Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-725 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-725
ICOM IC-725 Reviews: 41 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $700 (used)
Description: 160m-10m; 100w SSB/CW/FM; 40w AM
More info: http://www.qsl.net/sm7vhs/radio/icom/ic725/ic725.htm

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-725.

KB2SEO Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2008 12:35 Send this review to a friend
AWESOME "DOITALL" Rig on a Budget  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ok- I'll say it- it is NOT my beloved 737 which I sold a while back- but for CW, Digital, just messing around to serious ECOM work- the 725 My Wife purchased as a gift to me- USED from a really nice Canadian Ham (no pun here), has done everything I put to it, and comes back for more. To show my point- I DEFY YOU to try this with ANY solid state Yaesu rig: One night over the winter, I woke up at 2:45 AM, could NOT for the life of me get back to sleep. I went to the shack, fired up the rig, and tuned in a PSK signal. the guy was down in the Windwards I recall, I fired back a reply and proceeded to QSO for almost an hour- He kept asking me to QRO- I was pushing her to the MAX, What the heck? Propagation wasn't shifting, He was solid at 35 watts. I looked at the SWR tuner on the 949EE- HOLY #*&%^()! I was on the wrong antenna and not even TUNED! 6:1 SWR! Oh no! "I killed the 725" I am thinking, he's asking me to QRO cuz I murdered the finals! I switched to the 20 meter vertical- the guy was now 10 over- and at about 20 watts back- SO WAS I! the rig got ,rather warm, shall we say? But to this day- I get about 105 watts out of her, 10 m-160m That Rig has been excellent! Next to the IC-737 I had , again purchased used from a Dx'er, this is without a doubt a treasured rig! If you get one- try it with a UNAMPLIFIED d-104, the results are great!

K7LRB Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2008 21:55 Send this review to a friend
Good, solid, basic rig.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I traded for my IC-725 several years ago and have used it from time to time since then. Having "elmered" my neighbor into ham radio I loaned him my 725 to get him started. We used it this past Field Day mostly on SSB with a hand mic.

It was used right next to another 100w rig and we did take care to NOT be on the same band at the same time. Never would have noticed the other radio at all, except that I could see them making contacts.

I used the 725 on CW and even though it does have a 375HZ filter installed I did not use it much. It just kept chugging along making contact after contact.... from a battery.

Look at what a radio is, what it is designed for. Don't compare a $300 radio (typical used price for a "like new" one) to a new Icom 7800 or an Orion II. For what it is the 725 is very reliable, very easy to operate and will provide many hours of ham radio FUN!

Just my experience folks, don't shoot the messenger!

de Larry

KJ4DAE Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2008 19:16 Send this review to a friend
First HF rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is my first HF rig. I bought it on eBay with power supply for 285.00. The person who shipped it didn't use any packing material, and the radio front panel circuit board and pots were broken. I was able
to get parts from icom and repair it my self, I don't think i could have done that with a newer radio. I get good signal reports,it also seems to receive well.
All and all,I'm happy with this radio and would recommend it as a good basic rig. If you can afford a new 1000+ $ radio by all means buy one,but for the money this old one works well.

Josh
KJ4DAE

KB9BIT Rating: 4/5 Jan 2, 2007 11:42 Send this review to a friend
Great starter rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine new in August of 1989 and it is still in use as my main rig. Obviously when compared to more expensive rigs with lots of bells and whistles, the 725 will certainly not match up, but it will hold it's own in a pileup. I have worked every major DXpedition in the last three years (since I became active again) using a low windom and 100 watts CW.

The 725 is starting to show its age, though. I am having problems with the RX going deaf when I power the rig on, but a quick flip thru the "bands" and the relay will click in and all is well.

The only real shortcoming I have noticed is the poor noise blanker. It works very well as long as there are no nearby strong signals. But with strong signals present the RX is overloaded and it becomes difficult to pull out the weak signals.

Unfortunately, I live in a high RF noise area and I need to use the noise blanker most of the time. Nevertheless, I enjoy this rig and will use it until it finally quits.

I would definitely buy another 725 if I were starting out all over again.

K8KAS Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2006 08:41 Send this review to a friend
Good Basic Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned 2 of them over the years both mobil and fixed standby rigs. They are a solid basic radio, a lot like the TS-140/130/120 and IC-718. No they are not a FT1000D or IC7800 but they work fine for casual operating and are not a DOG as one ham commented. They are stable/sensitive/ reliable and solid feeling rig with nice audio. What more can you ask for in a basic radio.

VE3WMI Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2006 01:20 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio Love Her  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this Radio since March of 1994, with her I have worked 225 countries with a 40 Meter Inverted "V" dipole and with a Homebrew Center Insulator to connect the Coax to. Ran the Radio Barefoot 100 Watts, and Got to work 3Y0X three times On Feb 14/2006 08:48 UTC and the other two times to prove that It wasn't a fluke. 5x9 signal was the result each time and the Apex is only 20 ft of the Ground. I was flabber gasted.

N0XMZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2005 11:31 Send this review to a friend
Great radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This review is probably a little biased because this is the first HF rig I've ever bought. I've had this radio a few months now and so far, I'm very satisfied with my purchase. I paid $275 and it was worth every dollar. Great RX and I can work every station I can hear.

It looks like it's even expandable to cover 60 m by cutting diode D5 (which I'm not exactly ready to do yet). I heard there was a QST article in '95 or '96 that had several mods for this radio and I'm currently looking into that.

I've also been looking for the optional (and hard to find!) UI-7 AM/FM unit. Without it, the radio has CW, SSB, & AM RX. If you have one for sale, please let me know!

VU2MTT Rating: 4/5 Apr 22, 2005 04:46 Send this review to a friend
Good One  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great ! for that price. Have been using it since 12 years without any problem. I bought it from my friend VU2MKW, used it regularly and won #1 in CQWW CW Low Power - Asia. (I remember in 1997).
Thanks ICOM for wonderfull ONE. I dont have filter, which I am looking for it for ultimate CW Fun. Compared with FT840 and both found equally good in features, size, performances also.

KL1RO Rating: 4/5 Mar 6, 2005 14:58 Send this review to a friend
Great rig for a newbie  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Had this rig since October 2004. Bought this rig and an MFJ tuner for $270. Picked up a CW filter and added it on a few weeks later.

This is my first HF rig and I am very happy with it. I have been able to make contacts with over a dozen countries and 18 states so far. Have played with CW, SSB and digital modes on this rig and all have worked well. I hope to add some of the other features to improve performance mentioned in other reviews. Speech processor and preamp mic are next on the list. I have not encountered the PLL problem, was probably fixed before I owned it.

I am happy with the way it has worked so far. My antenna setup is not the greatest (double zepp at 22 feet), but I have been able to make contacts over 9000 miles away (R1ANF on South Shetland Islands!), not bad for a "beginner" rig. Contacts with Japan and the west coast of the US are routine with this rig. Can't wait to see what this thing can do when band conditions are better.

If you are on a budget or looking for a good starter radio, take a look at this one. Nothing fancy, just a decent all around rig that will get you contacts. I was able to get on the air for under $300 and am having a blast trying out the various modes.

KV4DP Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2004 07:18 Send this review to a friend
Great little rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Icom 725 was the first rig I ever owned. I bought it in February 2001 and used it as a mobile rig in my semi truck until July 2003. A semi truck rides pretty rough and the only problem I had with this radio was a cold solder came loose on the speaker and a light bulb went out that illuminated the front panel.
I have used this radio to make contacts with over 20 countries worldwide from the cab of a semi truck and would highly recommend this radio to anyone looking for a tough little performer.