Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond X-50A Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond X-50A
Diamond X-50A Reviews: 33 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: 2m/70cm Dual Band High Performance Gain Vertical Base Station Antenna

You can write your own review of the Diamond X-50A.

KD2GOE Rating: 1/5 Oct 2, 2016 16:24 Send this review to a friend
not good thumbs down...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had this antenna for 1 year the first one i got had BAD SWR on UHF 3:1+ and VHF 2.7:1
got a replacement in the mail Fast that was cool.. Got it all plugged in SWR was UHF 2:1 VHF 2:1.. It performs Worse then my MFJ UV-325 mobile antenna with a pole mount.. WHY???
on UHF
Diamond X-50A gets s9
MFJ UV-325 gets S40+ i don't get it...
as for VHF
Diamond X-50A gets s20
The MFJ UV-325 S20+
i would think it would be performing a lot better. but this antenna was not worth it...

The MFJ UV-325 i got it off a friend used the inside was complementary rotted out the silver coil in it was corded and open the little ceramic cap was done i made a new coil with 14awg copper wire and got a new high voltage cap that was over kill compared to the old one.. This busted antenna that i fixed has nicer SWR and better receive then the Diamond X-50A. i feel ripped off..

W4KVW Rating: 3/5 Nov 6, 2015 20:06 Send this review to a friend
It was just OK & Leaked  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned the X-50A for about 5 or 6 years & purchased it used from a friend who used it for about 5 years as well.It talked great but would fill up with water whenever it rained & it rains a lot here in Florida.The drain hole was always getting stopped up by dirt daubers & other insects which did not allow the water too drain out.The outside material was so thin that the water would pass through it & fill the antenna completely up.I took the antenna down & drained it & painted it with several coats of Krylon Plastikote & it stopped leaking finally. I replaced it with a Diamond V-2000 Tri-Band vertical that works just as well & on three bands best I can tell.I have not had any issues with water in the V-2000.

KK9H Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2015 19:51 Send this review to a friend
Excellent base station antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm guessing the previous reviewer got a defective one. My experience with the X-50 has been very positive. I have one on the roof of my house at 35 ft. and it works very well with my Kenwood TM-V71A. It has been up for over 6 years and I had a chance to look at it recently. It looked fine and did not appear to be affected by the weather. I live in the Chicago area and the X-50 permits me to easily reach repeaters out 50 miles or more. I have had many simplex base and mobile QSOs out to 25 miles or so, perfectly reasonable for an antenna like this. I also recently installed one on the roof of an office building for my local club's APRS digipeater and it is working beautifully in that role. I have been very pleased with the performance of the X-50 and would recommend it for the kind of use that I have described.

N2MTH Rating: 0/5 Nov 6, 2015 14:26 Send this review to a friend
CRAP !!!!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is by far the WORST antenna I've ever bought.
It barely can hear a 2 meter repeater that is 5 miles away. I put a dual band Larson 1/2 wave mobile antenna right next to it. Guess what ? The Larson hears the same repeater 3-4 S units stronger and people say I get into the repeater MUCH stronger !!!! The Diamond is 20 feet higher even !!!!
This was my first and LAST purchase of a Diamond product. What a waste of $100.
I wish I had bought a Ringo Ranger instead !!!!
What a piece of crap !!!!!!!!!

W4BGN Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2015 03:11 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had this antenna up for a while and it works great. Should last for many more years. If you buy this antenna, you will like it.

KI6OSH Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2014 15:51 Send this review to a friend
No problems...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had mine up almost one year and no problems whatsoever. At 35 feet, it hits repeaters in the SFO bay area with no problems. Typical Diamond quality, super. It's getting a blast of our hot valley summers right now and is not complaining at all. This antenna will probably outlast me. A great antenna purchase, in my opinion.

KC7NYI Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2014 07:11 Send this review to a friend
14 YEARS, GREAT  Time owned: more than 12 months
NO PROBLEM IN 14 YEARS. GOT FROM OPERATER WHO DIDNT LIKE IT. THE VERY BEST FROM ME. SINCE I AM HIGHER THAN THE CITY OF BOISE, I HAVE NO PROBLEM 75 MILES SIMPLEX.

W9AC Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2014 05:07 Send this review to a friend
An excellent purchase decision  Time owned: more than 12 months
Time owned and in service: 21 years. Rock-solid performance without failure. Mine is installed against a chimney, about 30 ft. AGL. The entire antenna, mast, and bracket are painted with Rust-Oleum flat-black charcoal grill paint. I have a HOA but it hides so well that it's gone undetected.

N3US Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2014 12:08 Send this review to a friend
Imrpoved Mechanical Construction  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased recently and installed on top of my HF Yagi mast at 70 feet. My unit had two set-screws to clamp it to the mast and this was mentioned as a recent upgrade in an addendum to the manual. I really like the fact that the PL-259 is installed way up into the tubing to avoid any water issues. So far the performance is excellent and I can hit repeaters in Richmond, about 90 miles away, with 10 watts. This antenna's construction and performance is superior to my previous Ringo Ranger.

W5KPM Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2013 22:52 Send this review to a friend
tough and awesome!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine in 2006, has been in variety of good and bad installationd and has performed flawlessly!