Reviews Categories | Towers, masts, accessories, climbing gear | Glen Martin Towers Help

Reviews Summary for Glen Martin Towers
Glen Martin Towers Reviews: 38 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $189 for 8' model
Description: Roof Top Towers
More info: http://www.glenmartin.com/roofmount.htm

You can write your own review of the Glen Martin Towers.

N7RST Rating: 0/5 Apr 6, 2010 08:29 Send this review to a friend
Piece of Crap - No Support  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, I had to update some info. The winch system they use, who only knows where they came up with this item, you have to be Hercules to crank the hazer down, no binding, etc. I suspect the winch is bad. Contact GM and as usual, no response, no support.

Some of the "lock" nuts they use on this thing are loose, which I have never seen on a Rohn tower.

Already went thru the cable snap incident and their "technical depart" telling me to climb the tower. No way in hell.

This company must be run my marketers that know nothing about safety, design, etc.

Never again. Next time, a crank up tower from a real company.

Too many other issues to list here, but you get the drift from other users also.

WA7SCH Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2009 21:41 Send this review to a friend
Roof top 9 foot tower  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Tower came in a couple of boxes. Went together as the instructions indicated. All of the hardware was good and all of the tower pieces were well produced. I didn't notice any quality problems with what I received.
Put the tower up on the roof using 2 x 6's in the rafters instead of 2 x 4's. Fit right into the rafter and the support board indicated in the directions just sit right below it.
The tower seems pretty solid and it went together the way you would expect it to.
The only "complaint" was they were out of stock and I had to wait about 1 1/2 months for the thing to show up. This got it into the rainy season here in Seattle. Got chased off the roof 3 times in squalls - not a fun thing to put a tower up in. It looks like it will weather anything we have up here.
Cheers,
Mike WA7SCH

WF0GM Rating: 3/5 May 30, 2009 09:07 Send this review to a friend
Model M-1850A  Time owned: more than 12 months
I really wanted a US Tower TX-455 55' crank-up but the shipping cost was $900 compared to $200 for the Glen Martin M-1850A. Also, the TX-455 comes on a truck assembled and I had no idea how I was going to get it off of the truck when it arrived at my QTH. I was able to unload the Glen Martin from the truck by opening the crate and unloading the tower piece by piece. (Heaviest part about 35 lbs.)
I really was interested in a tower I would not have to climb, so the M-1850A seemed to be my best choice since it came with a Hazer.

I had never built a tower before so it took very careful planning, and still I had issues that I should not have had due to poor customer service.

The good things:
The tower was fairly easy to unload and assemble.
I did not need a crane to unload or erect it.
It looks great being made out of aluminum.
It is strong enough to handle a Minnesota winter.
The sections are engineered to fit together nice and snug.
I should not have to climb it again.
The tower meets my needs.

The bad things:
The base was not designed like the literature I had received so it put some confusion into the mix. I talked to an engineer there who assured me that it would be strong enough, but I welded reinforcements to the base section and a rebar cage for the hole anyway.
I found many loose bolts so I tighted each one (600) by hand.
I had to order an extra messenger line kit.
I had to order three extra base nuts, and buy lock washers from another vendor.
I had to install a lightning rod on the top of the mast, because the Hazer is electrically isolated from the tower.
I got wise and bought MUCH BETTER copper ground wire from a local lightning protection vendor for MUCH less than what Glen Martin offered.
The guy clamps need extra bolts. One slipped during raising, and forced a climb to correct the problem after it was erected.
Customer service was just not that great.

But if I had to do it all over again, due to the fact that I do not own heavy equipment, I still think I made the right choice and I would recommend the tower for those people.
If you have heavy equipment at your disposal, I would recommend getting a different tower such as a TX-455.

If you like me have never built a tower before, you may read about my entire experience and see photos on my web sight here:

W7IS Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2009 16:58 Send this review to a friend
Great Value  Time owned: more than 12 months
4 years ago I installed an RT-26 4 sided tower on the front deck of the home. Its survived many 100mph wind storms and never once complained. Its a great product in a roof tower but it does have a few rough edges that you have to sort out during assembly. I originally placed a blog on AOL 4 years ago but AOL shut down the blogs. So today I made up a new google blog at the following link: Describing in picture detail how I managed the installation. Its worked out so well over the past 4 years, I plan to install another one at our new QTH this summer.

W7PSK Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2007 08:55 Send this review to a friend
9ft tower is very sturdy  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Ive had my GM tower up about 5 months now and its solid as a rock. Ive a Cushcraft A-4 above it about 4 feet. Im not a small person (near 300#) and I could stand on it when we got it installed on the roof. I used 2x10s in the rafters and bolted down through them.

The tower is rock solid and hasn't swayed or moved with near 80mph winds we've had so far.

I'm really pleased with it.

K4QE Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2007 22:11 Send this review to a friend
RT-936  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased an RT-936 and a heavy duty 9' aluminum mast to support an Optibeam OB9-5 and a Yaesu G-1000DXA rotator. It was mounted atop my two-story home. It utilized a Yaesu GS-065 thrust bearing at Glen Martin's suggestion because they stopped producing their own.

Tower assembly was very easy, and I had no problems at all. No burrs or misdrilled holes in my tower! It took me about two hours of careful work to assemble it. The thrust bearing and rotator fit perfectly.

I deviated from Glen Martin's instructions and used a pair of 2x10s across the rafters in my attic and eight lengths of all-thread (one for each bolt hole in the feet of the tower) through the 2x10s to brace the tower. It made for a VERY sturdy installation. I never experienced any creaks or rattles when high winds struck my area. I had no fear whatsoever about the resiliency of the installation.

A friend with a bucket truck mounted the tower on my roof and placed the beam on the tower. It was up for one year before I sold my home and relocated.

I was very pleased with the tower, and I would have no hesitation in recommending it. A friend bought my tower when I relocated, and it was in like new condition when I delivered it to him.

73, Tony

N0AH Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2007 21:25 Send this review to a friend
RT-1832 17.5 foot tower lessons  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The main reason I decided to post this is due to the experience I gained in putting this tower together.

First, Sam Jones at Glen Martin Engineering Inc. at Ph: 1-800-486-1223 x 228 was awesome in his service. From the time of my first inquiry to my last question today, he has been 100% professional.

Professional in answering my calls, helping coordinate requested infromation by my professional engineer, (PE) and county, and dealing with explaining how this tower goes together.

Now that the tower is built, it is solid. I am reviewing it before it is going on the roof but with the PE drawings and the use of a professional contractor, I am not worried.

All hardware was there. Only one piece had a mis-drilled hole and it was replaced via UPS right away. With over 200 holes, I think this was FB.

OK, so what didn't go well.

Dealing with my county. I had to throw around the PRB-1 book at them and go through the top of the planning department then the building department for my permit.

They didn't want a tower of significant height to have a chance to fall in my neighbor's yards. So there went the idea of a 50 foot crank up tower in smoke.

I countered with a roof-top tower that would give me about 45 feet of combined height using the house without risk of a 17.5 foot tower falling into the neighbor's yard.

I would win in court with my free standing crank up via PRB-1 but I found compromise was in the best interest of all and so did the county. Besides, the roof top was a lot, and I mean a lot, less expensive.

When the county building department saw the tower and MO PE certiication stamp, they insisted that a Colorado PE needed to review the tower and design the roof reinforcement drawings.

So I started at the ARRL for a volunteer CO PE. They had three. Two had died and one was MIA. So I did an internet search and kept running into $1,500+ bids.

But there is always a call to service by certain individuals who realize how important our hobby is and I received my drawings and Colorado PE stamp from PEI Consultant Engineers. They worked directly with Glen Martin to get the converted numbers needed to meet Colorado's stringent requirements. (Check with your local requirements as my PE has nothing to do with your specific installation)

As for the assembly, the tower is packed well but it is a bit overwhelming at first. I used a permanant marker on each piece to make sure I didn't loseor confuse it with anothwer piece.

In the manual, the pieces have 6 digit stock numbers and then the same part has a 2 digit part number on the drawing. So I just marked the piece with the part number and made sure the rods were marked as either diagonal or horizontal. This was time consuming but in the long run, it save hours of time.

There was some question as to how to use the bolts and threaded nuts. My vote is to use the head of the bolt on the inside of the tower and the nut attaching to the bolt on the outside of the tower. It leaves a lot more room when having a lot of corner bolts so close to one another.

When tighting bolts, we used a variable drill and an OPEN end wrench 7/16 both sides. Before this during construction, we hand tightened the bolts and nuts until the entire tower was done. We found that beginning to tighten the bolts for final assembly from the bottom of the tower worked a lot easier. It also gave a chance to be more precise with tighting the bolts and nuts near the rotor cage.

The rotor cage is a confusing mess at first but takes shape once you can support the brackets with the tower construction. Still, like a couple of reviews I have found on the internet, the cut slot for the rotor screws are just a bit too small for my Yaesu 450 bolts to go through to attach the rotor. It won't take much to modify but it is a bummer.

The tower legs did have a few burrs. But all screws went threw and evey diagonal and horizontal rod fit perfectly.

As for the ladder, I'll be using 4x4 wood blocking between trusses bracketed between the tower base plate and two Unistruts with two 1/2 inch through bolts. The unistruts will span accross 4 truss bays to distribute the load. For me, I'm comfortable. But check with your own PE. I could be dead by the time you read this (-:

This is no way a one person 4 hour job. It took myself and another person 7 hours to finish the tower and I still have to finalize the rotor fittings and put on the mast and thrust bearing.

The tower will support a light weight 5 wire beam antenna. The planned antenna, an Opti-Beam OBW-10-5, only has a 3.2 sq ft wind load at 119 KMPH. No problem for the tower.

In my county, the tower had to withstand a 100 MPH wind with 1/2 inch of ice on the tower for at least 3 seconds..........unguyed. Plans passed with flying colors-

OK, so from what you can see, most of my review is about the red tape. No fault of Glen Martin. But Glen Martin really, and I mean really, needs to get a manual with detailed drawings of critical sections. There are holes on the tower legs that don't fit to anything.

I could have save several calls to Sam, my sales person, if the manual had basic information. This really is unexplainable.

On the internet, I would suggest looking at the following website:

Also, there are a couple of E-Ham reviews on this tower with links to home pages. Any where that you can find photos is a blessed event until Glen Matin gets their manual straight. Some people don't have a problem with it but it I really struggled.

Outside of this, the support made up for this and I really appreciate Glen Martin's time in helping to get the information I needed to meet my county's requirements, help for my PE, and help to guide me through building this- The obviously take pride in ownership- Very cool-

I would strongly suggest you call them for a roof top tower-

K0CWO Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2007 18:09 Send this review to a friend
RT-424 so far so good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This 4.5 foot roof tower went together easy. I purchased a Yaesu (Vertex) GS-065 thrust bearing along with it. The bearing fits the top bolt pattern fine. My Hygain Ham IV rotor bolts inside the tower nicely as well. The whole setup (minus rotor) set me back $200. I plan on mounting a 2 element HF beam, a 2/440 beam, and a 2/440 vertical on it. It is plenty sturdy for that when properly mounted. I don't have it on the roof yet, more to follow.

KG2V Rating: 3/5 Dec 24, 2006 16:35 Send this review to a friend
Do they hire beavers?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
OK, I don't know how well the tower will hold up, but the workmanship on the tower I just put together is kinda poor. Almost every hole has burrs, ditto the cuts. The cross bars that the rotor mounts on - the slots are punched, and on one of them, you can see the double punch. At least one leg has a spot where they started to drill a leg in the wrong spot

I have a basement machine shop, and could do a LOT better

FROMABQ Rating: 4/5 Oct 22, 2006 19:54 Send this review to a friend
Sturdier than expected  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It's interesting to see the wide variance in reviews here.

I purchased an 18' roof tower that is mounted on my patio roof and supports a 3 element SteppIR beam. Overall, I'm very happy with the final result.

The tower arrives in an amazingly small box, about 2 inches by 8 inches by 8 feet. The box contains LOTS of parts. You have to bolt the whole thing together. This took 3 or 4 hours of work but, actually, it was kind of fun.

When the tower first arrived there were some problems with missing and misdrilled parts but the Glen Martin folks were very responsive in getting the correct parts out to me and fixing the problems.

Before I got it put up I was concerned about overall strength and the effect it would have on my roof. I put it up with blocking and with no guying as described in the instructions and the result was very sturdy -- much sturdier than I thought it would be.

We get very strong winds here and the first time we had a good blow (40 to 50 mph winds) I climbed up on the roof to see how it was holding up. The SteppIR was flapping around quite a bit but the combined roof/tower structure hardly seemed to notice. No sign of flex or strain at all and no creaking in the roof.

It's been up for about 6 months now with no problems despite some pretty hefty storms this summer.

All in all I'm very happy with the result.