Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-729 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-729
ICOM IC-729 Reviews: 5 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 160 - 6 mtrs tcvr (10w on VHF)
More info: http://www.qsl.net/sm7vhs/radio/icom/ic729/ic729.htm

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-729.

K6ZTF Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2012 22:56 Send this review to a friend
Great Beginner Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Recently passed the General Class and purchased this radio as my first HF radio. What a great radio, it is easy to use and does not require hours of study, asking questions, scratching your head or a pocket guide to be able to swith the radio on and have a QSO.
Purchased it on E-Bay with the matching tuner / PSU / desk mic / speaker all in immaculate condition.
Over the last few months I have put all my effort into the antenna system. I started with a wire dipole on a 40' fibreglass ex-military pole, and then recently a 40' Rohn tower with a K4KIO Hexbeam (fantastic antenna). An awesome combination, this little radio does a great job with 100w and good audio reports.
Very very happy and having lots of fun.

K7LN Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2009 10:09 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I moved up to a 729 from a 726. The 729 had a few more improvements that I liked. I eventually moved up to a 736 and a 738. Those were great but really more than I wanted. I now regret selling the 729 and have gotten a 728. Simple and easy to operate. Both rigs work well with the FL-101 CW filter. The AM bandwidth is still a bit too wide for my tastes. I'll stick with my current 728 unless I find a good 729. Both are great radios at good prices.

VE6TWN Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2007 23:06 Send this review to a friend
Very solid nice radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second IC-729.
I got the first one around 1994~95. It was a really good radio especially accompany with AT-160 auto antenna. I had this rig for about 2 years then I sold it. As soon as I sold it I start to regret that I souldn't sell it.
Until 2 years ago, I came across a very good iC-729. I bought it right the way without second thought. I do have his bigger brother IC-775DSP, but I still purchased this IC-729 for spare rig. In my experience, both of IC-729 have been very good rigs without any problem. Although it is an old model, but it is a very solid rig. I have been used this IC-729 10W in 6m with my home made square loop antenna and I got very good signal reports around Canada and USA. In HF, the reception is very good. I switched between IC-775DSP and IC-729, they both have similar S readout. The only difference is that IC-775DSP with the "DSP" function which can cancel more noise.
I had owned IC-725, IC-726, and IC-728 as well, I really like the "72x" series rigs. They all are low maintenance, low problem.

KB8SOJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2002 17:47 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first HF radio and I love it. It was a toss up between this rig and the Kenwood TS690. This one was a bit cheaper and a friend of mine had the 728 and liked it and I wanted the 6M option. 6M is only 10 watts but that does just fine when conditions are good. The one flaw is the PL board option, it is "PROGRAMABLE" but only for one tone unless you mod the board with a DIP switch. I have worked the world with this radio with just some wires barefoot. I use a Heil HM-10 dual mic but only use the HC 4 element. Reports with the HC 5 give it low audio. Over all a great radio and the only problem that I can report is the display lights. I have had to replace three of them but it is not too hard as long as you are steady with the iron and your eyes are not too bad. I have had this radio for about eight years but just came on this review site so I thought I would share my 2 cents.

N8FVJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2001 02:22 Send this review to a friend
Surprising Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The IC-729 is a IC-728 with 6 meters and the AM-FM module standard. The PLL (DDS) tuning is very nice, tunes like a high-end product. The receiver is reasonably selective, very sensitive and 'hot' on 6 meters. (For other information see my IC-728 review). One downfall is that used IC-729s are expensive on the used market. Also, the 6 meter transmitter is only rated at 10 watts out. A better deal about $200 more is the IC-736 with 100 watts out on 6 meters, built-in antenna tuner, power supply and VOX. What the IC-729 has over the IC-736 is great transmitter specs which equals excellent xmit audio, the IC-738 with the mos-fet finals does not! However, the newer IC-746 is not any better than a IC-736!