Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu VX-6R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu VX-6R
Yaesu VX-6R Reviews: 130 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $$275 USD
Description: 144/220/440 Triband Handheld Transceiver
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu VX-6R.

KK4JUG Rating: 4/5 Jul 14, 2017 18:53 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Good Radio! It has some shortcomings. The first that comes to mind is the 1.5W on 220. I see no reason why. My Anytone tri-band has 5W on 220. It can be a complicated radio and people have down-rated it for that. All of the features are noted in the ads. The fact that someone doesn't have the time or isn't capable of using the features isn't the fault of the radio.

I like the waterproof feature. I haven't had a chance to try it yet but I can certainly see the benefits.

The manual says the LED transmit/receive light is also supposed to indicate charging status. Mine doesn't and that's a minor inconvenience. I don't know whether they designed that feature out and didn't change the manual or whether it just isn't working on my radio. The screen still shows whether it's charging or not.

Overall, I like the radio. To simplify programming, I also got the RT Systems program. I like their programs but that's for another review.

N6BIZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2017 08:27 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great

WT8P Rating: 4/5 Apr 7, 2017 21:58 Send this review to a friend
Sturdy radi  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first post-license radio, chosen because it's rugged and waterproof, a necessity when hiking in the Pacific Northwe't. The MH-73A4B waterproof speaker/microphone is nice addition as it's loud and clearer than the built-in speaker. For portable operations, I use a Comet SMA-24 dual-band antenna. When I set up a base camp (such as running field for net control), I use a J-Pole.

The manual is well-written. The learning curve for the radio's primary functions, setting up repeaters, manual seeking, was surprisingly low. The first, most important function I discovered was how to disable WIRES. (Nothing says "I'm a new ham" faster than beep-boop-beep preceding each transmission because you inadvertently touched the clover key.)

Battery life has been adequate to run a small, four-hour net control station. For longer events, I've brought a couple of homemade power packs based on Lithium 18650 cells - two of these are nice hot spares.

Overall performance has been better than the Baofeng my SAR friends have used, although the external microphone helps a lot. When I've tried Winlink, the VX6R is much more predictable whereas the BF seems to struggle with sustained transmit. On the other hand, the UV5R is so ubiquitous, there are a lot of well-documented mods for it, such as the cable for a PiGate.

One nit I have is when the radio's off and the charger is plugged in or removed, the radio speaker crackles. Sometimes, rather than charging, it will go into a weird standby mode.

I did run into some sensitivity issues in NBFM mode that seem to occur with this line of radios that was still under warranty. (The issue is also mentioned on
WO9U's web site, http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~timc/e/vx7r.html)

K1FDD Rating: 2/5 Nov 6, 2016 06:57 Send this review to a friend
Receiver problem on some models  Time owned: more than 12 months
I went all in on a VX-6R about 5 or so years ago. Spare Batteries, waterproof mic, earpiece, etc. I loved this radio! Used it at Boston Marathon twice with great success. Then one day I couldn't hear the repeater a few miles away...AT ALL! Turns out several of the VX-6R, 7R and even a few 5R have an issue where the receiver dies. Yaesu initially wouldn't acknowledge the issue and I put it in a drawer for a few years. Recently, I found some info on line to repair it and hoping might be able to restore it. Hope the batteries lasted too. When it worked 4/5 to 5/5.

Link to description and repair of VX7: http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~timc/e/vx7r.html

If you want to do HF monitoring, get a TH-F6A. The 6R only does HF AM.

N7FAA Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2016 08:23 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The VX-6R is a great radio, full of features,
very well built, rugged. This is my first Yaesu radio, all my radios are Icom so I wanted a small portable VHF/UHF radio that had a wide RX bandwidth at an affordable price. This Yaesu VX-6R fit the bill. I was looking at the VX-3R at first but decided on the 6R instead because of the volumn control and being water proof. Yes you have to READ the manual to learn how to use the radio. The manual is well written and explains very well how to use the radio. Some of the poor reviews here are probably due to ignorance rather than the radio. This is a well built radio full of features at a reasonable price. It is easier to manually program than a Baofeng radio. Kudos to Yaesu.

G3GJW Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2016 15:41 Send this review to a friend
No problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the VX-7R and VX-8E for several years without any problems.

Smudge, G3GJW.

KA2Z Rating: 1/5 Jun 28, 2016 13:04 Send this review to a friend
HUGE Learning Curve!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
You better have a lot of quiet time to spend a lot of personal time learning how to use this radio.
I work full time and have a family.
I dont have that kind of time.
The manual is full of errors.
Written by somebody who English is a second language.... sigh.
UTube videos are helpful.

Bottom line-- this radio is horribly complex.
Yeah it does everything, but you are going to have to learn trial and error and basically write your own manual in a note book.

K9FB Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2016 17:50 Send this review to a friend
Great after a tune-up  Time owned: more than 12 months
I received my VX-6R as a gift. It was purchased used on eBay, but it was in like-new condition with the original box and accessories. Immediately I noticed its performance was not up to expectations. The receiver audio was somewhat distorted, and the transmitter range was short. A quick bench test confirmed that it was off frequency by about 2.5 kHz on every channel. After a bit of online research, I found the details of the hidden service menu, and within a few more minutes it was spot on frequency. Now the audio is loud and clear, and the transmission range is equal to my other radios of equal power. It offers an enormous amount of operating flexibility in a very small package, and it has performed very well after the initial tune-up. It continues to be an excellent all-around HT.

VE6BGM Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2016 19:13 Send this review to a friend
Love it  Time owned: more than 12 months
For all the reasons that CCRs don't do!

N4ZN Rating: 0/5 May 15, 2016 09:13 Send this review to a friend
Robbery  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Say what you will about your beloved vx-6r. To me, it wasn't even as good of a brick, as a brick is. How's that for a comparison? All I can say, is, I bought two of these poor excuses of a high end ht. If I wanted to monitor shortwave, I already have a portable shortwave receiver. The ONLY reason I went with the vx-6r, was, at that time, it was the only ht out there that did 146/440, and was waterproof (vx series). I ordered a new chicom pos, as you called them, at I price I could have gotten 5 of them for the price of the yaesu. No, it doesn't recieve shortwave, or tinkle on 220. It also doesn't cost $240. What it DOES do, is recieve 146/440, and transmit there as well.... RELIABLY. If you're happy with your vx, GREAT! Glad you made a satisfactory investment.... as I would call it, at the price they're charging for them. I just expected more... maybe even similar performance to its peers. I needed it for kayaking. And it HAS to perform when I need it. If I couldn't maintain reliable contact with a repeater 10 miles away, on flat ground.... I couldn't even imagine trying to make contact up and out of a river gorge. My review was simply for others to take into account when investigating in an ht of this caliber. I tried two of them, and my opinion is, TWO THUMBS DOWN. Taken out by a Baofeng BF-A58, with stock antenna, for $45. IP57 waterproof rating, and a two year manufacturers warranty. Added on another 2 years thru Amazon for $3.53. Now... I'm happy too.