Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | Cubex Yellow Jacket 2-70 Help

Reviews Summary for Cubex Yellow Jacket 2-70
Cubex Yellow Jacket 2-70 Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $120
Description: A 4 element 2 meter and 6 element 70cm quad antenna
More info: http://www.cubex.com

You can write your own review of the Cubex Yellow Jacket 2-70.

WC3O Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2007 13:29 Send this review to a friend
Cool beans  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Super little antenna. Went together easy. Works great. Great SWR. You can lift it with one finger. Works every bit as well as some much bigger antennas I have used.

One change I made: I used a hot glue gun to keep the spreaders in place at the boom. They don't really try to move on their own, but I wanted to be sure.

They say to use RG-8x, not RG8. You will have no problem making the loops on the boom. I taped mine down to keep the loops tight.

Hey, catch you on the air.
73 DE WC3O

W7RJR Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2005 22:57 Send this review to a friend
Works like a champ  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
While a little time consuming to assemble, the instructions were clear and many of the parts were color coded. Like most quads the elements are made of wire that is stretched over various lengths of non-conductive rods. Care should be exercised not to break the element rods. The fiberglass boom seemed to be very sturdy and the elements mated nicely. I was expecting an SO-239 connection on the driven elements, but Cubex uses a terminal strip to fasten the coaxial cable to the feed point. Cubex recommends the use of direct attachment of RG8 and to wind part of it up on the boom as a choke/balun. I departed from this procedure by attaching an 8 ft section of RG58 to the terminals (which was much easier to wind on the boom) and terminating each with an SO-239, to which I attached a duplexer. Now I could feed the dual-band quad with one length of 9913 coaxial cable.

The antenna is very light but remarkably sturdy.
SWR was very good and flat on 70cm and about 1.3:1 on two meters. The antenna exhibited excellent F/B ratio at least 25-30 dB. This is an excellent all-around antenna and I highly recommend it. One glitch that I experienced was that the webpage that depicted the antenna did not note that there are TWO different kinds of boom to mast assemblies, a standard T connection for PVC and an optional extra charge U-bolt/Plate type assembly. Cubex has corrected this oversight.