-Power Transceivers
Elecraft T1 Miniature ATU for all Low-Power Transceivers Reviews: 47 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $135
Description: This may be the world's smallest high-performance, stand-alone ATU. At just
4.4 x 2.5 x 0.9 inches, and weighing only 5 oz., it's about one-fourth the size
and weight of other compact automatic antenna tuners.

The T1 has 7 inductors and 7 capacitors to provide a wide tuning range. It
can be used with any 0.5 to 20-watt transceiver or transmitter, and can be
tuned in any mode, even SSB voice. Many L-C settings are saved in the unit's
EEPROM for quick re-tune (typically 1 to 2 seconds).

An internal 9-V battery powers the unit, and battery life is excellent thanks to
the use of latching relays and auto power-off after each use. There's zero
power consumed except when actually tuning.

There's a "smart" adapter cable available for the Yaesu FT-817. This
convenient accessory allows the T1 ATU to track band changes made at the
transceiver, recalling per-band L-C settings without the need to transmit.
More info: http://www.elecraft.com

You can write your own review of the Elecraft T1 Miniature ATU for all Low-Power Transceivers.

HB9PJT Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2014 03:24 Send this review to a friend
Very good Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
This tuner is very fine. It has a good tuning range and tunes very reliable. It is supersmall. A jewel of electronic device. Battery consumption is very low. I can't remember when I changed the battery last time.

The last reviewer SM0RWO seems to me not to be an experienced ham because he knocks a very good product for a defect in his antenna wiring or antenna or maybe his T1 is not ok.

73 Peter - HB9PJT

WB3GCK Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2014 18:59 Send this review to a friend
Matches Just About Anything  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use the Elecraft T1 with my portable QRP set up. It's small, light and I haven't come across anything that it won't match. I was leary, at first, about laying out the money for this thing but now I'm glad I did.

SM0RWO Rating: 0/5 Jul 12, 2014 02:29 Send this review to a friend
Simply not good enough  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got this premade and tested, wanted to be sure it worked. And it did, sometimes. I got the 4:1 balun and the FT817 remote cable too, really wanted this to work out. When I first got it the atu acted somewhat strange and just did not tune. Replaced the battery but nothing worked. So I left it for a while and when I came back it actually worked, strange. It did work fine for a while but now it's back to doing nothing. It's just not reliable. As a remote atu it should be made for outdoor use also, can't use it in bad weather now. Must use the 4:1 balun next to the antenna to make it radiate at all on low frequencies. The 4:1 balun works but finding a case for it is almost impossible. A balun for indoor use, really elecraft?? The extra tuning cable should be made to work through the coax.. In all it's an interesting experiment but a crap product. Stay far away.

K2GK Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2014 15:40 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hold the button.
Send a carrier.
let go and let it tune.
Enjoy your radio usage made easy.
Thanks Elecraft!

K4SHQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2013 19:29 Send this review to a friend
Excellent kit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is an excellent ATU and very good as a kit. Anyone contemplating buying the kit, should be good at reading and following directions. Failing that you need to be good at desoldering. I fall into the later category. The direction are very good but must be followed exactly. I had to go back and rewind the sampler transformer cores. You can buy the transformers/inductors factory assembled from Elecraft, but with a little care and reading the directions they can be successfully hand wound.

Either factory or home assembled the end result is very good little ATU and should be suitable for QRP or mobile use.

KS1U Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2013 17:43 Send this review to a friend
Another winner for Elecraft  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The T1 is a well designed easy to assemble kit, which does exactly what it's supposed to. I had just finished building my T1 about 1 AM on a Friday and was about 90% done with a homebrew 30 xcvr and had to try them out together. I didn't have an antenna for 30, but did have an aluminum extension ladder up against my TV antenna tower, which I had been working on. With an alligator clip on the ladder, one on a ground rod and a few on the xcvr, I was able to get a better than 1.5 to 1 SWR on the ladder and worked TX and NC on 20 watts from coastal CT.
I really like the fact the T1 takes up so little space at the operating position and the 20 watt rating is perfect for most of my home-brew projects. I'd really like to see Elecraft offer a 100 watt version of this tuner so I could use it with all my radios. Whether you buy it assembled or build it yourself it will be money well spent. When building Elecraft products it's easy to see how much thought has gone into each item. It was another fun build and another product I'll get a lot of use out of.

KD8IGK Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2013 07:17 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Design   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got one of these little tuners. In my testing with a Soft Rock RXTX transceiver. It tuned up to all my antennas and gave me a 1.1 SWR on each antenna. My plan is to use this in the field for QRP operations and this looks like a very light and small tuner that will work well. It is very simple to use.

KB1GMX Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2012 08:21 Send this review to a friend
it does what I want  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I built mine as a kit and it went together smoothly per the manual. Very nice kit.

As an antenna tuner its very good, I think it will tune a nail on 80m... or at least try. That said I've tried it with a bunch of practical antennas and random wires and it tuned them. The acid test was a near half wave wire(30ft a few feet short) for 20m and that tunes well and worked very well with a 16 foot counterpoise.

Currently using this with a KNQ7A (40m 10W) radio with excellent results.

Conclusions:
Small, portable, excellent battery life, and rugged.

Allison

KC9TNH Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2011 06:41 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding portable/QRP solution  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Rig: FT-817ND (both CW & SSB)
Setup: When portable, Craig's $-Store Special (thrown speaker wire w/couple of counterpoises); at home QTH, 80m OCF dipole.

I think this tuner could find a match on a coat hanger or piece of rebar. It is quick, gives reasonable other data via the LEDs if you can learn to read some slo-Morse. Best of the small autotuners.

Now have a THP 45w amp for the 817 when at home, but dialed back on the 817 as I don't want to hurt the precious T1. When a more robust tuner (rated at >20w) comes to hand for home use the T1 will go permanently in the field-bag. I don't hang out on one band all the time, but jump around and an auto-tuner is the ticket. LDG probably has a couple of 100w-rated tuners that will act like this T1, but I too wish the Elecraft would make an assembled 100-125w version of this T1 - just clone it, but a little bigger.

A nice gent sold me this one as he retired from working portable stuff; it's still in great shape and no one is getting their hands on it.

KC9ECI Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2011 15:15 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I really like this little tuner! I purchased it to use with my Flex 1500. If I had any complaint about it, it would be that it doesn't interface with enough rigs like it does the FT-817. I also like the suggestion of a clear case. That would look cool. I was recently working a RTTY contest when my autotuner from another company failed. I dialed the power on my Icom 706 back to 20W, put the T1 in line and carried on and worked a lot of DX. I wish Elecraft would make a line of tuners.