Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TM-732 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TM-732
Kenwood TM-732 Reviews: 14 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Dual Band VHF/UHF FM transceiver

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TM-732.

K6SDW Rating: 3/5 Feb 20, 2006 12:56 Send this review to a friend
Good radio with issues  Time owned: more than 12 months
I can echo the comments from previous reviews...on both bands the receivers would fold up like cheap lawn chairs in the presence of strong intermod...thank heavens for receive PL!!

Also, my VHF final module crapped out along the way and had to buy new from RF Parts...me thinks it was/is a popular selling item for those guys...HI

Otherwise, radio performed to my expectations.

Cheers all......ed

N8EKT Rating: 2/5 Feb 20, 2006 12:41 Send this review to a friend
POOR RECEIVER  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
THIS RADIO SUFFERS FROM INTERMOD PROBLEMS AND IS EASILY OVERLOADED AND DESENSED EVEN ON 440!

K1GMG Rating: 4/5 Nov 14, 2005 10:56 Send this review to a friend
Great Features in a small rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this radio since 1994, it has worked every day without fail. Through the hot summers of Los Angeles to the cold winters of Connecticut. It's been mounted in numerous personal vehicles and as a base unit in the house. Easy to program, manual has very clear instructions, crossband repeat is a wonderful feature. The only reason I did't give it a 5 rating is because it does tend to get hit with intermod in some areas when mobile.

KB9BPF Rating: 4/5 Mar 11, 2005 20:35 Send this review to a friend
I like it a lot  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 732 is easy to use, even in a dark car at night. The buttons have simple, easy to remember functions for the most part. I seldom use fancy stuff like cross-band repeat. When I do I usually have to dig out the copy of the radio manual I keep in the glove compartment.

I bought mine used several years ago when my new car didn't have enough room to fit my old TM-731. The 732 has a detachable head which is pretty small and light. I attached it to the underside of the ash tray and installed a set of molex connectors in the 4-conductor cable coming from the radio (which I put under the seat). That way I had a sort of removeable "Slide mount" and I could stow the head out of sight if I was parking in a questionable neighborhood.

It did need a bit of repair along the way, though. Had to replace the VHF power amp module, available from RF Parts. Also some PIN diodes in the TX/RX switching. I think what happened is the uprocessor in the 732 went berserk from HF RFI created by my HF mobile installation when the autotuner was trying to find a match. After this I went back through and tidied up my HF grounds. Also looped DC power, antenna, control head cable, and ext. speaker lead around ferrite toroids to kill HF RFI. (Did that to HF rig too!) Haven't had any problem since.