Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Motorola MTS-2000 Help

Reviews Summary for Motorola MTS-2000
Motorola MTS-2000 Reviews: 7 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $250-400
Description: Motorola's most full-featured portable analog radio is compact and lightweight. It may be the smallest Motorola portable in its class, but it comes packed with power and performance. Using Motorola's FLASHport technology, the MTS 2000 portable is dynamic enough to change with the times through easy and economical software upgrades.

System Compatibilities
Compatible through software configuration with multiple system types, including Conventional, StartSite, SMARTNET, SMARTNET Type I and SmartZone systems.
APCO 16 Feature Sets
Emergency, PTT-ID, Dynamic Regrouping and Selective Radio Inhibit are standard.
Narrow Band Operation
Programmed to operate at 12.5, 25/30 kHz channel bands.
Broad Band Operation
Interoperability between organizations on adjacent sub-bands is easier and more economical.
Encryption Capabilities
SECURENET capable models feature sophisticated digital encryption techniques that prevent unintended listeners from overhearing your conversation.
Built-In Noise Reduction Microphones
The noise reduction microphones allows you to be heard despite background noise.
Mobile Companion Radio
Compatible with the MCS 2000 mobile radio to provide an easy transition between mobile and portable usage.
FLASHport Software Upgrades
Allows you to add capabilities and features to your radio as your communication needs evolve.
More info: http://www.motorola.com/cgiss/portables/mts2000.shtml

You can write your own review of the Motorola MTS-2000.

G0YNM Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2013 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Oldie but goodie - UK  Time owned: more than 12 months
In the UK the UHF MTS2000 was used in huge numbers by the UK Police forces etc, many are still available in the UK.

48 channels, 16 channels in 3 zones, scanning,good sensitive RX (strange varying amount of FM noise issues when squelch is held open though) doesn't impact RX sensitivity, sq operation or recovered audio in any way. Our P25 Astro Spectra's do this too. weird.
They're cheap, plentiful, spares, accessories, chargers available from China too.
Good audio, 6.25 kc steps, built like a tank, good looking and useful sets. TX mic AGC works quite well, basic non-keypad in the UK type have basic flashcode, probably down to the toolproof., thanks Moto.

Probably the best cheap FM PMR HT you can get for the price. Good ones perform amazingly on the included standard Motorola 'rat tail' flexi aerial and in tests, they make shiny Icom / Yaesu HTs look like they're transmitting into dummy loads..

Get the CPS (windows prof software) it runs on a fast dual-core CPU, get a decent prog lead. superb bits of kit.

KF4ZTO Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2013 15:46 Send this review to a friend
Best handheld I've ever owned.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've been using Motorola radios (mainly HTs) for the past few years now but it wasn't until a few months ago that I acquired a MTS2000 (Version I, the 48 channel version). I've owned HT600s, MT1000s, HT1250s and I'm currently using my MTS with a Motorola Radius P1225 as my VHF backup HT. The MTS2000 not only out performs every ham handheld I've ever used but is on-par with the MT1000 but with better selectivity. I live in an urban area and the VHF band is loaded with intermod. The MTS hears no intermod while my Yaesu FT-60 only hears intermod. Transmit audio is clean and loud, even in narrowband (12.5kHz) mode. I also use this radio on MURS and for public safety reception. Beats every scanner I've ever used for VHF monitoring. Tons of signalling features, basically impossible to break and a rock-solid front end. If you're thinking about buying a monoband HT, go with Motorola. You won't regret it.

N2QQF Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2008 17:13 Send this review to a friend
Unbelievable Performance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the MTS 2000 with the full keypad and 256 channels. The radio performs great with no problems in fact it works flawlessly. The is a defined difference between the commercial equipment and amateur equipment. the differences are not subtle in fact they are very obvious. the durability is incredible the performance is unmatched and the flurry of options is endless. I love the radio and would never buy a non commercial HT or mobile again.

The only downside is programming but if you are good with programming the radios or know someone that does then it is a "No Brainer". I will mention that you need to have someone with a service monitor to adjust the deviation other wise you will sound like crap and the radio might be off frequency which happens quite often when changing a radio out of their normal operational frequency or pass band. Also, make sure you take it to a person with test equipment and not one of these fly by night guys in their house on the kitchen table.

KE4RWS Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2007 05:59 Send this review to a friend
Great for amateur use  Time owned: more than 12 months
I currently own a 48-channel MTS2000 and have found it, along with all Motorola equipment, to be an excellent choice for amateur radio use. I formerly had the older 160 channel MT2000 with the 14-character front display (both VHF & UHF), and found them to be terrific as well. I happen to prefer the 48-channel MTS2000 because 48 channels is plenty of capacity for me (canít even use all of those), and the basic features this model has, not to mention the build quality, is way above anything made by the amateur radio manufacturers.

One factor though is programming. Years ago it could be an expensive venture to acquire all the needed components to program this radio (or any model for that matter). Any more these same programming components can be purchased rather cheaply via eBay and the like. The only other issue is finding the Radio Service Software, or RSS to program it with. However, this too can be found on the Internet if you thoroughly search for it.

I only use my MTS2000, MTX9000 and HT1000 radio systems for amateur radio use, having pretty much discarded my amateur made radios for anything more than those times where I need to quickly punch in a particular frequency, tone, etc. Otherwise, for daily operating, I use my Motorola equipment.

Battery life, real belt clips, true heavy-duty, high quality: All of these things describe this equipment and then some. MT2000, MTS2000, MTX & HT1000ís have all decreased in price over recent years and can be purchased for a very fair price, which makes them great for amateur radio use.

Highly recommended radio!

KI6KGN Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2007 22:26 Send this review to a friend
Motorola's Finest Handheld  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've only owned my MTS2000 (UHF Split 403-470 MHz) for about two weeks, and I am satisfied with it's performance. Great audio, It has 48 channels, I only had to utilize 32 channels so I have an extra "zone" of 16 channels should I need them in the future. Just wish the Speaker/Microphone wasn't so expensive, but hey thats what ebay is for:). I also bought a VHF HT1000, and have had fun with it despite it's only 16 channels. I may eventually upgrade to a MTS2000 thats VHF sometime in the future.

73 KI6KGN
Trevor C.

N2MWE Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2006 12:58 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked up a VHF MTS2000 on Ebay...nice radio, well built. Nice 6 character display ON TOP of the radio, so I don't have to take it off to see what channel I'm on. This rig has 48 channels, and I use it as an amateur handheld, and since it's type accepted, I also use it on the job. Came with a Motorola IMPRES Battery, holds a long charge.
I've seen other hams down the Motorola radios because of the lack of software, but you know, if you have the cash for Motorola, then you have the few extra bucks to get it programmed. Most places will provide free programming with the purchase. Other than the software, these Motorolas blast ANY amateur handheld out the window. Solid receivers, excellent battery life, durable construction. Can the Big Three say that?

NH7CY Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2005 13:03 Send this review to a friend
best conventional radio out there  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 3 of these radios. 2 UHF Model III's and 1 800 Model I. These radios are great. I have dropped them out of windows, waded throught rivers and crawled through snow and mud with these radios and they just keep working. The 14 character alpha-numeric display is great because i dont particularly like having to guess what each channel is programmed to, and with the 160 channel capacity (255 channels on the newer models), i can put all of my frequencies into the radio without worrying about running out of space. The only thing Motorola could have fixed about these radios is the audio. Its not exactly the loudest audio out there but it is clearer than anything. Also the recieve quality is great. I can listen to the San Francisco 800 Mhz trunking system on my 800 handheld from 2 counties over. The one thing about most of Motorolas radios though (with the exception of the jt1000's, ht1550's, etc..) you have to either have the RSS or the CPS, the cables, and a RIB box to program these radios with. Overall, great radio. The only radio better than this i think would be an XTS.