Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | High Sierra HS-1500 Screwdriver Help

Reviews Summary for High Sierra HS-1500 Screwdriver
High Sierra HS-1500 Screwdriver Reviews: 24 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $200-$300 Used
Description: Mobile HF+6m antenna
More info: http://www.cq73.com/

You can write your own review of the High Sierra HS-1500 Screwdriver.

K0JW Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2002 17:28 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic performer!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I moved into a CCR protected subdivision 2 years ago and after much thought, gave the High Sierra antenna a try. I have a raised 16' X 20' deck, so I mounted it to a railing and under the deck mounted wire meshing. I thought it would require lots of trial and error, but it worked beautifully on the first try!! I am a DX'er and haven't been dissapointed. I have worked Macquarie Island,S. Shetlands, India, China, Spratly Is, Greece, Ducie,Pakistan, to name a FEW , and have mainted Honer Roll on DXCC. After two years of operation, the motor went out on it, highly unusual, and Jim Heath had me send it back and replaced it and made some other minor adjustments. The cost? FREE!! Jim stands behind this product! BUY ONE. You won't regret it.

N1OLO Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2002 16:51 Send this review to a friend
One of the Finest Mobile Antennas a Ham Could Want  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my HS-1500 at Dayton in 2001 and have had nothing but good expiriences with it. Since I commute over 40 miles one way to work I spend a lot of time on the radio. The HS-1500 has performed flawlessly with swr's of 1.5:1 or less on all bands.

Tuning is a snap. I generally don't even need to look at the swr! I just listen for max noise on receive and am generally close.

I have my antenna mounted on a quick release mount made for me by N1YCI.

My wife actually said "I like the way that looks"!

I routinely get comments discounting the possibility that I am actually a mobile station. My best contact to date has been with VK land on 80 meters.

I researched the construction of the various "screw-driver" type antennas on the market and I have found the High Sierra line the best over all. The only addjustment that needed to be made, the matching coil for 40/80 meters, could be made without tools.

While the price you pay may be higher you are paying for a quality item.

N1GNV Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2002 06:56 Send this review to a friend
A-1 Product, A-1 Service  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had my High Sierra for almost a year. Truly a great product. Beautifully machined, top-quality construction and great performance. Outstanding support from the company, too.

U-Haul will install a trailer hitch for about $200. Makes mounting/dismounting a snap. The Am-Com automatic tuner makes mobile operation a breeze (and safer, too... no need to sneak peeks at the SWR meter while driving).

Consistently good signal reports... if I can hear 'em I can almost always work 'em.... including VK from the East Coast with 5W SSB!

Highly recommended.

73, John N1GNV

K4MZW Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2002 23:45 Send this review to a friend
Terrific Performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I researched all the popular "screwdriver" type antennas and found something I didn't like about all of them, until I looked at the HS1500 from High Sierra (www.cq73.com). This unit is top notch from all aspects. The paint is superb, the design bullet-proof, and the mounting options are excellent. I was able to completely install this antenna in less than 3 hours on my 2000 Chevy Silverado P/U. To date I have worked all bands and made contacts all around the globe. Even heard 4L4FH/P5 this past week but he went QRT before I could give him a call on 20 meters. Worked 4X6MM this morning on the first call. This antenna will give you a 1.3:1 or less on all bands 80-10 Meters with a little work and it will give flawless performance on the road. I especially like the receiver hitch mounting option with tilt feature. No other company offers this type of mount. If you are considering HF mobile for the first time or just ready for an option in the antenna department give this antenna a try, you will not be disapointed!

TEASHEA Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2001 19:50 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am using my 1500 as a base station antenna for my Yaesu Mark V and Yaesu 847. Because of covenants, I have to have my antennas in my attic. The 1500 is excellent. I installed 16 radials. I tune it using an MFJ 259B antenna analyzer, which is constantly available via an Alpha Delta console antenna switch. This is by far the best way to tune this antenna. Because of a narrow bandwidth (as with all such antennas), the extention of the antenna coil is critical. This can best be accomplished by using such a setup. Even visually marking the coil or using the SAM unit is not accurate enough.

VE3HI Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2001 23:32 Send this review to a friend
B-E-S-T MOBILE ANTENNA I HAVE EVER USED. PERIOD.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Installed onto a trailer hitch three weeks ago. Worked All Continents in the first few hours. Worked at least 50+ countries while on vacation from Ohio to Florida to Washington DC and back home to Ontario. I have used other mobile antennas and had purchased and planned to try the ICOM AH-4 autotuner with a plain whip.... but what's the point? I simply cannot believe the performance of this antenna. The most common comment was effectively "cannot believe you are running mobile with that signal". Broke pileups during the WPX contest while zipping along the Interstates with the XYL logging for me! The ICOM IC-706MKIIG with the High Sierra HS-1500 is in my humble opinion the ultimate mobile setup. Be sure to get the little gizmo that plugs into the back of your IC-706 and turns the transmitter on for about 20 seconds so that you can tune up easily. I was so impressed that I picked up the phone and called High Sierra Antennas in California, long distance, shortly after installing the antenna...... Install this antenna and your rig properly.... taking the time to ground as much as possible.... and I promise that you will be delighted as I was.... I honestly felt like I was operating from my home. Unbelievable.

KF0XQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2001 09:59 Send this review to a friend
A FINE PRODUCT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased High Sierra's Sierra Gold Package for installation on the rear bumper of my '94 Ranger. The only items I had to supply were a power cable to the control box and a mount of some kind. I had a heavy duty bumper mount fabricated at a local machine shop to support HS's Universal mounting bracket and the antenna. Installation from this point is easy if you follow the instructions.
The antenna has performed flawlessly since installation. I am using it with my IC 706 Mark IIG with a 706 Tune Control by Better RF Co. Just push the tune button and watch for minimum reflected power on the radio's SWR meter, and you're good to go. In most cases, if you can hear 'em, you can work 'em. SWR is flat from 10M down to around 3900, then the curve begins to rise to about 1.7 on 3500. 6M is flat, but you have to remove the whip.
Removal of the whip is simple because it has a quick disconnect, and removal of the entire antenna takes less than 2 minutes.

I can't reccommend a finer product for mobile HF.

N1KFC Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2000 19:41 Send this review to a friend
Impressive antenna and support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After looking at many options for mobile hf antennas, I settled on the High Sierra (www.hsantennas.com) HS-1500 which covers 3.5-30 MHz continuously as well as 6m. UPS delivered a crushed box and a damaged antenna but the folks at HS sent another one out the same day that I called them, despite having to leave for a hamfest.

This antenna provides impressive performance, is easy to tune with the supplied control box and matched well to my IC-706mkiig. I use the fold down receiver hitch mount on my jeep grand cherokee. It provides sturdy support and was simple to install (without drilling holes) but allows me to easily open the back of the jeep or remove the antenna, or both the antenna and mount with ease. Several other mounting options are available as well.

I also ordered the tripod with attached foldup ground screen for the HS. With the high sierra and tripod in the backyard (setup took literally 2 minutes) and the 706 on the back porch July 4th weekend, I logged 19 countries and many domestic contacts and received mostly 59 reports. Site/space restricted, field day, and emergency ops hams might be well served to look at this setup.

The antenna is solidly built to handle 800w (from specs) yet lightweight. The custom mounting scheme facilitates removing the antenna from vehicle or tripod in seconds. The quality of the antenna design and construction is surpassed only by the quality of the customer service.

IMHO, for performance, size, flexibilty, ease of use, coverage, price, and customer support, the high sierra is the best on the market. Do I like the antenna? Well enough that I just ordered a second one.

VE7CRA Rating: 4/5 May 6, 2000 04:28 Send this review to a friend
A superior quality hf mobile antenna.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned my HS 1500 for nearly a year now, mounted on a heavy duty, custom built front bumper of my 97 Dodge diesel 4x4. Over the last 30 years I have owned virtually every commercial hf mobile antenna made. The only antenna I have ever been able to keep operational was a Webster "bandspanner", & antennas I have made myself. The HS 1500
is a good performer, probably the best of the current crop of mobile hf antennas. I have had a number of difficulties of a mechanical nature with the antenna. The taper pin "quick release"
mount is a delight, & a "why didn't I think of that?" item. Brilliant, & well made! The nylon or plastic insulator bushing that the taper pin rests in is way too delicate. Mine continually allowed the antenna to rotate in it, thereby wrapping the impedance matching coil around the pin! I had a new bushing machined from a block of Delrin(tm) & no more problem.
The mounting bracket snapped off at the top bend, because the 90 degree angles had not been welded. I attached doublers to the sheet metal, added gussets to the top plate, & welded everything together....no more problems. The toroidal coupling ring managed to eviscerate itself
because of the antenna wand unscrewing itself by reason of coming against the travel stops, as pointed out by another reviewer. It was replaced & no further occurrences. The antenna has been electrically intermittent on 75m since I opened it up to change the coupling coil, so I believe that is finger trouble on my part. This week , something internal has shorted in the antenna, & it is currently in my shop, awaiting my inspection. I have a hunch that the problem is road salt incursion, & that a thorough cleaning will solve the problem.
I expect that those reading this will think that I have been cursed with a "Monday morning" antenna. I am pleased, on the whole with this unit. I haved owned three of the "screwdriver" style antennas, & they have, with the exception of the HS1500, proven to be unreliable in the extreme. The 1500 is light (comparitively) has no finger stock to cause problems, & is backed by exceptional technical & customer support. I cannot overstate the level of customer support I have enjoyed from High Sierra. HF mobile antennas require constant maintenance in the form of cleaning connections, tightening mounts etc., if they are to perform reliably. Even the antennas I build myself, that are huge , ugly kluges, fail in the hostile environment (vibration, roadsalt, dirt, shaking from washboard roads etc.) in which I operate them. I believe that the HS 1500 will perform reasonably reliably when mounted on a vehicle used in a more benign environment.
I would recommend this antenna on the basis of factory support alone. The screwdriver style antenna enjoys greater efficiency than other styles for reasons written up in the amateur & professional literature. This screwdriver antenna enjoys mechanical & electrical advantages over its competitors that should not be ignored. It tunes smoothly, & it's resetability is excellent.
Cosmetically, it provides minimum "visual impact" for those who care, or whose xyls' care!
High Sierra offers mounting solutions that eclipse those of their competitors, & given the frangibility of today's crop of vehicles, this is an important consideration. I am sufficiently impressed with this antenna, that I intend to order another for a second vehicle.

N4ZW Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2000 11:10 Send this review to a friend
Extra S unit on receive  Time owned: unknown months
I've had my High Sierra antenna for several months now and have been very satisfied with its overall performance. In a QSO with Bill, W0OP, yesterday morning, he mentioned that he had replaced the HS supplied whip with one approximately three feet longer. This, he claimed, had significantly improved his receive signal strength approximately 1 S unit. Not having immediate access to a longer whip, I experimented with using a 2 meter Ham Stick. The audio difference on all bands was - at least to me - remarkable. My HS is finished in black and the black Ham Stick is a nice touch. This weekend, I will be trying 20/40/and 80 meter Ham Sticks and will report back on findings. Those interested in doing a little experimenting with this excellent antenna might give Bill's idea a try.