Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond X-50A Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond X-50A
Diamond X-50A Reviews: 25 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: 2m/70cm Dual Band High Performance Gain Vertical Base Station Antenna

You can write your own review of the Diamond X-50A.

KE5JA Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2009 09:29 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Well built, very low SWR, all that I expected and more. The antenna is mounted half way down on the back side of my roof (keep the neighbors happy), and with 50 watts and the space station ~ 22 degrees to the south and east, I was able to maintain an eight minute QSO with NA1SS recently!

N0FPE Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2009 06:42 Send this review to a friend
Bee's knee's  Time owned: more than 12 months
works good for me.

WE8Q Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2009 06:14 Send this review to a friend
Strong  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Put this antenna atop my new tower. This antenna is like a baseball bat...very strong. Low SWR and excellent performance on both bands.

W5XJ Rating: 4/5 May 28, 2009 17:14 Send this review to a friend
so far so good on 144/440  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just put it above my garage in the attic at 15 feet AGL and it is nice. Hits repeaters 30+ miles away, good quieting on locals. Perfect height - fits just under the roof peak on a broomstick for a mast in a milk crate with paint cans for ballast. The jury is still out on VHF DX, i keep calling on SSB but have few QSO's to show for it.

KJ4EOZ Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2009 14:24 Send this review to a friend
very nice antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been using this antenna for about 90 days now , and works very good . SWR's are flat on 2 meters and 440 1.1 but i am using 50 feet 9913 Coax .
and the antenna is up about 55 - 60 feet up .
the repeater im on most of the time , is 40 miles
away . and i can work it with 5 watts out of my FT-8800R . pick one up you will be happy !!!!

K1MRI Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2009 16:17 Send this review to a friend
Good to go  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 2 of these mounted about 35' up at the peak of the house, both up there for over 12 years. Using my HT I can hit machines some 30 miles away........on 5 watts! Easy to put together (this was my 1st antenna)and mount.

Looking for a great antenna look no further.

K2ID Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2008 20:39 Send this review to a friend
Fits in my attic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two in my attic. One on the north side and one on the south. I use a coax switcher to go from one to the other. Most of the time they receive and send about the same but there are some places that I can only reach with one or the other.

The short size makes it a perfect fit for my attic. Good enough to reach over 25 repeaters in NJ/NY area. Not very interested in VHF/UHF simplex so this antenna is perfect for me. Occasionally will use it with my 746 Pro simplex but I mostly use it with my Yaesu 817. 5 watts and this antenna is usually all I need to work the area repeaters and even a few in NYC.

N9HQ Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2008 19:28 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just a quick review, because if you are like me, long reviews bore me and I end up not reading them!
This antenna is fantastic and worth every penny I paid for it. Up 20 ft or so and I can hit repeaters 35 miles away with 25 watts! No complaints.

KJ6EF Rating: 4/5 Jan 31, 2008 18:10 Send this review to a friend
Good Performer, SWR on 70cm A Bit Odd  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live, as the old song says, "In a canyon, in a cavern." Well, take out the cavern part…but it's like trying to transmit out of a well on UHF around here in three directions, East, South, and a bit to the West. I had tried building all sorts of homebrew 2M/440 vertical omnidirectional antennas, but none seemed to be making the 440 trip out of this area very well.

I decided on the X50 because:

1. I live in a crowded neighborhood: within 300 feet of me are one 4-residence condo building, 5 "twinhomes", and three single-family detached.
2. Putting up something that looks like an 8' Ringo Ranger mated with a barbed wire octopus just wouldn't pass.
3. The X50 reputation was pretty good.
4. I'm stuck using one feedline. (Lots of reasons for this.)
5. I needed _some_ gain.

I mounted it on tripod atop a 15' mast, 6' above the roofline, and the results are very good indeed. A 440 machine I used to need 30 watts to get 70% quieting with the old antenna I could now get 100% quieting with just 9 watts. So the radiation pattern and the gain is very acceptable.

On 2M it's just about what you'd expect from a 5/8, but it does it well; the angle of the radiation pattern seems pretty good for all-round work.

One minor problem: the SWR is a bit odd on 440. While I realize that any dual or tri-band antenna is going to be a bit of a compromise, I was a bit surprised to see an SWR "bump" of 1.4 to 1 right in the middle of the published data's SWR curve, where it should be the lowest!

Here are the figures I got using a Diamond SWR SX-40 meter:

444 Mhz: 1.4
446 Mhz: 1.2
448 Mhz: 1.1
450 Mhz: 1.1

So, as you can see, there's a "bump" in the middle, where there should be a trough. (!)

On 2M, the SWR curve is _really_ flat, with no odd bumps.

The coax lines and SWR meter, mast, all were the same from previous antennas, and the coax line was SWR checked pretty recently, so it's pretty much got to be the antenna itself.

I called the local "candy store" where I bought it for some info, and was told that I could exchange it, but that mfr SWR charts are ideal cases, and I "might get one perfect one on 440 out of fifty antennas, but the curve would probably never be perfect on the other 49." Hmmm. I'm a newbie to UHF, and never built anything in this range before 2007 ( with aforementioned results), so perhaps they're right.

I did call Diamond about it, and they said they'd tweak it in for me if I wanted, but, hey, 1.4 to 1 is a very small loss indeed, and since it's making the trip for me, well, I may and I may not; the approx. .5 watt loss at 28 watts from SWR is not going to make for much; I'm losing more than that from the coax!

Still, the German in me likes to see a product make published specs and curves; I may have it tweaked. ("Es ist entweder richtig oder falsch!")

But it _does_ work very well.

(And homebrew multiband VHF-UHF antennas are hard to homebrew and get ideal results from; it's not like making HF or even VHF antennas.)

-Lin/KJ6EF

K6KGW Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2007 17:04 Send this review to a friend
Rugged & Efficient  Time owned: more than 12 months
Easy to set up. I have mine no more than 15 feet above ground and I can easily reach repeaters 30 miles away.