Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-767GX Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-767GX
Yaesu FT-767GX Reviews: 25 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $2298.00 (US)
Description: HF 100w Multimode plus optional 6/2/70 10w modules & ATU.
More info: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FT767GX/?yguid=93970339

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-767GX.

K7EXJ Rating: 4/5 Oct 25, 2015 07:54 Send this review to a friend
A Solid Value Now  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Yaesu FT-767GX was one of the top-of-the-line radios back in the late 1980s. I boought mine from a friend for $1,000 in 1990 to use on the maritime mobile nets (I was a radio officer for Exxon then). It had three accessory modules in it for 6m, 2m and 440 but the only one I used was the 2m one.

I liked the built in power supply and the modules and frequency memories (which were new back then). Bandswitching was easy and quick and a simple mod put the rig on all frequencies.

The built in antenna tuner on mine was clunky and slow from the get-go but it worked. Lately it has pretty much stopped working but the power output indicator still works fine.

When I got the CW bug again (you can imagine that I have worked a LOT of CW over the years) I found that the radio's sensitivity seemed ok but the selectivity left something to be desired. I don't know if I can even get the filters to improve it (originally I only did SSB) but I stumbled upon a Datong FL-3 analog audio filter and that certainly cures the selectivity issue.

Right now they are available at reasonable prices (late 2015) and for a first rig I don't think it can be beat for the price. Just don't expect perfection. These are coming up on 30 years old and they were (and are) complex radios with a lot of moving parts.

But they make an excellent base station rig with a lot of built-in features. The built-in keyer (another rarity back then) is excellent and the monitor has three different audio frequencies (pick the one you like) and variable level control. Full break-in on CW works very well. Not up to a Ten-Tec or a KX-3 but certainly very usable.

After nearly 30 years mine is still able to hit 107-watts output key-down but I usually back the drive down to 50 or 75 watts. No use pushing the old girl too hard. :)

Excellent rig. K7EXJ

KJ4RVA Rating: 4/5 Feb 22, 2011 17:58 Send this review to a friend
FT-767GX Good transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my 767 GX for over a year now. When I purchased it the 767 GX was a one owner in pristine condition and still is. I have never had a problem with it. To make it simple it has a lot of bells and whistles and is an all-around good transceiver. Yes the receive could be better, but any radio out there could have a better receive. The transmitt portion is very good for this old radio. I get between 120 to 135 on LSB/USB and 115 on CW, on AM I get 105 out. I own other Yaesu equipment, FL 2100B and an FT 7900 and am satisfied with these units. I am rating a 4 of 5 on this radio because nothing is perfect... 73's ya'll

N7WR Rating: 4/5 Nov 12, 2010 21:18 Send this review to a friend
XLNT RCVR  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wound up with a 767GX with 2 meter module in a trade a few months ago. I am impressed with the receiver. Very quiet and compares favorably with my much newer DSP equipped Yaesu. Gets good audio reports on SSB with my Heil mic and CW is easy with built in keyer. Had a problem with the VFO drive shaft being gunked up with old lube. Cleaned it, re-lubed it and all is well. An oldie but goodie

KJ4PXH Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2010 20:38 Send this review to a friend
Good Solid Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I Brought mine back in 1990 new.I had the 6mtr 2mtr and 70cms modules but never got to use 6mtr due to limted founds to put an Antenna up at the time.I was back in the UK at the time and finally got to use the radio on HF after passing my morse and finally getting my full ticket of G0OMM.This Radio gave me no problems for the next 9 years until i had to sell it when i moved to Georgia.I miss the old Girl had lots of great QSO's with her.
73 De Steve KJ4PXH

VE7BGP Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2007 11:48 Send this review to a friend
Overlooked Classic Yaesu  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently got an FT-767GX from an old friend. Wow is that radio ever nice. Mine included the 2 meter module. I christened it giving points on the ARRL V/Uhf contest on 2 SSB held recently. I find mine has a nice quiet receiver that hears very well. I have the IC-751A's in my shack to compare this one to. I find myself using this great old Yaesu a lot. This rig used the MRF-422 finals in the transmitter output for great IMD and very rugged operation loafing at 100 Watts. This radio was the first to include V/Uhf operation in addition to being a top drawer HF rig. It still today is the only Larger but not too big base rig to Include 2, 6 and .7 Meter bands with freedom from all those bothersome menus. If you are looking for a nice older radio don't overlook the FT-767GX. Mine is 20+ years old and still a great performer.
Gerry VE7BGP

KI6SZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2007 12:32 Send this review to a friend
Reliable Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine new back in 1989, then soon after I bought the 6m, 2m, and 440-450 MHz band modules. This has been a very reliable rig. Very well built. This was my main rig up until 2004 when I got a PROII. The 767 receiver is no match for the PROIII, but all in all is a very nice performing radio that I will keep for many more years. It is now a backup rig and I use it regularly on the bench for working on amps.

I have had many QSOs with this rig and internal power supply along with the VHF/UHF capability makes for a decent rig to setup in a hotel room, etc.

The only ding I have for this rig is the way that Yaesu implemented CAT control. When controlling it with the CAT interface, the front panel controls are disabled (this is an internal programming issue with the radio itself) and are not re-enabled until the CAT interface is turned off... The CAT commands must be echoed back and acknowledged by the PC, etc. All in all a very cumbersome approach but may be appropriate for remote control of the radio over a network when the radio is out of reach of the operator...

NJ9A Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2007 11:49 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased brand new at Charlotte, NC Hamfest 3-18-89. Got the rig, MD-1 desk mike, 767 ext speaker, 2M and 440 modules for $2165. Times have sure changed. Never a problem and have never gotten anyhting but excellent audio reports. I have worked CW and SSB. Unhooked when I moved and it sat idle for 6 years. Bought a new Windom, turned it on and has performed flawlessly. Never did buy the 6M module but it was nice having HF/VHF/UHF in one rig. Would do it again.

W8AAZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2005 16:04 Send this review to a friend
Dated ultra deluxe all bander  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one before my current rig. I performed the magic mod-flip the switch for out of band. Then I was able to be a CAP net control station and got super reports. Has the TXCO so it stayed on freq. which was critical for federal freqs. Also used it on odd bands with a tuner to talk to FEMA stations! Sort of an HF jack of all trades. Also I went nuts and installed all 3 transverters. Worked fine but then I did very little SSB on VHF afterwards. Very heavy with all the modules! Got great TX audio reports with a good mike attached. Worked fine with several mikes. Now it is a dated design, but if you can get a decent price, I would not hesitate to get it. (Now I have a super brain computer controlled software rig, that is broken. Got an "obsolete" radio to back it up.)

K6YC Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2005 00:09 Send this review to a friend
Love the Old Dog!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mu 767 for a long time and still love the way it works. No menues, no multifunction knobs just a great solid rig. If I can hear them, I can work them. It just does not get much better than this!

N6PJC Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2004 07:23 Send this review to a friend
Have done a lot with this Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the FT-767GX since the late 80ís and have had great results. The mod to open it for full TX was nothing more than flipping a switch and resetting the CPU. Shortly after buying it, I bought all the options (expansion modules, CW filter, and Tone Board). Thus, making it a true GXX model. The radio has had its time in the shop but it has been on dxpeditions to Iwo Jima, Minami Torishima and has been my main packet radio on the air for months at a time for years. I even modified the data input so it went directly to the discriminator for 9600 baud packet and satellite packet operation. The manual is incorrect and the mod was necessary for high speed data. I also had to change out the FM filter from a 15khz bandpass to 20 khz so I didnít have to move the VFO when tracking the satellites. This radio has been great for the most part. I donít like the way the top portion separates from the rest of the radio and fear I will cut the wires between the two when inside the radio. I also had to change the fan motor twice as it rattled too much. This radio also was the first, and perhaps last that needed a confirmation command when using the CAT. Thus, you had to have an extra wire for the CAT control to work correctly. I had my friend write a special EEPROM for my Trakbox to fool the radio by pausing and sending the confirmation command even though I didnít have the extra wire connected but it didnít work as well as I had hoped. Thus the radio never became a stand alone (non-automated) satellite radio but did work ok when AO-13 was alive.

Overall, the radio has performed very well and I should have wrote this review years ago. I would warn anyone about buying one via auctions sites with the words ďas-isĒ. Chances are you will be disappointed. Also, stay way from any radio that has the plastic knock outs removed and no modulesÖ it means the radio was parted out and the cover not only keeps dust out but helps with the airflow. Only trying to reduce possible (likely) disappointment.

In conclusion, here are two hints about the modules. 1. To open the VHF module for TX from 140-150mhz, hold the #3 key and power on the radio. 2. The UHF module can operate between 430-440 mhz or 440-450 mhz by moving the solder jumper pads from center to 1 or 2. To get the radio display to toggle between the two bands (display purposes only), hold the #0 key and power up. You can mount a external type switch if need be but it seemed more trouble that it was worth. I moved the solder jumper when I lived in the states, then moved it back when I returned to Japan; (to access the repeaters).

Good Luck,