Reviews Categories | GPS receivers for APRS | GPS 18 OEM Help

Reviews Summary for GPS 18 OEM
GPS 18 OEM Reviews: 17 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$89.99
Description: The GPS 18 is a GPS sensor targeted to OEM clients for use in automotive, fleet vehicle, and electronics applications where a small, highly accurate GPS receiver is needed.

This 12-parallel-channel, WAAS-enabled GPS receiver is available in either CMOS-level serial or USB 2.0 full-speed versions, and comes with an integrated magnetic base. The puck-like receiver is 2.4 inches in diameter and weighs just ounces, making it an ideal solution in applications where space is at a premium.

The GPS 18 is offered in three different cable configurations: A-style USB, DB-9 pin serial with 12-volt cigarette lighter adapter (PC), or bare wire (LVC). The PC and LVC versions both default to output data in the industry standard NMEA 0183 data format, but may also be user programmed to output data in the GARMIN proprietary format. The USB version produces data only in the GARMIN proprietary format. All three versions of the GPS 18 come complete with non-volatile memory for storage of configuration information, a real-time clock, and raw measurement output data for sophisticated customer applications. The LVC version additionally provides a pulse-per-second logic level output whose rising edge is aligned to the UTC second within 1 microsecond. The USB 2.0 full-speed version of the GPS18 is also compatible with USB 1.1 full-speed hosts.
More info: http://www.garmin.com/products/gps18oem/index.jsp

You can write your own review of the GPS 18 OEM.

K3BH Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2012 17:42 Send this review to a friend
GPS 18 OEM  Time owned: more than 12 months
I installed this unit in my motorhome about seven years ago, and it's done yeoman service since then. It was a little tedious to set it up for 5 volt operation, but since doing that with a 5 volt regulator and installing the I/O, it's been on line continuously since then. If this meets your needs, you can't go wrong.

G4ZLZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2012 13:33 Send this review to a friend
Long Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
My system comprises ALINCO DR135, Argent Data Systems tracker and a serial GPS 18. My unit has been fitted to the outside of my vehicle in all weathers and powered continuously for several years. It goes with me to work every day and it has never missed a beat.

W3JKS Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2010 13:38 Send this review to a friend
Great for both TOD and location  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
We (AD3M and I) placed one of these on top of our Mobile Communications Unit. I purchased the LVC model with wire tails, as it sports a 1 pulse/second lead. We terminated the cable onto an FTDI EVAL232R board ($20 at Mouser) to perform the TTL level conversion (placed the 1 PPS onto pin 9 of the DB9F connector) and provide regulated +5 VDC from the USB connection up to the GPS18 (LVC model runs on 5 volts, not 12!).

It works gangbusters. Acquires time and position in seconds in spite of a VERY limited view of the satellites (MCU37 sits in a parapet behind a 4-story building).

I am running this GPS into a Linux server and the GPSD GPS-sharing daemon. When we plugged the GPS18 into the USB port, Linux auto-magically configured the virtual serial port and the default configuration of GPSD did the rest. The xgps program displays the constellation, time, and position in real-time. GPSD, in turn, feeds my APRS daemon (APRS4R) and the Network Time Protocol daemon to provide accurate time-of-day to the various on-board computers.

Highly recommended!

73s,
john W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
www.armymars.net

SWL377 Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2009 15:58 Send this review to a friend
This GPS ROCKS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Lightning fast sat. acquistion. We used this on parachute jumps www.parachutemobile.org and it worked perfectly even at 14,500 feet in the cold.
I was going to use a kluged up interface with a big unit like the Garmin Vista, but was talked out of it in favor of using this very capapble hockey puck black box GPS. Very glad I chose the Garmin 18. No complaints other than it is a bit pricey condsidering that there is no display or keypad. It probably costs about $8 to make. Buy one, you will not regret it.

W8DEC Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2009 12:05 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
Works great with my TH-D7A(G), TM-D700, and TM-D710. I would recommend it to any APRS user.

KC0RSY Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2009 13:59 Send this review to a friend
Works above 60K  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Garmin 18X LVC (or PC) with firmware version 3.00 worked excellent during our first balloon flight (WØJH-11)up to about 87,000 feet. We were very impressed with this unit. All three that were purchased have worked flawlessly.

KC0RSY Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2009 11:18 Send this review to a friend
Impressive Receiver 18x  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchase three Garmin GPS 18x receivers for our club. One will be used in a high altitude balloon experiment. When I first powered it up connected an OpenTracker+, I was very surprised when it found enough satellites to give me a very accurate position from inside my basement in less than 30 second. Most GPS units need a clear view of the sky but this one works for me indoors.

Rick KØBR

VA3FHG Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2008 11:31 Send this review to a friend
Works Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased the GPS-18x for use with my TM-D700A transceiver. The 18x has the latest SiRf receiver. It was plug and play out of the box. Very quick to pick up the GPS signals. I am very satisfied with the unit, and would recommend it to anyone wishing to have a relatively inexpensive GPS unit for mobile APRS.

KA1MZY Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2008 10:05 Send this review to a friend
VERY nice GPS Puck  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this GPS puck for over a year. I have the serial version to interface to Kenwood D700. I used the GPS for about a year before switching to an AVMAP5.

The GPS18 performed flawless without any programming. I connected it to the Kenwood and it started receiving GPS information in under a minute.

These GPS's can be found for 70$ or so new so make sure you do some shopping before you pay over $100.

K4MZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2007 19:34 Send this review to a friend
Perfect for use with a TM-D700  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently replaced my old Garmin StreetPilot with a C330 (which I love) but still wanted to be able to do APRS with my TM-D700. I ordered the non OEM version with the serial connector because it comes with the windshield mount and MapSource® City Navigator DVD, and it was well worth the few extra dollars. Now in my dash I have my new C330 with the GPS18 behind it and the TM-D700 head all neatly in the place where I had my bulky old (yet reliable) StreetPilot. Out of the box it was plug and play with the serial adapter I already had for my radio. It was only a minute before the TM-D700 was blinking "GPS" and I couldn't be happier. For me it was a great option instead of going with a single, much more expensive GPS unit to use for APRS.