Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | Gap Hear It Module inline DSP filter Help

Reviews Summary for Gap Hear It Module inline DSP filter
Gap Hear It Module inline DSP filter Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $200
Description: An inline filter with up to -20dB of noise attenuation selectable at 8 levels, using state-of-the-art, fully adaptive, active DSP to remove unwanted background noise. This results in improved clarity, absence of noise , greater readability, easier to understand audio. It features an 8 step sensitivity control knob. Audio input and output is via 3.5 mm mono mini jacks or RCA phone. There is also a headphone socket. This device requires 12 to 24 VDC at 500 ma. It is supplied with a mini to mini (3.5mm to 3.5mm) audio cable and fused power lead
More info: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/filters/4048.html

You can write your own review of the Gap Hear It Module inline DSP filter.

WV2M Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2013 19:14 Send this review to a friend
Indispensible  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had this unit for about 6 months now and it works great. Even though my rig (TS-2000) has internal DSP I end up using this unit in lieu of the rig's. Reduces (does not eliminate however) noise, hiss, static crashes, etc. I found that DSP level 2-3 is the best for me. Highly recommended.

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2011 11:50 Send this review to a friend
GREAT Product! }:>)  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I wrote a review on this unit but for some reason it did NOT show in the reviews after I posted it? I used one on these units on an OLD ICOM 275A & when I turned it on it was like I had UNPLUGGED the coax from the radio as far as noise went but I then could hear weak signal stations that were there before but hidden in the noise.I have owned one of these units & a couple of the speakers & if I had another rig without DSP I would buy another one for use with it as well.GREAT product for ANY receiver or rig without built in DSP.

Clayton
W4KVW

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2011 21:22 Send this review to a friend
GREAT!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Had one on an old ICOM 275A & it made it hear what I had NO idea was even there until I turned it on. GREAT addition to ANY radio or receiver that does NOT have DSP.The speakers they make are GREAT as well.

Clayton
W4KVW

WU0R Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2011 16:22 Send this review to a friend
Great Addition to the Shack!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was in the process of purchasing a used one from a guy off Eham, but turned out to be a bad experience. So, purchased a new one. Wow. Filters out just about everything you can imagine and easy to use. Some of the controls/switches are bit cheesey, but if you use care, and don't poke around in the interior, shouldn't be a problem. Have mine hooked up to two recent models of transceiver that have DSP and it takes even more noise out! Check out the DSP with TS940 Demo on You Tube. Impressive to say the least. No dinking around with controls, settings, etc. One selectable filter level, and that is it!

N9CAR Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2010 07:24 Send this review to a friend
The Best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had 2 of these over the years and both have worked great! I have a solid S-7 and sometimes higher line noise and both took the noise down to S-2 or less...mostly less.
And without distorting the audio. All the hiss and white noise disappears so it is great to use.
I have used 2 or 3 other noise filters but none worked on my noise like the GAP does!

N4VNV Rating: 4/5 Feb 28, 2010 07:18 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased mine new four years ago. I like it very much. BUT it is priced way too high.
NOTE: The fuse holder is made of inferior plastic. Mine broke the first time I checked to fuse.

KG6R Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2010 19:43 Send this review to a friend
It's Very Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an excellent DSP filter. It is far better than the internal filter on my Yaesu FT-897D and it enables me to use older rigs in poor conditions. I highly recommend it.

W4HKL Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2009 11:42 Send this review to a friend
Does what it's supposed to do  Time owned: more than 12 months
A great addition to an older rig or a newer one without DSP (Alinco DX-70, for example.) The filtering takes place at the AF level, but it's still good and the difference in audio quality is like night and day - without all the white noise and hiss.

I have no problem recommending this unit and plan on buying the internal DSP unit they sell to place in a Kenwood TS-50 to update it with DSP.

All in all, a great device that has magnified my amateur radio experience tremendously.

ps. I use a SGC external speaker with AF (audio frequency) DSP with my DX-70 in the mobile - again, without the hiss and white noise my radio experience has been improved a great deal. If you're not using DSP and are a casual SSB operator, you don't know what you're missing.

VE3LNY Rating: 3/5 Sep 24, 2007 16:53 Send this review to a friend
A little disappointed  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought one of these in Dayton this year so I've been using it for about 5 months now. I don't disagree with the above reviews, but I have not found the noise reduction all that satisfactory. The reason I bought the unit was to improve copy on weak signals on 80M. Perhaps I'm asking too much, but on weak signals the performance is marginal. It works fine on stronger signals, but for those I don't need it all that much.

I also find that the price is a bit high for what you get. I opened the case and there's not much inside, just a tiny circuit board. The operation of the buttons is confusing and inconvenient, and the buttons are too tiny. Finally, it is inconvenient switching from speaker to headphones.

This unit needs a rotary switch to select the DSP level so you know what it is set at, and a larger button or switch to turn it on and off. It also needs a headphone jack on the front so you don't have to unplug the speaker.

NN5G Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2007 06:04 Send this review to a friend
A Very Useful Tool!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have tried similar products in the past with limited success. However, the Gap Hear It Module inline DSP filter is a winner. I have purchased other products from GAP and have been quite pleased with all of them. I have found this item to be invaluable in hearing signals I otherwise would not hear. It seems to eliminate atmospheric noise and is even helpful with lightning crashes. Some have mentioned a "watery" sound when the unit is used at higher gain values and that is true, but you are still allowed to hear a signal that you would not hear otherwise. So, would you rather hear the signal with the “sound”, or not at all?

I have had a few of my ham friends try the Gap Hear It Module and they are amazed at how effective it is…. 73 de Paul, NN5G