Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Elecraft T1 Miniature ATU for all Low-Power Transceivers Help

Reviews Summary for Elecraft T1 Miniature ATU for all Low-Power Transceivers
Elecraft T1 Miniature ATU for all Low-Power Transceivers Reviews: 53 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $135
Description: This may be the world's smallest high-performance, stand-alone ATU. At just
4.4 x 2.5 x 0.9 inches, and weighing only 5 oz., it's about one-fourth the size
and weight of other compact automatic antenna tuners.

The T1 has 7 inductors and 7 capacitors to provide a wide tuning range. It
can be used with any 0.5 to 20-watt transceiver or transmitter, and can be
tuned in any mode, even SSB voice. Many L-C settings are saved in the unit's
EEPROM for quick re-tune (typically 1 to 2 seconds).

An internal 9-V battery powers the unit, and battery life is excellent thanks to
the use of latching relays and auto power-off after each use. There's zero
power consumed except when actually tuning.

There's a "smart" adapter cable available for the Yaesu FT-817. This
convenient accessory allows the T1 ATU to track band changes made at the
transceiver, recalling per-band L-C settings without the need to transmit.
More info: http://www.elecraft.com

You can write your own review of the Elecraft T1 Miniature ATU for all Low-Power Transceivers.

W9ZIM Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2017 22:18 Send this review to a friend
Classic Elecraft  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just finished assembling the Elecraft T1 and now have a great little automatic antenna tuner that's small enough to fit in my pocket. Literally! It's only slightly bigger than a pack of playing cards.

This is a very fun kit to build and a little challenging because the parts are small, the circuit boards are densely packed, and the solder pads are very close together, so I wouldn't recommend it for the first-time builder. You need a fine-tipped soldering iron, a steady hand, and good soldering technique to be successful. It can be purchased already assembled for about $20 more, but where's the fun in that?

Elecraft is known for their excellent construction manuals, and this, of course, is no exception. The explanations are simple and clear and illustrated when appropriate, though I did notice a couple of minor errors. The instructions for winding the torroids tell you to wind one torroid in the opposite direction from the rest, but the picture in the manual and the legend on the circuit board indicate that you should wind it the same as the others. Later in the manual, a resistance check returned a value slightly different from what was described, but I'm not sure if that's an error in the instructions or in my assembly; however, since my tuner works as expected, I'm not going to sweat it.

With only two buttons, operation is extremely simple: tap the left-most button (the yellow LED will blink) and transmit within three seconds to display output power; or press, hold, and release the same button (the green LED will blink) and transmit within three seconds to kick in the automatic tuning. You'll see the SWR displayed and hear the relays clicking through different combinations to find the best match (the manual claims there are 32,768 possible combinations). It only takes a few seconds, and since the T1 uses latching relays, power is consumed only when tuning. The second button is used in combination with the first to switch the tuner in-line or to bypass it, or if you press, hold, and release, it will give you detailed power and SWR information by blinking the yellow LED in slow Morse.

I'm looking forward to putting this little tuner into service in the coming years.

KC8MWG Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2017 06:03 Send this review to a friend
Nice little tuner, easy to build  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I built mine from a kit a couple of months ago, and use it with my Xiegu X1M Platinum. It was an easy kit to build (all components that need to be installed are through-hole, you just need to make sure the leads are clipped off FLUSH with the board surface after soldering). All SMD components are already installed when you receive the kit. If you assemble it properly, it tunes up very quickly and accurately. We'll see how it holds up later this summer when I use it for portable work!

KG5CGN Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2017 20:25 Send this review to a friend
I like it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ive had mine for a few days. They have been around for a long time but I just got around to getting one.

I put her through the paces with my MFJ-9296 on 80M through 15M. I used a few different configurations of antenna and ran the rig at around 8 to 13 watts output (13.3V from a LiFePo gives me that output range over the 6 bands tested).
The EF Random wire was around 80 to 100 feet I think... truly random... Fed from a banana plug to bnc adapter directly on the T1. The rig and T1 were sitting on the ground and the wire went inverted vee at around 40 something feet. It found a 1:1 on all bands with a little loss on 80m but not much. I would retune until the swr went as low as possible. I was still putting out around 12 watts and made several qso's. A counterpoise made no discernable difference after trying a few different lengths...

Then I tested a 40 -10M Windom that was used in EF vertical and inverted L configurations (weird I know, but it works great when trees are limited). The short leg was set up as the counterpoise stretched out at 2 feet AGL, balun at feed point which was also 2 ft AGL, and fed with 25 ft of RG-174. Inverted L config had 35 ft or so vertical and the remaining 5 to 10 feet was horizontal. The T1 tuned to 1:1 on 80-15M with very little loss as well. I had a 6 inch RG-174 jumper from the MFJ-9296 into the T1 for all antennas.
I made two cross mode (cw to phone) qso's and several cw only contacts during my 1 hour test.

I'M IMPRESSED... I got tired of messing with the little, manual, kit tuners for my EF wire antennas, so I sprung for this T1 in pre-built version. I dont regret it at all. I guess I'm getting lazy.

I know a transmatch will always Introduce some loss based on match differences, but they did a good job with this tuner. Latching relays I believe...

I'm really happy. I purchased it specifically for my portable kit that runs between 3 and 15 watts depending on the supplied voltage. Git'r Done!!!!

SM0RWO Rating: 3/5 Dec 18, 2016 13:39 Send this review to a friend
Additional review  Time owned: more than 12 months
In my previous review I gave this thing a 0 and I'd like to slightly revise that. I borrowed a friends unit and that unit actually worked fine.
Just to comment HB9PJT: Nothing wrong with the antenna, I can tune it using an Icom AH-4 or a manual tuner. Indeed, the borrowed unit worked.

VK3FMAL Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2016 05:32 Send this review to a friend
Very happy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I built my T1 more than a year ago. It wasn't the most complex of builds, but was rather a rather tight fit in it's compact case.

It's worked well since day 1. I've used on multiple SOTA activation's with some pretty ordinary antenna's.

I'm very happy and would spend the money to buy the kit again.

G4VIW Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2014 04:30 Send this review to a friend
Superb  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the T1 for over a week and so far it has tuned everything I've connected from end fed random wires to doublets. I'm using it with a FT817ND and Anker Astro3 battery pack and it's small size make this an ideal combination for QRP operating. So far the W3EDP -,85ft wire + 17ft counterpoise is proving to be the best compromise ant but it's early days yet. Very happy ham!

KG4ZNA Rating: 3/5 Jul 23, 2014 13:43 Send this review to a friend
Broke after 2 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
My assembled tuner was bought in 2009 and was lightly used with 817ND. It tuned fast and it worked nicely. I loved the tuner. In 2010, I ran into family issues and health problems. I stayed away from my radio activities for 2 years. When I tried to use my tuner in 2012, it just would not tune. The green light would flash and I would hear the chirp that the tuner made while tuning. Around the same time, I started to go blind due to diabetic retinopathy. After about a dozen surgeries in both my eyes, I am back to the point where I want to play with my radio again. So I tried to tune again, and of course the tuner still did not work. I tried a new antenna. Maybe the antenna is bad, I thought. But no luck. I contacted Elecraft, and they wanted $99.00 to fix the tuner + shipping charges both ways. I went ahead and ordered another T1(assembled) and I am hoping to be luckier this time.

Thanks,
Arindam Basu
KG4ZNA

HB9PJT Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2014 03:24 Send this review to a friend
Very good Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
This tuner is very fine. It has a good tuning range and tunes very reliable. It is supersmall. A jewel of electronic device. Battery consumption is very low. I can't remember when I changed the battery last time.

The last reviewer SM0RWO seems to me not to be an experienced ham because he knocks a very good product for a defect in his antenna wiring or antenna or maybe his T1 is not ok.

73 Peter - HB9PJT

WB3GCK Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2014 18:59 Send this review to a friend
Matches Just About Anything  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use the Elecraft T1 with my portable QRP set up. It's small, light and I haven't come across anything that it won't match. I was leary, at first, about laying out the money for this thing but now I'm glad I did.

K2GK Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2014 15:40 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hold the button.
Send a carrier.
let go and let it tune.
Enjoy your radio usage made easy.
Thanks Elecraft!