Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-767GX Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-767GX
Yaesu FT-767GX Reviews: 24 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $2298.00 (US)
Description: HF 100w Multimode plus optional 6/2/70 10w modules & ATU.
More info: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FT767GX/?yguid=93970339

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-767GX.

N5NPO Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2003 07:39 Send this review to a friend
Great versitile rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I gor my 767 as incentive to upgrade to Extra Class by my Father, What a rig!!!
I had mine from early 1990 to 1994. I regret selling it. If I could hear a station,I could work it. I compared it side to side with a Friend's new FT-990 on 17m with some guys who had been talking to me for months and they couldn't tell which rig I was on. No difference in TX sound or RX on my end. S-meters even agreed. I didn't notice any of the complaints about non-linear frequency readout or have any blown bulbs in my meter. I had the 2m module and it worked flawlessly. The only problem I ever had was the VFO encoder shaft locked tight and had to be cleaned and re-lubricated. I do not know why. I did do a lot of knob spinning though! I would not hesitate to own or obtain another....

PY2ZS Rating: 4/5 Oct 17, 2003 15:44 Send this review to a friend
Good features  Time owned: more than 12 months
Although it is not a suberb rig, it has lots of features not found in any radio.

Its performance on 6m, 2m and 70cm is very good compared with many contemporary rigs. But don't expect a good performance in crowded bands, like in contests, but it is very good for DXing.

Transmit audio is tailorable, and always get good reports, either in SSB as well on FM. FM RX deserves a Hi-Fi grade.

Digital power/SWR meter is very accurate and RF speech processor with TX shift is a good match foir great TX audio!

Integrated DC (Has 24 Vcc!) power supply is light, compact and works flawlessly.

For SSB, a minor AGC modification (Never published anywhere) gives a great improvement.

It would be nice to have more memories (Has only 10) and a rotary selector. Band/mode memory would be welcome as well.

The mechanical design is a pain, specially for who needs to modify or repair it. Top cover and lots of jumper wires are terrible. Synthesyzer performance is bad and non-linear, as well its "poppy" rotary encoder. Lamp bulbs always burn and whatch out for backup battery that can leak sometimes.

If you like casual HFing, DXing, likes all-in-one rig and don't have deep pockets, FT-767GX is a good choice!

2E1GLS Rating: 4/5 Oct 1, 2003 10:07 Send this review to a friend
a good oldie  Time owned: more than 12 months
i have had my 767 for 7 years not without problems but it still keeps performing all but one of the faults have been easy repairs ( meter bulbs once, noisy fan replaced for a later type motor, battery backup my own fault i left it turned on while the radio was in storage alc preset which have a tendency to go noisy but there cheap to replace and one not so easy fault in which the 2mtr module developed a slow start i got a spare module which is fine but the original one still takes anything from 5 minutes to 3/4 houre to come up to speed once it fires up it works perfectly for as long as it is switched on. now for the good points i gave it a full alignment when i first got it and since then i have made loads of a/b comparisons with other on paper superior radios and surprised a few other hams when my old 767 could hear stations on 40 and 80 that theres could not i had it up against my ts50 ts450s jrc jst135 ft100 2 706icoms dx70th and three other peoples 450/690s plus quit a few more even ft1000mps without the inrad mods all the other peoples radios where compared on there own stations antennas and all agreed that my oldie either mached or beat there newer radios in crowded conditions there was no trickery its as simple as find a station on 80mtrs that is just not quit readable on a 450 flick the antenna switch and hear the station much to the dismay of the guys with there new shiny radios with better on paper specs i can't explain whats going on here its strange, the agc and general tone when going from a lively kenwood type sound to the 767 takes some getting used to and in easy conditions i have several radios i prefer but when the going gets tough the 767 gets going, the only radio to date that could hear stations better in crowded noise without dsp turned on was a 756 icom which surprised me because i thought that sounded noisy and rushed home to get the 767 expecting it to do another giant killing performance but no the 756 definatly was the better on the day but only by a small margin, whats going on here just how much do lab tests relate to real world conditions why do 2 different ft1000mps not show any real improvement over my 767 on 20/40/80 ssb when they are stacked with front end filters and if filters i repair radios and i just can't work it out, if anybody else can then please post the answer here. ps the tx audio is superbly readable with a datong asp rf processor and shure vocal mic it just walks all over any ham desk mic and any processor that is built in a radio including dsp for readability without sounding too harsh like say a heil at treble the price and that is not my opinion its what others tell me as well?????????? baffled.

N0JYC Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2003 17:40 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have owned this rig since 1989 (brand new) and have had many hours of pleasure with it. It is so versatile and I think ahead of its time. The audio is very good ....and I have had many, many very good reports on my audio. The features, built in power supply, automatic antenna tuner (works great), module slots for 2, 6 and 70cm made for so many memorable contacts.
I have not had any problems with vfo calibrations, receive has been very good. This rig sold for over $1800 when I bought it and sells now on the used market for $500 - $700 (depending upon the modules its equipped with). Great value.

SQ1EUO Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2003 05:10 Send this review to a friend
FT-767GX  Time owned: more than 12 months
I think it's great TRX. It've got so many functions. My TRX is in the good condition,and i haven't any problem with work in the all modies.The reciver is so good, CW mode works without problem ,sometimes I turn on the filter and then the audio is extraclass. AutomaticAntennaTuner is so good too. So I haven't any problem with this TRX.

73'SQ1EUO Jarek

KE4WY Rating: 0/5 Nov 28, 2002 04:46 Send this review to a friend
Awful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got to be the worst new HF radio I ever bought.

Found the Frequency readout to be non-linear and inaccurate. The receiver was very noisy and appeared to have serious intermodulation products.

Complained enough to Yaesu they had me return it to the dealer for refund.

AC5XP Rating: 2/5 Jan 27, 2002 21:07 Send this review to a friend
Not great  Time owned: months
I owned an FT-767 for about a year or so. I bought it new in the eighties and traded in my FT-757GXII when I bought it. It is probably the worst HF radio I have ever owned, and I have owned MANY. It almost turned me away from Yaesu for good (glad I did not do that because the FT-990 I bought later was the BEST radio I ever owned!) .
Problems were several: the frequency inaccuracy, the flimsy dial, the noisy synthesizer . But the worst was the fact that the radio was so sensitive for HF coming back into the shack. In those days I never had the space for big antennas and had to compromize with shortened dipoles and long-wires. The 767 does not like those kind of antennas, it goes bananas when it gets some HF back on its chassis. The control logic freaks out and the frequency starts to run off on itself! Also it sometimes did not unkey any more, I had to physically turn off the AC to get out of such a lock-up.
The receiver also was marginal, lots of intermodulation products when I listened on 20 and 15 meter from broadcast lower in the shortwave bands.
The plug-in modules for 50, 144 and 440 were a nice thing though, as a VHF rig it worked quite well (I had the 2m and 70 cm module)
Worth about $300 in good condition, the plug-in modules are probably worth $100 to 150 each

K6RAS Rating: 4/5 Sep 30, 2001 22:52 Send this review to a friend
Fine Business Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just picked this FT-767GX up on the used market. One of its features that I have come to appreciate is the fact that I can tune the AM broadcast band when I'm in the shack/computer room and working on things not related to Ham radio. On the other hand, I'm a little disappointed that it doesn't cover MARS frequencies.
Signal reports, CW and phone, have been excellent. Its receiver tuning, with "fast tuning" suppressed, is a bit coarse and takes a while to become accustomed to that. But tuning is very smooth, and the "fast" tuning feature makes moving across the bands a breeze.
Control placement is generally logical. The AGC on the rig I have has a fast attack rate, which makes the audio a bit choppy on SSB. The automatic keyer is wonderful.
All said and done, I'm happy to have been able to pick up this radio. I'm currently using it as my primary rig, at least until I've mastered it's operation, and I intend to keep in the radio stable as my primary "all-in-one" device.

K6RRS Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2001 23:41 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Radio for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my FT-767GX for about 6 years now. I bought it used then with all the modules. I have only had a few problems with the rig which I caused and Yaesu's repair center was quick with the repairs and the pep talk about how not to do it again. I have used the rig on all bands and all modes, with no problems what so ever. Wouldnt trade it for anything on the market today for the same price. The only problem I have had with this station other than my own doing is during field day running on generator pwr. It doesnt like it for too long. It just quit. when I got it back home and plugged it in to the house current it worked just fine. If you can still find one on the net I wouldnt hesitate to purchase it. All in all a fine rig for the money.

G0NIG Rating: 4/5 Jun 14, 2001 18:57 Send this review to a friend
Very Capable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a set I always fancied when it first came out in the late 80's. I was lucky enough to find a mint example with all modules and technical suppliments at a very nice price. I have mainly used the set for CW operation but occasionally I have used it for voice. Reports have been very good with comments on the audio being very favourable. I have had doubts about the AGC cct as there seems to be very little difference between the fast/medium/slow settings, though this has been mentioned in various reviews that I have read. In the UK I believe there was a modification available from one of the independant suppliers that improved the dynamic range and the AGC performance, I would be greatful if anybody has any info to this. This is one radio I will be keeping for a long time, probably as long as my FT101E which I have now had for nearly 20 years.

Regards

Nidge (G0NIG G-QRP 10202)