Reviews Categories | GPS receivers for APRS | Garmin Emap Help

Reviews Summary for Garmin Emap
Garmin Emap Reviews: 3 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $300
Description: GPS Reciever
More info: http://www.garmin.com/products/emap/

You can write your own review of the Garmin Emap.

KF4MJJ Rating: 2/5 Jun 6, 2007 09:01 Send this review to a friend
poor plug  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned an EMAP for several years. The major problem is the connection for the Power/data on the bottom of the unit. The little wings on the channel that it slides into have been slowly breaking away. Now the plug will not stay in. I called Garmin, they said that the wings breaking is not a manufacture defect and for $99.00 they can repair it. I like the unit, I took it with me on disaster assignment to New Orleans for Katrina, however I can not use the data port anymore as the plug will not stay connected. Garmin said they did not know of the problem with the wings braking off, and that the E-Map is discontinued. Has anyone else had problems with the data port? KF4MJJ

WD8AJJ Rating: 4/5 Mar 13, 2007 13:08 Send this review to a friend
Goog GPS  Time owned: more than 12 months
I HAVE HAD MINE OVER 4 YEARS WITH NO PROBLEMS.
The connector is a bit flaky bit not a real pain. This unit does more than most today do. Has mant different outputs to interface into almost any format and will tell ya your current Grid Square in real time. I have a $500.00 Magellan that will not to that. For APRS and other dedicated modes it's a great unit. Parts are still available for it from many after market suppliers.

KD5YBE Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2005 22:44 Send this review to a friend
Great GPS  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 2 Garmin emap receivers. I have owned them for 2 years. I use one of them along with a Alinco DR-135 for APRS mobile. The GPS is discontinued but you can find one on ebay for about $150 up. The emap has a good display. Not too big not too small. It has a slot for extra memory to add more maps which is great. It uses 2 AA batteries or Cigar lighter adapter. If either of these ever go out I will buy another one to replace it.