Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Tecsun PL-350 Help

Reviews Summary for Tecsun PL-350
Tecsun PL-350 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $64.90
Description: SW/FM/MW-AM portable receiver, 550 memories

You can write your own review of the Tecsun PL-350.

KM5DI Rating: 4/5 Jun 15, 2007 08:35 Send this review to a friend
Great value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I also purchased this radio via eBay. It is an incredibly good performing radio and is much better than a few other, more expensive portables I've owned. OK, so the markings are in Chinese - but it doesn't take look to figure out how to work the controls and the seller provides an English owner's manual. I understand there is an English version but have not located it. I paid less than $50 including shipping. Great value.

ROBNZBOY Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2006 14:29 Send this review to a friend
Eton and Kaito missed a great one!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my favorite radio. I've had it nearly two years (purchased from eBay seller Liypn), and I'm amazed at how perfectly it fits my needs. It has a sleep timer that you set once and forget, so every time you turn it on, it stays on the same amount of time and then it turns off. It has 550 memories that can be customized in many different ways. I have my pages set up with 50 memories each. You can advance up and down through the memories by up and down buttons or with the tuning knob. That wonderful knob also allows me to tune up and down the dial by 10 or 1 kHz (5 or 1 on SW). And this radio allows you to turn off the muting! Reception is very good on all bands (which includes the entire AM band from 520 to 1710 and all SW frequencies from 1711 to 29999). It has a real analog volume knob too! It has a black rubbery finish that keeps it from slipping out of my hands or sliding off the bed. It's a bit smaller than the DE1103. It uses 3 AA rechargeable batteries. When they run down, I take them out and recharge them in a quick charger and put them back into the radio. It has a nice sound through its speaker.

This radio has a lot of other features. But the features I listed above were the ones that makes it a keeper for me. In the past two years, I bought several radios (Sony ICF7600GR, Eton E5, Eton E10, Grundig G4000A, Degen DE1103, etc). Each of them had one or more fatal flaws so I sent them all back and kept the PL-350. That's how much I like this little radio!

I really don't know why Eton or Kaito hasn't picked up on this radio. Maybe it came out during a time when they had too many other new models in the works. But they have definitely missed out on a great little radio!

WEATHERALL Rating: 3/5 Jan 17, 2006 11:22 Send this review to a friend
Good portable single-conversion radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought a Tecsun PL-350 from an eBay seller in China. It has Chinese labeling, and an English translation of the manual was provided. It was generally easy to learn the controls, because I own a Tecsun PL-200 with a similar keypad layout. I like this radio for its size, appearance, tuning knob, useful LCD display, and solid feel. The backlight for the display works very well in the dark. Being able to switch between fast and slow modes for the tuning knob provides a nice tuning experience. Sometimes the tuning knob slips and lands on the wrong frequency. Also, sometimes the keypad lock seems to activate on its own, which is a hassle. Another issue I've had is with the battery life sensor. With the radio off, the battery sensor showed two bars, but when I turned the radio on, it quickly turned itself off and flashed an arrow under the battery icon, indicating it was too low on battery power. But then the battery sensor showed two bars again. I was stuck because I was away from home and without spare batteries. The radio emits an audible hiss which I have not heard from my Kaito 1102. Overall the PL-350 is fun to use and provides decent shortwave reception, but I am more fond of the Kaito 1102 because of its additional features (dual conversion, SSB, display and keypad backlight, better audio quality).

weatherall