Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TM-732 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TM-732
Kenwood TM-732 Reviews: 14 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Dual Band VHF/UHF FM transceiver

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TM-732.

W4DXL Rating: 4/5 May 25, 2014 16:14 Send this review to a friend
Loved this Radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radio while I had it was probably installed in 4 different cars and I found it to be the best balance between easy of programming and useful features. The only reason I sold it was to help pay for the ID-800 D-Star rig. While I like having D-Star I often wish I still had this radio. It was a true dual band and could easily be used for cross band repeat. The downside is I had to replace the finals twice and from what I've read this seems to be a common problem. The final module is expensive. Lucky for me I found a repair guy who not only does good work but also at a very reasonable rate. This is one radio I wish I still had.

KC9NCS Rating: 3/5 May 23, 2014 17:28 Send this review to a friend
Decent Dual-bander - beware of intermod  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my TM-732A for about four years, replaced the battery when it kept losing memory.

Overall, it's a decent dual-bander if you're not in an urban setting. I live far SW of Chicago and out here in rural Will County it does a fine job. Decent receive, paired up with a Diamond Dual-band antenna and mount and typically don't have any issues being heard or hearing when I need to.

When I take trips into the city (Chicago) however, it's completely useless. Yes, this rig gets easily overwhelmed by intermod to the point of may as well just shut it off when I get to within a mile or two of Chicago. Forget about using it while downtown in the city at all.

If you can pick one up used at a cheap price and aren't in an urban setting, it's a good enough rig.

KD5FX Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2011 09:38 Send this review to a friend
Solid radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had 3 of these radios over the years. Still using the oldest one, it's been it lots of different vehicles over the years and also used it at home for a few years.
They work well and are pretty rugged.

ZL4TE Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2010 02:09 Send this review to a friend
Still going Strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
Moved to ZL and changed call from G0SVO to ZL4TE.

I sold one on the 732's just before the big move (in 2008) and it was still doing fine. I have the original one in daily use in the shack here. Still no problems with it, and it is now coming up for 20 odd years old.

A friend of mine did see an article on it referring to it as a "vintage" rig.

I have an FT817, but though the Kenwood is older and has less bells and whistles, the Yaesu stays in the box as a spare.

W5SRG Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2008 18:56 Send this review to a friend
Love it  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 3 of these. Had 4 and sold one to a buddy. One had the dreaded display problem that makes the radio look dead. Took out the bad leaky capacitor and replaced it and it was back up and perfect in no time. This was the first radio I had with a separation kit and I loved that. Great audio on tx and rx. Had these for 6 years or so now.

KD5CZF Rating: 2/5 Sep 14, 2008 03:07 Send this review to a friend
Fell to pieces  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked up this radio for maybe $125 at a hamfest and got about a years use out of it. The audio was always good and performance was fine. I really enjoyed the cross-band repeat. It seemed like a well made unit. Until...

A capacitor burst inside the faceplace. This is apparently a common problem but, because it is surface mount, not an easy fix. I did not even get that far because as I disassembled the screen the whole thing fell to pieces.

I still have the base unit and microphone somewhere. Wonder what I can do with them?

VE3OIJ Rating: 3/5 Oct 15, 2007 06:30 Send this review to a friend
Decent, but not awesome  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first mobile radio. Lasted about 4 years. Died for no obvious reason and now sits on my "things to look at when I get around to it" bench. Was good while it worked, though.

Cross-band repeat was so-so.

I replaced it with a D-700.

PU1-MLL Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2007 06:00 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Very easy to use. I do like it. As easy as an Alinco.

KE9K Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2006 09:28 Send this review to a friend
GREAT RADIO!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had mine for 12 years. NO PROBLEMS ! Joe ke9k

G0SVO Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2006 03:56 Send this review to a friend
So good I bought a second  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 2 732's, one in the car, one at home as a base. I bought the first one in the early 1990's and it has been totally reliable.

I was recently looking for a second dual bander to replace the handy in the car. Having reviewed all the rigs available, (on here and other sites) none seemed to massivly outperform the 732. A 732 came available and I grabbed the opportunity to buy it. This rig has performed as well as the first and given the price difference with newer comparable rigs, I would unreservedly recommend the 732 (if you get a chance). It is a straightforward rig to use when mobile.

Both rigs have had mods done (extended tx/rx).

I have a seperation kit in the car, and if you get the chance of buying one it is well worth it. Having checked with Kenwood, there are no leads held (anywhere in the world) for the head seperation unit.