Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu VX-6R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu VX-6R
Yaesu VX-6R Reviews: 126 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $$275 USD
Description: 144/220/440 Triband Handheld Transceiver
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu VX-6R.

N7FAA Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2016 08:23 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The VX-6R is a great radio, full of features,
very well built, rugged. This is my first Yaesu radio, all my radios are Icom so I wanted a small portable VHF/UHF radio that had a wide RX bandwidth at an affordable price. This Yaesu VX-6R fit the bill. I was looking at the VX-3R at first but decided on the 6R instead because of the volumn control and being water proof. Yes you have to READ the manual to learn how to use the radio. The manual is well written and explains very well how to use the radio. Some of the poor reviews here are probably due to ignorance rather than the radio. This is a well built radio full of features at a reasonable price. It is easier to manually program than a Baofeng radio. Kudos to Yaesu.

G3GJW Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2016 15:41 Send this review to a friend
No problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the VX-7R and VX-8E for several years without any problems.

Smudge, G3GJW.

KA2Z Rating: 1/5 Jun 28, 2016 13:04 Send this review to a friend
HUGE Learning Curve!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
You better have a lot of quiet time to spend a lot of personal time learning how to use this radio.
I work full time and have a family.
I dont have that kind of time.
The manual is full of errors.
Written by somebody who English is a second language.... sigh.
UTube videos are helpful.

Bottom line-- this radio is horribly complex.
Yeah it does everything, but you are going to have to learn trial and error and basically write your own manual in a note book.

K9FB Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2016 17:50 Send this review to a friend
Great after a tune-up  Time owned: more than 12 months
I received my VX-6R as a gift. It was purchased used on eBay, but it was in like-new condition with the original box and accessories. Immediately I noticed its performance was not up to expectations. The receiver audio was somewhat distorted, and the transmitter range was short. A quick bench test confirmed that it was off frequency by about 2.5 kHz on every channel. After a bit of online research, I found the details of the hidden service menu, and within a few more minutes it was spot on frequency. Now the audio is loud and clear, and the transmission range is equal to my other radios of equal power. It offers an enormous amount of operating flexibility in a very small package, and it has performed very well after the initial tune-up. It continues to be an excellent all-around HT.

VE6BGM Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2016 19:13 Send this review to a friend
Love it  Time owned: more than 12 months
For all the reasons that CCRs don't do!

N4ZN Rating: 0/5 May 15, 2016 09:13 Send this review to a friend
Robbery  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Say what you will about your beloved vx-6r. To me, it wasn't even as good of a brick, as a brick is. How's that for a comparison? All I can say, is, I bought two of these poor excuses of a high end ht. If I wanted to monitor shortwave, I already have a portable shortwave receiver. The ONLY reason I went with the vx-6r, was, at that time, it was the only ht out there that did 146/440, and was waterproof (vx series). I ordered a new chicom pos, as you called them, at I price I could have gotten 5 of them for the price of the yaesu. No, it doesn't recieve shortwave, or tinkle on 220. It also doesn't cost $240. What it DOES do, is recieve 146/440, and transmit there as well.... RELIABLY. If you're happy with your vx, GREAT! Glad you made a satisfactory investment.... as I would call it, at the price they're charging for them. I just expected more... maybe even similar performance to its peers. I needed it for kayaking. And it HAS to perform when I need it. If I couldn't maintain reliable contact with a repeater 10 miles away, on flat ground.... I couldn't even imagine trying to make contact up and out of a river gorge. My review was simply for others to take into account when investigating in an ht of this caliber. I tried two of them, and my opinion is, TWO THUMBS DOWN. Taken out by a Baofeng BF-A58, with stock antenna, for $45. IP57 waterproof rating, and a two year manufacturers warranty. Added on another 2 years thru Amazon for $3.53. Now... I'm happy too.

W2ZOU Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2016 03:21 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio, Great Company  Time owned: more than 12 months
The vx-5r/6r/7r represent Yaesu's last best radios. When you go through the entire menu system you begin to realize how much technology is built in. Considering the size, its a marvel of engineering. I am not surprised the htx-202 is a better 2 meter radio than the vx-6r. Keep in mind that's all the htx-202 does. How well does the htx-202 receive shortwave? Oh, you did not mention it does not do that. Try fitting the htx-202 in your shirt pocket. Try using the htx-202 on 440. Oops, does not do that either. Its a completely unfair and misleading comparison. Plus, I can imagine the htx-202 can only transmit for 90 seconds before that obsolete NiCad battery died. Come on guys, when you review a radio, review the whole radio. Don't trash it because you could not connect to your favorite repeater seconds after you took it out of the box. Compare single band 25 year old radios with other single band 25 year old radios. Compare Chinese radios of questionable quality to other Chinese radios of questionable quality. Compare the vx-6r to the Kenwood TH-F6A , that's a pretty close comparison, and you know what, it will be a close race. The vx-5r/6r/7r series are very complex very capable radios. Take some time to learn them and they will give you years of great service. The comparison to the Chinese radios are the best. I have a 25 year old vx-5r that still works as new (and its still serviced by Yaesu!!). Lets see how your Chinese radio does in 25 years. I bet not one single part of the radio will work in 25 years, even the buttons will have deteriorated into dust. Try calling Wouxon in 25 years and tell them you have a problem with your radio.

KA2DDX Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2016 09:35 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's unfortunate that anyone would have a problem with the VX-6R - I've had mine since 2005 - I use it for amateur radio - and use it as a scanner as well - I've taken it on trips and have used it in the home and car -

it has yet to fail me in any way -

Regards,

Larry KA2DDX

N6BIZ Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2016 18:41 Send this review to a friend
GREAT  Time owned: more than 12 months
HAVE MINE FOR OVER A DECADE , NEVER A PROBLEM

WB8VLC Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2016 17:39 Send this review to a friend
excellent rx and tx  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased 2 of these one for me and a 2nd for a new ham family member to replace some pitiful chicom cheap POS handhelds.

The performance on all bands is improved on both the tx and rx over a Wouxan spurious POS HT and 2 similar junk Boecrap vhf/uhf uv82 and a vhf/220 uv82x.

No rx images issues in the big city of portland and phoenix's intermod alley of South Mountain and White tank Mountain sites.

Additionally Unlike the chicom junk, I haven't had any overload on rx and the transmitter harmonics as measured on a SIG-HOUND SPEC AN exceed FCC requirements which is something neither the wouxon nor the boecrap could come close to.

146 and 440 performance is similarly improved over the wouxon and both boecraps and with the stock antenna even at 1 3/4 watt on 220 the 220MHz performance is very good.

Similarly with the little stock antenna swl performance is also fine but even more enjoyable with a short homemade active swl whip.