Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Yaesu FL2000B Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FL2000B
Yaesu FL2000B Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: FL200B Yaesu first amplifier using two Cetron 572B triodes in parallel grounded grid configuration. (Circ 1969)
More info: http://www.foxtango.org/FL%20Amplifier%20Evolution.htm

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FL2000B.

NO0OO Rating: 4/5 Jun 13, 2009 09:16 Send this review to a friend
Nice Inexpensive Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my 2000B from an online auction 3 years ago. I use it behind my Kenwood 530S feeding it about 80W. All I have used it on is 15M and 20M.
It works like a champ. I've had no issues with it aside from a rare loud pop from (I assume) a cap. I get a solid 600W out of it, and it makes a serious difference on CW and SSB.
New tubes from multiple sources are still available if I need them.
Overall, if I had to do it over, I'd buy another 2000B.

N5GOD Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2009 06:14 Send this review to a friend
Great little amp!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my for the last 10+ years gave $300 for it from a friend and never regreted one penny I spent on it. I have not had one problem with the amp. No it don't have 160,17, or 12 meters but I knew that when I bought it. The 572B tubes are great and will give a very consistant 600 watts. If money is a issue and you are looking for a good cheap amp this is a very good one when you consider how much more money you would need to spend to get a legal limit amp that would give a little more output and get 160,17, and 12 meters. When I think of when this amp was made, how old it is now circa 1969, and the great job it does I have to give it a 5, I have a small quite extra fan I can lay on the amp if needed.

N5YRJ Rating: 4/5 Aug 9, 2008 18:49 Send this review to a friend
Good ol' dual 572 B Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my 2000b for about 10 years. I've used it and run it hard. Had to change out the caps but for its age thats understandable. Gave $300 ten years ago and it was worth every penny. Have broken a many pile up and worked a many Ragchew with this amp. It makes a good starter, primary or back up amp if all you need is about 600-700 watts out with 100 watt drive. Only covers 10-80 no warc bands. As previously stated it runs hot but fan noise is not a problem at my shack... 73'

M0BXT Rating: 4/5 Sep 22, 2005 05:48 Send this review to a friend
Good but runs quite warm  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a nice amp. Itís very like the FL2100B that is widely reviewed here but is styled like FLdx400/FRdx400 and FTdx401/560/570 etc. This style generally wears very well and although the grey wrap round case on mine has a few scratches the front still looks pretty good.

The comments about the FL2100B regarding running hot and having undersized band switching contacts apply equally well to the FL2000B (more below). Output power is the same; 600w+ on the low bands, perhaps 400 on 10m.

I bought my FL2000B from a friend. It was tidy but internally tired and I got reports of splatter when I first used it. After ignoring it for a few years I decided to overhaul it.

The (original?) 1973 Cetron 572Bs were replaced by new Chinese ones. These looked to be good copies of the Cetron ones and had the same sized anode/plate.

I replaced the 6 resistors used to balance the voltages across the smoothing capacitors as they were far from the 220 k nominal. Iíve seen this in a few old linears Iíve overhauled, itís worth checking.

Apart from un-gumming one of the fans and checking the plate current metering accuracy (the Yaesu shunts frequently change value when old) the unit was ready to roll. You can check the metering using a small external PSU resistors and a multimeter; you donít need to have the power on!

I managed to zap the contact to the fixed cap switched in on 80m when testing at full power into dummy load on 40m, it arced over. The contacts were melted beyond repair although I was subsequently able to rebuild the original wafer using new contact pairs transplanted from another wafer.

The internal build quality is very good with the internal cables beautifully loomed.

On air it gets good reports and I like using it. Because of the iffy switch contacts and hot running I canít give it 5/5, I would otherwise.

73, Andrew