Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FTdx-9000 (non PEP version only) Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTdx-9000 (non PEP version only)
Yaesu FTdx-9000 (non PEP version only) Reviews: 44 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $$11,500
Description: Yaesu's newest rig. Covering HF and 6 meters; this radio will be available in a total of three configurations including a 200 and 400 watt versions. The 200 watt versions feature a built-in power supply. There will be an external power supply on the 400 watt version.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=LGAPdoibciM%3D&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTdx-9000 (non PEP version only).

AC4TT Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2008 19:32 Send this review to a friend
An operator's review of FT-9000d  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is an operator's --not an engineer's-- review. I have a new FT-9000d from factory 3 mos. ago. I have used in contests and in direct switching comparisons with the K3, the ORION ONE, and the IC-775dsp. I have a history in this shack of op of FT-1000MP Mark 5. I was licensed in 1957 and hold a Ph.D. in the humanities. I am a contester and DXer.
1. Receiver...Operationally equal to the K3 in all ssb tests. FT's filtering of all kinds is not as sharp as K3 on CW. FT rings at tighter settings. FT auto notch is useless. FT manual notch is unbeatable and there is a visual assist in adjustment of it. The u-Tune filters are great...no loss of intelligibility but substantial reduction in all kinds of noises, but only makes improvements 30% of the time by tuning it off-center. FT needs lots of experimenting with Contour and DSP controls to find your favorite setting. I use Cont at 10 o'clock and DSP at 2 or 3 o'clock. Receiver hears everything the K3 hears (sensitivity)and selectivity on ssb is equal to superior to K3, but FT is weaker than K3 on CW.
2. Transmitter... puts out clean RF to 200watts, what more can I say. Drives amps ok.
3. Ease of use... MANY knobs and switches make the FT a dial-fiddler's dream and functions for the first rcvr are duplicated for the other rcvr. Both seem to be same performance. Built- in information screen is great, bright enuf, large enuf, and displays so much. I do not need outboard monitor, but I wear glasses. Band scope is almost fast enuf for real time, but stops changing when the main dial is turned, making tuning onto the desired sig peak unhandy. Grey-line map is fun. The FT is the best base radio for hams who like many controls, a beautifully smooth main tuning and a real precision feel to other knobs, too. Very great tactile feel. Some of the sw LEDs are too dim and the light bar above the left group of knobs is way too dim. Not all LEDs change color the way the book sez. If you like to OPERATE a real radio, not a computer screen and mouse, the FT-9000d should be your first choice.
4. Overall... I turn to the K3 only for a long CW session. If I had only the K3, I would add it to a computer and bandscope because then it would be more easy to control instead of so many multi-function buttons. However, it is the FT that gives me-- by far-- the most operating pleasure.
de K4VUD Charles

EI7BA Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2008 16:42 Send this review to a friend
Impressive  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very impressive. No issues so far. Everything works as described.Very easy to operate,and like the FT-1000D, mechanically excellent. No surprises there....For that kind of money it ought to be good.

K9OQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2008 12:09 Send this review to a friend
This is the best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I received my FTdx9000D about two years ago. It was my type of radio. Heavy, built like a tank and lots of knobs! I was in love with the radio from the beginning. I use it with the VL 1000 amp and it is a great combination. I want to focus attention however on Dennis K7BV. What a champion of the Yaesu users he is! How many times can you pick up the phone and talk to the person who is actually in charge and find that person compassionate rather than defensive and have them go to bat for you. Any radio as sophisticated as the FTdx9000 series has the potential for problems. However, for any company in today’s world to come forward and retrofit the radio at no expense to the customer even including shipping is a sign of unbelievable integrity. Since Dennis has come on board I can say that Yaesu service is the model for any industry. Anyone buying an FTdx9000 can not only be assured of the best in amateur radio but be assured that the company believes enough in quality that they are willing to step up when necessary. The definition of a quality company is one that meets the defined needs of the customer. Yaesu has done that in spades. Given how the radio works now I can only imagine what it will be like after the retrofit! Thanks to Dennis and Yaesu for a great product and wonderful support.

K5VY Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2008 14:24 Send this review to a friend
Best I've ever owned!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own the FTdx-9000MP, 400 watt model. I've added the three Mu-tuners, and the outboard monitor display. I've had this unit since December of 2006. Let me say that I've been envolved in Ham Radio as a Hobby since 1947, and Wireless Telecommunications (we called it "radio" most of the time ) as a profession since 1958.

I've had Drake, Collins, Hallicrafters, endless military gear, Icom, Kenwood and eary Yaesu radios during that time. Add plenty of Commercial equipments to the list, and you'll get the idea...

Certainly, there were units that were outstanding at the time, but none to compare with this unit. Sensitivity and selectivity are without doubt the best. Along with a nice assortment of filters and Rx & Tx extras, I can't imagine this radio being any better!! I'm getting DX contacts from around the world running a barefoot 200-250 watts!! Running Class A, SSB with outstanding audio reports. CW & digital are really rewarding too. Mostly on 40 meters on a wire dipole!! The 66' tower is going up this Summer or Fall, with a 20 meter beam, God and my XYL willing !! I have to admit it took me several months to "Learn" this radio, but it is a patient teacher!

Now I learn there is a retrofit/recall program in the works. And at Yaesu's expense!! Including Shipping both ways!! So, as the saying goes, "The best is getting Better"... As one of my Aussie buddies says.."It's a bit pricey, but worth every bit..."

Best 73
Garland, K5VY

K6JPA Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2008 09:19 Send this review to a friend
Quite Pleased!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Ok, first off, let me first say that I have been an Icom fan since day one. I purchased a IC-7800 when they were relatively new and have overall been quite satisfied with it. I still consider it a beautiful rig, and have no intent on selling it.

That having been said, my curiousity got the best of me and I decided to pick up a FTDX-9000D to compare against the IC-7800. I'll be honest, I didn't have as high of expectations for the Yaesu, but once it arrived, I was amazed with the high quality construction put into the rig, and how nicely it has performed. I have not found any issues with it, and aside from the learning curve being more steep than that of the IC-7800, I would have to say it gets the overall nod for quality and performance.

From a hard-core Icom fan, I have to congratulate you, Yaesu, for designing such a beautiful product. You've made a believer out of me.

KF0B Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2008 08:54 Send this review to a friend
Best Radio Ever Designed !!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently received my new Yaesu FTDX-9000mp 400 watt HF transceiver. There are no words to describe it. Works beautiful. Fan noise from power supply I cannot hear. I decided on the 400 watt MP version and sold my amplifier. 400 is enough. Actually, it also does put out 400 watts on 6 meters. Monitor feature now works on all modes except FSK RTTY. Internal display is a waste if you are going to use a nice (and cheap) external display. Besides, you get 2 extra meters and a small multicolor LCD display this way. Also, you get the 4 large knobs for countour, N/R, Vrf, and Notch this way. Transmit audio and receive audio on this radio are the best I have ever heard. There is absolutely nothing bad to say about this radio, except maybe the price. Measure you station before ordering, as it is much larger than other radios. I have to say that this is the finest amateur radio that I have ever owned or used, bar none! Now... Is it worth the $10,000 + dollars ? Maybe..maybe not... you decide. I am still pondering that, but it is too late for me! I did not order any of the uTune units for this radio, and so far have not regretted it. 73

AC5DF Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2008 06:13 Send this review to a friend
I must be in radio Heaven  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It is difficult to put into words in relation to the outstanding performance that sits on the table here in front of me. This FTdx-9000 Contest is an absolute work of art and performs far beyond my wildest dreams. Never before has the HF spectrum taken the shape this radio molds it into. I feel like I have gone to Radio Heaven. It's a wonderful place to be. Un-believe-able.............AC5DF..............

VE2VOL Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2008 09:05 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic!  Time owned: more than 12 months
It has been over 6 months since I have owned the FTDX-9000D

I have had the IC-7800 & FTDX-9000Contest
The FTDX-9000D is like no other radio that I have owned.
Learn...learn...learn..
The micro-tune system filters are the most advanced feature ever incorp. into TX, and it works!
First read the book. It's a must.I spent many hours reading and discovered new features.
Estimated time : 40 Hours Min...
Interference Rejection 12 pages on technical Information you must read that!
Page 57 learn about Frequency Navigation Techniques.
Contour control Operation,DNF operation, digital notch filter, DNR operation, ACM Agecent Channel Monitor, Abt Phantom Voltage??
One-Touch IF Filter Selection, ACM ?
Dial swap configuration,
One full page Information for changing the Speaker output Configuration, dont miss it..
Dont forget the TFT Operation Manual! another 10 hours... plus experimentations & few frustrations..and back agn into the papers..

Many year ago I went abord a 737 flight simulator
then the FTDX-9000D's front Panel Controls is as impressive was the 737 cockpit..
They call the FTDX-9000D Radio for Amateur....
Wow! I love this Hi-Class Radio, its a passion.
I am not a Technician I am a Professionnal Financial Advisor.
Now I can flight the ftdx-9000D AT 75% most of the time whitout any serious problems, last week had problem with the landing gears.. Since that time I am still on the air..I forgot to bring the instruction manual
If the FTDX-900 seems to complicated for you... go get the Ten-Tec Omni-V11. Plug & Play
Last thing.. The FTDX-9000Contest & FTDX-9000D
are not compatible with the HL-1.5KFX Tokyo Hi-Power Amplifier
(Automatic Band Selector does'nt work)
Read my Amplifier's comments Tokyo Hi-Power
Tokyo Can't find the solution.I use it manually..

The FTDX-9000D is in perfect working Condition since the the first day ...Trouble free Radio Thank's to Yeasu
God bless Canada & América

Francoys
VE2VOL
Born To be free

KW4CQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2007 07:52 Send this review to a friend
My second 9000 is a Contest model  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This time I bought the Contest model (barebones, no options). I love this radio!! What more can I say? You looking for a numerical rating? OK, how about a 10?

DIPOLE Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2007 15:26 Send this review to a friend
Excellent transceiver  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After many years away from ham radio, my new found status as an empty nester made me look again at the hobby. Having spent several frustrating hours in a futile attempt at getting my old HW-101 to tune, I decided to punt the "cheap" approach and go whole-hog. After some comparison with the IC-7800, I decided to drop the green for a 9000D and have not regretted it. It is virtually a complete ham shack in a single box, and has performed flawlessly, as advertised, in every area. The only thing I have yet to try is the built-in rotor control/GC map, as I presently do no have any such antenna.

To be sure, this radio does have a learning curve. There are, it would seem, at least 3 different ways to do just about anything depending on the subtleties of the situation at hand. I would have to say it's an operators radio, definitely not for the guy who just wants someone to just tell him what button to push. Keep the operating manual close at hand!!!

It is large and HEAVY, as the 200W versions have an internal power supply. So get a heavy duty table. Construction is top notch and I fell this radio will far out live me.