Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond X-50A Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond X-50A
Diamond X-50A Reviews: 32 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: 2m/70cm Dual Band High Performance Gain Vertical Base Station Antenna

You can write your own review of the Diamond X-50A.

N5LUQ Rating: 4/5 Mar 24, 2013 15:33 Send this review to a friend
Horrible Mechanical Connection  Time owned: more than 12 months
OK I made this post about the Diamond X-50 but it goes for all of the Comet and Diamond antennas. There is only ONE screw and a lock washer to screw into the support pipe and into the antenna. This will not hold the antenna base rigid! After a time this connection gets very loose and moves around like a sail boat tacking with the wind. Why can't Diamond or Comet put two more screws into the support pipe and into the antrenna thus keeping it stable? I cannot belive that I am the only one that has had a gripe about this. It is a horrible, single point, support that never is good in any application! What are the rest of you all doing to keep this from happening. The instructions do not address the issue.......The antenna performs well for its size when it is not swaying in the wind.

K7TCE Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2012 17:40 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Compared to a J-Pole, there is no comparison -- this antenna is a dramatic improvement. It's not quite as good as my X300A, but, it's only half the physical size. The X50A is small enough to deploy in the attic, and with the short radials is easy to throw in the back seat of a car. If I could only have one 144/440 antenna this would be it. Don't lose any hardware, as far as I can tell it's all non-standard stuff.

N8DXB Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2012 18:50 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this little guy in my attic for many years with real good results as my bad weather antenna. It works better than I thought it would being attic mounted.
I just purchased another one for the tower to use with my dual-band Rig in the garage.
For the price, quality design, and performance it is a must have.

KX6G Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2012 06:58 Send this review to a friend
A mighty big antenna in such a small package  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna installed since obtaining my technician ticket. For almost 20 years this antenna has performed beautifully. It's small size belies its big performance. I own two antennas in this line of diamond products. I have the X50s big brother the X5000 which I use on field trips, as its nearly 20 foot length would not allow me to fly under the radar with my homeowners association. Diamond makes a great antenna and highly recommend any antenna in this line. No doubt, construction gets a 10 and performance gets a 10... oh wait, I can only go as high as five of this forum.

I recently changed out the co-ax on the X50, opting for a longer piece so that I could use the antenna and operate from my downstairs office. while handling the antenna, I noticed what seemed like oxidation of the white fiberglass. I suppose being exposed to UV for all these years would cause some problems with the plastic components. Nothing serious just something I noticed. I guess that's my only complaint.

It's 5 foot length caused me some serious thinking about whether not try to adapt this for mobile use. But alas a good quality high gain mobile antenna would have sufficed just as well I suppose, so I opted for the more traditional type of mobile antenna instead.

You would not be disappointed if you installed one of these little babies.

IZ2EAS Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2012 12:23 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first X50 has been installed for more than 10 years now, without problems, at my holiday house, on the mountains; it got heavy doses of sun, rain, snow and ice. I was so satisfied with it that I purchased a second X50 for my main station in Milano. It is really a set-and-forget antenna, good performance and no troubles. Wish all the antennas were like that.

KJ6MSG Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2011 17:54 Send this review to a friend
Solid Performance  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Paired with my Yaesu FT-7900R, this antenna has given me solid performance. I receive nothing but good reports on my transmissions and I can clearly hear every repeater and public service/aviation transmission in the area. Very nice antenna.

W2NJU Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2011 14:48 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna For the Money  Time owned: more than 12 months
Low VSWR across 2m and 440. Withstood Irene from a chimney mount 40 feet up with no damage. No increase in SWR even in heavy rains. Solid signal reports. In short I love this antenna. Put it and forget it. Hopefuly for 10 years.

KE5JA Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2009 09:29 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Well built, very low SWR, all that I expected and more. The antenna is mounted half way down on the back side of my roof (keep the neighbors happy), and with 50 watts and the space station ~ 22 degrees to the south and east, I was able to maintain an eight minute QSO with NA1SS recently!

N0FPE Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2009 06:42 Send this review to a friend
Bee's knee's  Time owned: more than 12 months
works good for me.

WE8Q Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2009 06:14 Send this review to a friend
Strong  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Put this antenna atop my new tower. This antenna is like a baseball bat...very strong. Low SWR and excellent performance on both bands.